Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Go Russia
COMPASSION IS NOT A LUXURY - HUMANITY WOULD NOT SURVIVE WITHOUT IT I_icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2024 11:37 am by kenlej

» Go Russia
COMPASSION IS NOT A LUXURY - HUMANITY WOULD NOT SURVIVE WITHOUT IT I_icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2024 10:51 am by kenlej

» Textbook Tony
COMPASSION IS NOT A LUXURY - HUMANITY WOULD NOT SURVIVE WITHOUT IT I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2024 4:13 pm by Mission1st

» The Rockefellers and the controllers are freaking out right about now
COMPASSION IS NOT A LUXURY - HUMANITY WOULD NOT SURVIVE WITHOUT IT I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2024 11:16 am by kenlej

» Phony Tony sez: Full Steam Ahead!
COMPASSION IS NOT A LUXURY - HUMANITY WOULD NOT SURVIVE WITHOUT IT I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:51 am by Mission1st

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
COMPASSION IS NOT A LUXURY - HUMANITY WOULD NOT SURVIVE WITHOUT IT I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am by Mission1st

» Russia aren't taking any prisoners
COMPASSION IS NOT A LUXURY - HUMANITY WOULD NOT SURVIVE WITHOUT IT I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm by kenlej

» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
COMPASSION IS NOT A LUXURY - HUMANITY WOULD NOT SURVIVE WITHOUT IT I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» ZIGPLACE
COMPASSION IS NOT A LUXURY - HUMANITY WOULD NOT SURVIVE WITHOUT IT I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
COMPASSION IS NOT A LUXURY - HUMANITY WOULD NOT SURVIVE WITHOUT IT I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
COMPASSION IS NOT A LUXURY - HUMANITY WOULD NOT SURVIVE WITHOUT IT I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
COMPASSION IS NOT A LUXURY - HUMANITY WOULD NOT SURVIVE WITHOUT IT I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
COMPASSION IS NOT A LUXURY - HUMANITY WOULD NOT SURVIVE WITHOUT IT I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
COMPASSION IS NOT A LUXURY - HUMANITY WOULD NOT SURVIVE WITHOUT IT I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
COMPASSION IS NOT A LUXURY - HUMANITY WOULD NOT SURVIVE WITHOUT IT I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
COMPASSION IS NOT A LUXURY - HUMANITY WOULD NOT SURVIVE WITHOUT IT I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
COMPASSION IS NOT A LUXURY - HUMANITY WOULD NOT SURVIVE WITHOUT IT I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
COMPASSION IS NOT A LUXURY - HUMANITY WOULD NOT SURVIVE WITHOUT IT I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
COMPASSION IS NOT A LUXURY - HUMANITY WOULD NOT SURVIVE WITHOUT IT I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
COMPASSION IS NOT A LUXURY - HUMANITY WOULD NOT SURVIVE WITHOUT IT I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

COMPASSION IS NOT A LUXURY - HUMANITY WOULD NOT SURVIVE WITHOUT IT

Go down

COMPASSION IS NOT A LUXURY - HUMANITY WOULD NOT SURVIVE WITHOUT IT Empty COMPASSION IS NOT A LUXURY - HUMANITY WOULD NOT SURVIVE WITHOUT IT

Post by UNEEK Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:49 pm

Compassion is not a luxury -- Humanity would not survive without it

10 (Science-Based) Reasons Why Compassion Is Hot
Written By Dr. Emma Seppala

Science suggests that compassion may well be the most important thing in your life.

1. It makes us happy (as happy as getting money)!

A brain-imaging study headed by neuroscientist Jordan Grafman from the National Institute of Health showed that the “pleasures centers” in the brain, i.e. the parts of our brains that are active when we experience pleasure (like dessert, money, sex) are equally active when we observe someone giving money to charity as when we receive money ourselves!

2. In fact, it makes us happier than buying things for ourselves.

Giving to others increases well-being above and beyond spending money on ourselves! In a revealing experiment published in Science by Harvard Business School professor Michael Norton, participants received a sum of money.

Half of the participants were instructed to spend the money on themselves and the other half were told to spend the money on others. At the end of the study, participants that had spent money on others felt significantly happier than those that had spent money on themselves.

This is true even for infants! A recent study by Elizabeth Dunn and colleagues at the University of British Columbia shows that, even in children as young as 2, giving treats to others increases their happiness more than receiving treats themselves.

3. It makes us attractive.

Marketing companies may try to tell us that the secret to finding our soulmate lies in anti-wrinkle chemical peels or muscle-inflating protein powders.

However, both men and women agree that a major secret to attractiveness is a kind heart. In a study on dating preferences, researchers found that one trait both genders agreed was important in potential partners kindness.

4. It uplifts everyone around us.

Why are the lives of people like Mother Teresa, Martin Luther King, and Desmond Tutu so inspiring? Research by Jonathan Haidt at the University of Virginia suggests that seeing someone helping another person creates a state of “elevation.”

Have you ever been moved to tears by seeing someone’s loving and compassionate behavior? Haidt’s data suggests that it may be this elevation that then inspires us to help others — and it may just be the force behind a chain reaction of giving.

5. It spreads like wildfire.

Social scientists James Fowler of UC San Diego and Nicolas Christakis of Harvard demonstrated that helping is contagious — acts of generosity and kindness beget more generosity in a chain reaction of goodness.

You may have seen one of the news reports about chain reactions that occur when someone pays for the coffee of the drivers behind them at a drive-through restaurant or at a highway tollbooth. People keep the generous behavior going for hours. Try this at home.

6. It boosts our health and longevity.

Helping others may lead to health, longevity and happiness. University of Michigan researcher Stephanie Brown, in a study of over 400 elderly people, found that those who helped others more were healthier, happier and lived longer than others.

Of course, one reason for these findings may be that people who are healthier have more opportunity to be of help to others. However, data indicates that positive emotions and social connections (both a consequence of helping others) have a positive and protective effect on health that may explain these findings.

For example, a study by Sheldon Cohen at Carnegie Mellon University showed that people with more social connections have higher immune function and are les likely to get sick. Another large-scale study showed that the opposite of compassion — i.e., not feeling connected to others — is as dangerous for our health as smoking, high blood pressure, obesity, and lack of exercise.

7. It gets us out of a funk.

Think of a time you were feeling blue and suddenly a close friend or relative called you for urgent help with a problem. All of a sudden your attention was on helping them. Rather than feeling blue, you began to feel energized and before you knew it, you felt great!

Research shows that depression and anxiety are linked to a state of self-focus, a preoccupation with “me, myself, and I.” When you do something for someone else, however, that state of self-focus immediately dissolves.

8. It’s the most natural thing.

One reason why compassion might feel so good is that it’s natural to us. Though economists and grumps may ba-humbug, many spiritual traditions teach us that, at our core, we are loving, generous, and kind. Research with infants backs up these claims.

Michael Tomasello and other scientists at the Max Planck Institute have found that infants automatically engage in helpful behavior. Dale Miller at the Stanford Business School shows that adults, too, are also automatically driven to help others. The difference between children and adults is that adults will often stop themselves because they worry that others think they are self-interested.

9. It gives us more time.

With hectic modern-day schedules, we are all running out of one basic commodity: time! A recent study, however, suggests that helping others actually helps us feel like we have more time. A recent study by Cassie Mogilner of the Wharton Business School examined the impact of wasting time, spending time on oneself, gaining “free” time, and spending time on others.

Mogilner and her colleagues found that spending time of others increased participants’ subjective sense of having more time — yet another way in which giving makes use feel better.

10. It’s good for the environment.

No scientific evidence needed here. Being kind, caring and empathetic to your friends, colleagues, neighbors and strangers on the street just makes sense. It’s not only good for you, its good for our society, community, and the world around us. And since it’s contagious, why not spread it far and wide?

Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/project-compassion-stanford/compassion_b_1676485.html#slide=1238025
- See more at: http://ccare.stanford.edu/the-huffington-post/10-science-based-reasons-why-compassion-is-hot/#sthash.UpJAg6Ly.dpuf

Greatness lies, not in being strong, but in the right using of strength; and strength is not used rightly when it serves only to carry a man above his fellows for his own solitary glory. He is the greatest whose strength carries up the most hearts by the attraction of his own -- Bryant

“When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself.” ― Wayne W. Dyer

To be persuasive, one must be believable;
To be believable, one must be credible;
To be credible, one must be truthful.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
UNEEK
UNEEK
VIP FEATURED MEMBER
VIP FEATURED MEMBER

http://souljourney.lefora.com/

Back to top Go down

COMPASSION IS NOT A LUXURY - HUMANITY WOULD NOT SURVIVE WITHOUT IT Empty Re: COMPASSION IS NOT A LUXURY - HUMANITY WOULD NOT SURVIVE WITHOUT IT

Post by UNEEK Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:09 pm

Greatness lies, not in being strong, but in the right using of strength; and strength is not used rightly when it serves only to carry a man above his fellows for his own solitary glory. He is the greatest whose strength carries up the most hearts by the attraction of his own -- Bryant

“When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself.” ― Wayne W. Dyer

To be persuasive, one must be believable;
To be believable, one must be credible;
To be credible, one must be truthful.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
UNEEK
UNEEK
VIP FEATURED MEMBER
VIP FEATURED MEMBER

http://souljourney.lefora.com/

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum