Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Go Russia
IKEA Foundation helps restore sense of home for Syrian refugees in Iraq I_icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2024 11:37 am by kenlej

» Go Russia
IKEA Foundation helps restore sense of home for Syrian refugees in Iraq I_icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2024 10:51 am by kenlej

» Textbook Tony
IKEA Foundation helps restore sense of home for Syrian refugees in Iraq I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2024 4:13 pm by Mission1st

» The Rockefellers and the controllers are freaking out right about now
IKEA Foundation helps restore sense of home for Syrian refugees in Iraq I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2024 11:16 am by kenlej

» Phony Tony sez: Full Steam Ahead!
IKEA Foundation helps restore sense of home for Syrian refugees in Iraq I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:51 am by Mission1st

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
IKEA Foundation helps restore sense of home for Syrian refugees in Iraq I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am by Mission1st

» Russia aren't taking any prisoners
IKEA Foundation helps restore sense of home for Syrian refugees in Iraq I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm by kenlej

» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
IKEA Foundation helps restore sense of home for Syrian refugees in Iraq I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» ZIGPLACE
IKEA Foundation helps restore sense of home for Syrian refugees in Iraq I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
IKEA Foundation helps restore sense of home for Syrian refugees in Iraq I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
IKEA Foundation helps restore sense of home for Syrian refugees in Iraq I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
IKEA Foundation helps restore sense of home for Syrian refugees in Iraq I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
IKEA Foundation helps restore sense of home for Syrian refugees in Iraq I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
IKEA Foundation helps restore sense of home for Syrian refugees in Iraq I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
IKEA Foundation helps restore sense of home for Syrian refugees in Iraq I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
IKEA Foundation helps restore sense of home for Syrian refugees in Iraq I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
IKEA Foundation helps restore sense of home for Syrian refugees in Iraq I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
IKEA Foundation helps restore sense of home for Syrian refugees in Iraq I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
IKEA Foundation helps restore sense of home for Syrian refugees in Iraq I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
IKEA Foundation helps restore sense of home for Syrian refugees in Iraq I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

IKEA Foundation helps restore sense of home for Syrian refugees in Iraq

Go down

IKEA Foundation helps restore sense of home for Syrian refugees in Iraq Empty IKEA Foundation helps restore sense of home for Syrian refugees in Iraq

Post by Ponee Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:48 am

IKEA Foundation helps restore sense of home for Syrian refugees in Iraq

IKEA Foundation helps restore sense of home for Syrian refugees in Iraq 53d8f3bb6

ARBAT REFUGEE CAMP, Iraq, July 30 (UNHCR) – Since arriving from Syria nearly a year ago, 52-year-old Halima Murad and her family have been at the mercy of Iraq's extreme weather in this camp near the northern Iraqi city of Sulaymaniyah.

In their tiny tent in the comparatively safe Iraqi Kurdistan region, the six of them have been exposed to winter temperatures dropping to zero Celsius, blistering summer temperatures of 45 degrees, and dust storms to boot. So she was particularly happy to be given a new mattress and quilt recently. "We don't have blankets for summer, only winter blankets and they are too heavy," said Halima.

Halima's family and 3,000 other Syrian refugees in this camp were some of 35,000 who came from Syria last August. Of the almost 3 million Syrians who have become refugees in the past three years, more than 250,000 have sought safety in the semi-autonomous Kurdish region of Iraq.

Halima's new mattress and quilt were part of a US$2.5 million donation of bedroom products from IKEA Foundation, the philanthropic arm of the global furnishings company. The IKEA Foundation, UNHCR's largest private donor, has previously given products to the refugee agency for Syrians in Jordan and Lebanon. This is its first donation to UNHCR in Iraq.

"When conflicts turn peoples' lives upside down, we believe in supporting children and families who have lost everything by donating IKEA products that will give them a sense of security and home," said Jonathan Spampinato, head of strategic planning and communications for the IKEA Foundation.

Refugees in Arbat Camp will get 150,000 mattresses, quilts and bed linens over the next year. The UN refugee agency will distribute 80,000 mattresses to internally displaced Iraqis who were forced out of their homes by recent fighting between armed groups and government forces. Nearly 2,000 mattresses have been delivered to families in Al Hamdaniya, in Ninewa governorate in northern Iraq.

Back in Arbat Camp, Abdu Rachman Khalil, 36, was one of the first in line to receive two IKEA summer mattresses, quilts and pillow covers.

He, his wife Sita and their six children were looking forward to sleeping more comfortably in the scorching summer heat. "We needed these mattresses and blankets," he said, herding his children away from the distribution with a mattress rolled up under each arm. "The blankets are thin and good for the summer and the mattresses are very good quality."
By Catherine Robinson in Arbat Refugee Camp, Iraq

http://reliefweb.int/report/iraq/ikea-foundation-helps-restore-sense-home-syrian-refugees-iraq?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Ponee
Ponee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum