Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Carnival Rides
According to the dictionary, “literally” now also means “figuratively”                            I_icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2024 5:03 pm by kenlej

» Go Russia
According to the dictionary, “literally” now also means “figuratively”                            I_icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2024 11:37 am by kenlej

» Go Russia
According to the dictionary, “literally” now also means “figuratively”                            I_icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2024 10:51 am by kenlej

» Textbook Tony
According to the dictionary, “literally” now also means “figuratively”                            I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2024 4:13 pm by Mission1st

» The Rockefellers and the controllers are freaking out right about now
According to the dictionary, “literally” now also means “figuratively”                            I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2024 11:16 am by kenlej

» Phony Tony sez: Full Steam Ahead!
According to the dictionary, “literally” now also means “figuratively”                            I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:51 am by Mission1st

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
According to the dictionary, “literally” now also means “figuratively”                            I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am by Mission1st

» Russia aren't taking any prisoners
According to the dictionary, “literally” now also means “figuratively”                            I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm by kenlej

» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
According to the dictionary, “literally” now also means “figuratively”                            I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» ZIGPLACE
According to the dictionary, “literally” now also means “figuratively”                            I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
According to the dictionary, “literally” now also means “figuratively”                            I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
According to the dictionary, “literally” now also means “figuratively”                            I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
According to the dictionary, “literally” now also means “figuratively”                            I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
According to the dictionary, “literally” now also means “figuratively”                            I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
According to the dictionary, “literally” now also means “figuratively”                            I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
According to the dictionary, “literally” now also means “figuratively”                            I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
According to the dictionary, “literally” now also means “figuratively”                            I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
According to the dictionary, “literally” now also means “figuratively”                            I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
According to the dictionary, “literally” now also means “figuratively”                            I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
According to the dictionary, “literally” now also means “figuratively”                            I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

According to the dictionary, “literally” now also means “figuratively”

+2
pinkdragon
Ponee
6 posters

Go down

According to the dictionary, “literally” now also means “figuratively”                            Empty According to the dictionary, “literally” now also means “figuratively”

Post by Ponee Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:31 am

Thursday, Aug 22, 2013 03:51 PM EDT

According to the dictionary, “literally” now also means “figuratively”                           

Thanks in part to the overuse of "literally," Merriam-Webster says the word can now mean its exact opposite. Huh?

According to the dictionary, “literally” now also means “figuratively”                            800px-Dicti_indent-620x412
(Credit: Wikimedia)

Much has been made of the use, misuse and overuse of the word “literally.”
Literally, of course, means something that is actually true: “Literally every pair of shoes I own was ruined when my apartment flooded.”

When we use words not in their normal literal meaning but in a way that makes a description more impressive or interesting, the correct word, of course, is “figuratively.”

But people increasingly use “literally” to give extreme emphasis to a statement that cannot be true, as in: “My head literally exploded when I read Merriam-Webster, among others, is now sanctioning the use of literally to mean just the opposite.”

Indeed, Ragan’s PR Daily reported last week that Webster, Macmillan Dictionary and Google have added this latter informal use of “literally” as part of the word’s official definition. The Cambridge Dictionary has also jumped on board.

How did this come to be? Mainstream use of “literally” to provide emphasis to a statement was aided in recent years, perhaps, with the help of a couple of popular sitcoms. Parks and Recreation’s Chris Traeger (Rob Lowe) extends his liberties with the word even further with his pronunciation (LIT-rally) and the frequent misuses of the word in “How I Met Your Mother” even helped inspire a drinking game. But I digress…

Webster’s first definition of literally is, “in a literal sense or matter; actually.” Its second definition is, “in effect; virtually.” In addressing this seeming contradiction, its authors comment:

“Since some people take sense 2 to be the opposition of sense 1, it has been frequently criticized as a misuse. Instead, the use is pure hyperbole intended to gain emphasis, but it often appears in contexts where no additional emphasis is necessary.”
So it’s okay to use literally to mean figuratively as long as you really, really, really need to do so? Hmph.

By Dana Coleman

http://www.salon.com/2013/08/22/according_to_the_dictionary_literally_now_also_means_figuratively_newscred/
Ponee
Ponee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

According to the dictionary, “literally” now also means “figuratively”                            Empty Re: According to the dictionary, “literally” now also means “figuratively”

Post by pinkdragon Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:11 pm

What a coincidence....I literally just got off the phone with someone who literally said literally 47 times. I literally couldn't even focus on what they were saying because I was literally just counting all the times they said literally!

LIT-rally!
pinkdragon
pinkdragon

Back to top Go down

According to the dictionary, “literally” now also means “figuratively”                            Empty Re: According to the dictionary, “literally” now also means “figuratively”

Post by Ponee Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:21 pm

I LITERALLY found that sooooo funny PinkDragon!

Don't you just hate when an obsessive personality grabs hold of particular word or phrase?
Ponee
Ponee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevind53 Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:26 pm

It lt rally drives me crazy ... lit rally! eys
Kevind53
Kevind53
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by pinkdragon Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:27 pm

Two other ones are "like" and "you know"

Like you know how people, like, can't, you know, get out an entire, like, sentence, without, you know, saying "like" and "you know" every other word?

You know, Ponee and Kevind53?? 

According to the dictionary, “literally” now also means “figuratively”                            3508649203
pinkdragon
pinkdragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevind53 Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:41 pm

Here in Vermont a local one, especially with older folks is "yup yup." When you are telling them something, they will punctuate your sentences for you with that.... I guess that's to let yo u know they're listening ....
Kevind53
Kevind53
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by PALMER01 Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:26 pm

You guys are crackin me up.According to the dictionary, “literally” now also means “figuratively”                            3508649203
PALMER01
PALMER01
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevind53 Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:29 pm

yup yup ...
Kevind53
Kevind53
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by aksafeone Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:14 pm

Yup, yup!!!  Literally!!!
aksafeone
aksafeone
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by wpsmit Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:55 pm

Well uh, I like totally, well uh agree totally with well uh all of like y'all!
wpsmit
wpsmit
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum