Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Carnival Rides
Have you ever wonder'ed about things? lol I_icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2024 5:03 pm by kenlej

» Go Russia
Have you ever wonder'ed about things? lol I_icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2024 11:37 am by kenlej

» Go Russia
Have you ever wonder'ed about things? lol I_icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2024 10:51 am by kenlej

» Textbook Tony
Have you ever wonder'ed about things? lol I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2024 4:13 pm by Mission1st

» The Rockefellers and the controllers are freaking out right about now
Have you ever wonder'ed about things? lol I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2024 11:16 am by kenlej

» Phony Tony sez: Full Steam Ahead!
Have you ever wonder'ed about things? lol I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:51 am by Mission1st

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
Have you ever wonder'ed about things? lol I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am by Mission1st

» Russia aren't taking any prisoners
Have you ever wonder'ed about things? lol I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm by kenlej

» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
Have you ever wonder'ed about things? lol I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» ZIGPLACE
Have you ever wonder'ed about things? lol I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
Have you ever wonder'ed about things? lol I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
Have you ever wonder'ed about things? lol I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
Have you ever wonder'ed about things? lol I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
Have you ever wonder'ed about things? lol I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
Have you ever wonder'ed about things? lol I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
Have you ever wonder'ed about things? lol I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
Have you ever wonder'ed about things? lol I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
Have you ever wonder'ed about things? lol I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
Have you ever wonder'ed about things? lol I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
Have you ever wonder'ed about things? lol I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

Have you ever wonder'ed about things? lol

3 posters

Go down

Have you ever wonder'ed about things? lol Empty Have you ever wonder'ed about things? lol

Post by RoyBoy Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:55 pm

[size=32]‘A  SHOT OF WHISKEY’
In the old west a  .45 cartridge for a six-gun cost 12 cents, so did a glass of whiskey. If a  cowhand was low on cash he would often give the bartender a cartridge in  exchange for a drink. This became known as a "shot" of  whiskey.

THE WHOLE NINE  YARDS
American fighter planes in WW2 had machine guns that were  fed by a belt of cartridges. The average plane held belts that were 27 feet (9  yards) long. If the pilot used up all his ammo he was said to have given it  the whole nine yards.

BUYING  THE FARM
This is synonymous with dying. During WW1 soldiers were  given life insurance policies worth $5,000. This was about the price of an  average farm so if you died you "bought the farm" for your  survivors.

IRON CLAD  CONTRACT
This came about from the ironclad ships of the Civil  War. It meant something so strong it could not be  broken.

PASSING THE BUCK/THE  BUCK STOPS HERE
Most men in the early west carried a jack knife  made by the Buck knife company. When playing poker it as common to place one  of these Buck knives in front of the dealer so that everyone knew who he was.  When it was time for a new dealer the deck of cards and the knife were given  to the new dealer. If this person didn't want to deal he would "pass the buck"  to the next player. If that player accepted then “the buck stopped  there".

RIFF  RAFF
The Mississippi River was the main way of traveling from  north to south. Riverboats carried passengers and freight but they  were
expensive so most people used rafts. Everything had the right of way  over rafts which were considered cheap. The steering oar on the rafts was  called a “riff" and this transposed into riff-raff, meaning low  class.

COBWEB
The Old English word for  "spider" was "cob".

SHIP STATE  ROOMS
Traveling by steamboat was considered the height of  comfort. Passenger cabins on the boats were not numbered. Instead they were  named after states. To this day cabins on ships are called  staterooms.

SHOWBOAT
These were floating theaters  built on a barge that was pushed by a steamboat. These played small town along  the Mississippi River . Unlike the boat shown in the movie "Showboat" these  did not have an engine. They were gaudy and attention grabbing which is why we  say someone who is being the life of the party is  "showboating".

OVER A  BARREL
In the days before CPR a drowning victim would be placed  face down over a barrel and the barrel would be rolled back and forth in a  effort to empty the lungs of water. It was rarely effective. If you are over a  barrel you are in deep trouble.

BARGE IN
Heavy freight was moved along  the Mississippi in large barges pushed by steamboats. These were hard to  control and would sometimes swing into piers or other boats. People would say  they "barged in".

HOGWASH
Steamboats carried both people  and animals. Since pigs smelled so bad they would be washed before being put  on board. The mud and other filth that was washed off was considered useless  "hog wash".

CURFEW
The word "curfew" comes from  the French phrase "couvre-feu", which means "cover the fire". It was used to  describe the time of blowing out all lamps and candles. It was later adopted  into Middle English as "curfeu", which later became the modern "curfew". In  the early American colonies homes had no real fireplaces so a fire was built  in the center of the room. In order to make sure a fire did not get out of  control during the night it was required that, by an agreed upon time, all  fires would be covered with a clay pot called-a  "curfew".

HOT OFF THE  PRESS
As the paper goes through the rotary printing press  friction causes it to heat up. Therefore, if you grab the paper right off the  press it is hot. The expression means to get immediate information. 
[/size]
RoyBoy
RoyBoy
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Have you ever wonder'ed about things? lol Empty Re: Have you ever wonder'ed about things? lol

Post by Jayzze Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:30 pm

roy i wondered if i put a grenade in m back pocket how many pieces would be left?
Jayzze
Jayzze
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Have you ever wonder'ed about things? lol Empty Re: Have you ever wonder'ed about things? lol

Post by RoyBoy Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:34 pm

Jayzze; The grenade , a-lot, Maliki??? Just him , he eats one everyday with his fermented camels milk in the morning
RoyBoy
RoyBoy
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Jayzze Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:54 pm

yes roy but he has not been hung  yet t and i are waiting for that
Jayzze
Jayzze
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Terbo56 Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:59 pm

He doesn't have enough 'iron' in his diet- He really needs to 'blow off' some steam-
Terbo56
Terbo56
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Jayzze Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:47 pm

terbo he needscamel gas
Jayzze
Jayzze
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum