Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Go Russia
China's Wen Says Bank Monopoly Must Be Broken I_icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2024 11:37 am by kenlej

» Go Russia
China's Wen Says Bank Monopoly Must Be Broken I_icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2024 10:51 am by kenlej

» Textbook Tony
China's Wen Says Bank Monopoly Must Be Broken I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2024 4:13 pm by Mission1st

» The Rockefellers and the controllers are freaking out right about now
China's Wen Says Bank Monopoly Must Be Broken I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2024 11:16 am by kenlej

» Phony Tony sez: Full Steam Ahead!
China's Wen Says Bank Monopoly Must Be Broken I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:51 am by Mission1st

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
China's Wen Says Bank Monopoly Must Be Broken I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am by Mission1st

» Russia aren't taking any prisoners
China's Wen Says Bank Monopoly Must Be Broken I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm by kenlej

» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
China's Wen Says Bank Monopoly Must Be Broken I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» ZIGPLACE
China's Wen Says Bank Monopoly Must Be Broken I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
China's Wen Says Bank Monopoly Must Be Broken I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
China's Wen Says Bank Monopoly Must Be Broken I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
China's Wen Says Bank Monopoly Must Be Broken I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
China's Wen Says Bank Monopoly Must Be Broken I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
China's Wen Says Bank Monopoly Must Be Broken I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
China's Wen Says Bank Monopoly Must Be Broken I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
China's Wen Says Bank Monopoly Must Be Broken I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
China's Wen Says Bank Monopoly Must Be Broken I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
China's Wen Says Bank Monopoly Must Be Broken I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
China's Wen Says Bank Monopoly Must Be Broken I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
China's Wen Says Bank Monopoly Must Be Broken I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

China's Wen Says Bank Monopoly Must Be Broken

Go down

China's Wen Says Bank Monopoly Must Be Broken Empty China's Wen Says Bank Monopoly Must Be Broken

Post by KAI Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:15 pm

China's Wen Says Bank Monopoly Must Be Broken: State Media

By REUTERS

Published: April 3, 2012 at 3:06 PM ET

(Reuters) - China's state banks make money "too easily" and their monopoly on financial services has to be broken if cash-starved private enterprises are to get access to capital when they need it, state media cited Premier Wen Jiabao as saying on Tuesday.

China's Wen Says Bank Monopoly Must Be Broken Reuters_sidebar

Wen's comments, carried on China National Radio, come days after Beijing gave the go-ahead for financial reforms in Wenzhou - known as the country's cradle of private enterprise - that will encourage private investment in local banks.

"Frankly, our banks make profits far too easily. Why? Because a small number of major banks occupy a monopoly position, meaning one can only go to them for loans and capital," China National Radio quoted Wen as telling local businesses at a roundtable discussion.

"That's why right now, as we're dealing with the issue of getting private capital into the finance sector, essentially, that means we have to break up their monopoly," the radio news service reported Wen as saying on its website.

The Big Four banks, including Industrial and Commercial Bank of China, Bank of China, Agricultural Bank of China and China Construction Bank, have long maintained a stranglehold on virtually every aspect of the financial services industry.

But in past years, Beijing has carried out a range of reforms in cities such as coastal Wenzhou. Last month, the Cabinet approved a pilot project it hopes will one day form a cornerstone of nationwide financial sector reforms.

Private investors in Wenzhou will be encouraged to buy into local banks and to set up financial institutions such as loan companies and rural community banks, the State Council said in a statement posted on the government's website last week.

CENTRAL GOVERNMENT UNIFIED

Beijing hopes that cash-starved small businesses - vital to employment in the world's second largest economy - will be able to access financing more easily and cheaply.

"The central government is unified on this, and you've seen the Wenzhou experiment ensue. I think, Wenzhou has had some successes, that should be replicated nationally," Wen was cited as saying. "In fact, some can immediately be kicked off countrywide."

Allowing private investors to lend via legal entities will also help Beijing tame an underground lending market, where annualized interest rates can reach 100 percent. The People's Bank of China estimated that market at 2.4 trillion yuan as of the end of March 2010, or 5.6 percent of total lending.

Many private businesses turn to grey-market lending because they lack the connections to access loans at official rates, which primarily flow from state-owned banks to state-owned enterprise.

The idea of a financial reform zone emerged late last year after media reports surfaced about Wenzhou entrepreneurs who had gone into hiding or committed suicide after they were unable to repay high interest on under-the-counter loans.

The local central bank branch estimates underground lending in Wenzhou at 110 billion yuan. About a third of that is used for real economic activities, with the rest going to speculative investments, according to media reports.

LINK: http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2012/04/03/business/03reuters-china-banks.html?ref=global

(Reporting By Edwin Chan; Editing by Xavier Briand)
KAI
KAI
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum