Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Go Russia
News Ping Pong: Now Geithner says the USA is playing a central role in helping Europe! Say what? USA with $14 Trillion debt? I_icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2024 11:37 am by kenlej

» Go Russia
News Ping Pong: Now Geithner says the USA is playing a central role in helping Europe! Say what? USA with $14 Trillion debt? I_icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2024 10:51 am by kenlej

» Textbook Tony
News Ping Pong: Now Geithner says the USA is playing a central role in helping Europe! Say what? USA with $14 Trillion debt? I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2024 4:13 pm by Mission1st

» The Rockefellers and the controllers are freaking out right about now
News Ping Pong: Now Geithner says the USA is playing a central role in helping Europe! Say what? USA with $14 Trillion debt? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2024 11:16 am by kenlej

» Phony Tony sez: Full Steam Ahead!
News Ping Pong: Now Geithner says the USA is playing a central role in helping Europe! Say what? USA with $14 Trillion debt? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:51 am by Mission1st

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
News Ping Pong: Now Geithner says the USA is playing a central role in helping Europe! Say what? USA with $14 Trillion debt? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am by Mission1st

» Russia aren't taking any prisoners
News Ping Pong: Now Geithner says the USA is playing a central role in helping Europe! Say what? USA with $14 Trillion debt? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm by kenlej

» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
News Ping Pong: Now Geithner says the USA is playing a central role in helping Europe! Say what? USA with $14 Trillion debt? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» ZIGPLACE
News Ping Pong: Now Geithner says the USA is playing a central role in helping Europe! Say what? USA with $14 Trillion debt? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
News Ping Pong: Now Geithner says the USA is playing a central role in helping Europe! Say what? USA with $14 Trillion debt? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
News Ping Pong: Now Geithner says the USA is playing a central role in helping Europe! Say what? USA with $14 Trillion debt? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
News Ping Pong: Now Geithner says the USA is playing a central role in helping Europe! Say what? USA with $14 Trillion debt? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
News Ping Pong: Now Geithner says the USA is playing a central role in helping Europe! Say what? USA with $14 Trillion debt? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
News Ping Pong: Now Geithner says the USA is playing a central role in helping Europe! Say what? USA with $14 Trillion debt? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
News Ping Pong: Now Geithner says the USA is playing a central role in helping Europe! Say what? USA with $14 Trillion debt? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
News Ping Pong: Now Geithner says the USA is playing a central role in helping Europe! Say what? USA with $14 Trillion debt? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
News Ping Pong: Now Geithner says the USA is playing a central role in helping Europe! Say what? USA with $14 Trillion debt? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
News Ping Pong: Now Geithner says the USA is playing a central role in helping Europe! Say what? USA with $14 Trillion debt? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
News Ping Pong: Now Geithner says the USA is playing a central role in helping Europe! Say what? USA with $14 Trillion debt? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
News Ping Pong: Now Geithner says the USA is playing a central role in helping Europe! Say what? USA with $14 Trillion debt? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

News Ping Pong: Now Geithner says the USA is playing a central role in helping Europe! Say what? USA with $14 Trillion debt?

2 posters

Go down

News Ping Pong: Now Geithner says the USA is playing a central role in helping Europe! Say what? USA with $14 Trillion debt? Empty USA Mindswitch: Increasing IMF Funding is now okie dokie...I bet I know where the "funds" are coming from!!

Post by KAI Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:54 pm

Wait a minute! Last week, the USA's stance was that the European Nations needed to work harder to solve their own problems. Today: More IMF funding? Oh, that sounds fne to us. Does anyone get the feeling the USA will have more discretionary funds to spend very soon? News Ping Pong: Now Geithner says the USA is playing a central role in helping Europe! Say what? USA with $14 Trillion debt? 203646764 News Ping Pong: Now Geithner says the USA is playing a central role in helping Europe! Say what? USA with $14 Trillion debt? 203646764 News Ping Pong: Now Geithner says the USA is playing a central role in helping Europe! Say what? USA with $14 Trillion debt? 203646764 We know where it's coming from...

U.S. signals comfort with IMF bid for more funds

News Ping Pong: Now Geithner says the USA is playing a central role in helping Europe! Say what? USA with $14 Trillion debt? ?m=02&d=20120418&t=2&i=596423655&w=460&fh=&fw=&ll=&pl=&r=CBRE83H1MWT00

Timothy Geithner, U.S. treasury secretary, arrives for the start of a meeting of the Financial Stability Oversite Council in Washington April 3, 2012.

Credit: Reuters/Joshua Roberts

By Glenn Somerville

WASHINGTON | Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:12pm EDT

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States on Wednesday threw its support behind a bid to boost the International Monetary Fund's financial resources, signaling greater satisfaction among Group of 20 nations with Europe's efforts to resolve its debt crisis.

The U.S. government will not chip in more money of its own, but warm words from Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner for commitments by others may clear a path for G20 nations meeting this week in Washington to agree on a way to bolster the IMF's war chest.

The idea is to bulk up so the Fund so it can aid non-European countries that get caught up in the maelstrom emanating from the euro zone.

The effort to expand the IMF's coffers is expected to dominate a meeting of G20 financial officials over dinner on Thursday and during the day on Friday. It will also be front and center at the IMF's semi-annual session on Saturday.

Speaking at the Brookings Institution, Geithner said commitments that have already flowed in should make it apparent to financial markets that the Fund can bulk up quickly when necessary, a prospect that could ease crisis-related jitters.

To underline the point, Japan's ambassador to the United States, who was in the audience as Geithner took questions, stood to remind him that Tokyo was putting up $60 billion more for the IMF. Sweden and Denmark also have announced an additional $17 billion in commitments.

Geithner said it was a positive that the IMF could raise money quickly to "cushion if necessary the effects of European trauma" on the economies of other nations.

"We're actually very supportive of that process and we'll be very supportive of it this week," he said. Even though he repeated that the United States will not chip in with more money for the IMF, Geithner avoided past rhetoric about Europe needing to do more first.

HOPING FOR A DEAL

IMF Managing Director Christine Lagarde said in an interview published on Tuesday that she hoped for agreement this week on raising the lending agency's funds by at least $400 billion. In January, the IMF had said $600 billion was needed, but it cut that estimate as financial fears have eased.

While Europe has won some praise for actions it has taken to build up its own firewall, the IMF warned this week that the debt crisis is still the single greatest threat to a moderate global recovery from the 2007-2009 financial crisis.

"Solving the issues in Europe is not about a firewall, it's about decisions that will be taken in Europe over a sustained period of time; and it's European actions that will be decisive here as opposed to outside money," Bank of Canada Governor Mark Carney told a news conference.

Carney, who also heads the global Financial Stability Board, said the G20 had yet to reach a consensus on how to proceed.

Like the United States, Canada has ruled out putting more money into the IMF. "Really, the Europeans need to step up to the plate much more than they have," Canadian Finance Minister Jim Flaherty told reporters in Toronto.

But in Mexico, Finance Minister Jose Antonio Meade sounded an optimistic note about a deal for more IMF money. He said commitments made by Japan, Sweden and Denmark were a sign of good progress -- a potentially significant comment because Mexico, as this year's G20 chair, has a chance to shape not only the agenda but also the outcome.

"It creates a good environment for the meeting," Meade said of money pledges.

Germany's finance minister, Wolfgang Schaeuble, predicted in an interview with Reuters on Tuesday that a deal would be reached this week.

In report on global financial stability, the IMF offered advice for Europe: set a course for fiscal union to match the existing monetary union so that unified policy can be passed that works equally for members and makes it harder for financial markets to single out the weakest for attack.

"European authorities need to provide investors with a clear vision of where monetary union is going, because the answer to this is more and better Europe, not less Europe," IMF financial counselor Jose Vinals said as he issued the report.

Among its recommendations, including central supervision of European banks, the IMF suggested that the European Union should also consider injecting capital into banks using public funds - a tactic the United States employed in 2008 when the banking system was at risk of collapse.

(Additional reporting by Stella Dawson and Rachelle Younglai in Washington, Krista Hughes in Puerto Vallarta and Louise Egan in Ottawa; Editing by Dan Grebler)
KAI
KAI
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

News Ping Pong: Now Geithner says the USA is playing a central role in helping Europe! Say what? USA with $14 Trillion debt? Empty Re: News Ping Pong: Now Geithner says the USA is playing a central role in helping Europe! Say what? USA with $14 Trillion debt?

Post by Kevind53 Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:14 pm

Timmy Boy is still saying the US will not be kicking in any more funds ... just that we would support efforts by the other counties.

Trust but Verify --- R Reagan Suspect

"Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you."1 Thessalonians 5:14–18

News Ping Pong: Now Geithner says the USA is playing a central role in helping Europe! Say what? USA with $14 Trillion debt? 2805820865  News Ping Pong: Now Geithner says the USA is playing a central role in helping Europe! Say what? USA with $14 Trillion debt? 2805820865  News Ping Pong: Now Geithner says the USA is playing a central role in helping Europe! Say what? USA with $14 Trillion debt? 2805820865  News Ping Pong: Now Geithner says the USA is playing a central role in helping Europe! Say what? USA with $14 Trillion debt? 2805820865
Kevind53
Kevind53
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

News Ping Pong: Now Geithner says the USA is playing a central role in helping Europe! Say what? USA with $14 Trillion debt? Empty News Ping Pong: Now Geithner says the USA is playing a central role in helping Europe! Say what? USA with $14 Trillion debt?

Post by KAI Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:52 pm

affraid affraid affraid

Geithner: U.S. key in helping Europe (1:30)

April 18 - Ahead of upcoming meetings of G20 finance ministers and the semi-annual gathering of the International Monetary Fund and World Bank, U.S. Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner says the U.S. is playing a central role in helping Europe- and any suggestion to the contrary is wrong. Bobbi Rebell reports.

LINK: http://www.reuters.com/video/2012/04/18/geithner-us-key-in-helping-europe?videoId=233568707&videoChannel=5

TRANSCRIPT OF VIDEO CLIP:

U.S. Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner defended the United States' role in helping Europe deal with its debt crisis. He spoke at the Brookings Institution ahead of a series of meetings that will focus on Europe. SOUNDBITE: U.S. TREASURY SECRETARY TIMOTHY GEITHNER (ENGLISH) SAYING: "We are the only ones providing assistance directly to Europe, other countries are not willing to do it directly and they are only doing it through the IMF in that context, and of course, the IMF is backed up by the United States in significant effect. So, it is a mistake to see this and suggest that the United States is holding back from and standing apart from this broad effort." On the U.S. domestic front, Geithner says he is taking a balanced approach to economic reforms. SOUNDBITE: U.S. TREASURY SECRETARY TIMOTHY GEITHNER (ENGLISH) SAYING: "The case for balance and fiscal reforms is not just an economic case or a political reality but there is more of a moral question and a pragmatic economic question about how you preserve room to make investments to grow in a long run, in infrastructure, innovation and education, and make sure you are protecting critical aspects of the safety net, not just for low income Americans but for middle class retirees going forward." Friday, he will participate in the Group of 20 Finance ministers meetings, followed by semi-annual sessions of the International Monetary Fund and the World Bank. Bobbi Rebell, Reuters.
KAI
KAI
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum