Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Carnival Rides
Syria opposition: Allies must honour weapons 'promises' I_icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2024 5:03 pm by kenlej

» Go Russia
Syria opposition: Allies must honour weapons 'promises' I_icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2024 11:37 am by kenlej

» Go Russia
Syria opposition: Allies must honour weapons 'promises' I_icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2024 10:51 am by kenlej

» Textbook Tony
Syria opposition: Allies must honour weapons 'promises' I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2024 4:13 pm by Mission1st

» The Rockefellers and the controllers are freaking out right about now
Syria opposition: Allies must honour weapons 'promises' I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2024 11:16 am by kenlej

» Phony Tony sez: Full Steam Ahead!
Syria opposition: Allies must honour weapons 'promises' I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:51 am by Mission1st

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
Syria opposition: Allies must honour weapons 'promises' I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am by Mission1st

» Russia aren't taking any prisoners
Syria opposition: Allies must honour weapons 'promises' I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm by kenlej

» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
Syria opposition: Allies must honour weapons 'promises' I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» ZIGPLACE
Syria opposition: Allies must honour weapons 'promises' I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
Syria opposition: Allies must honour weapons 'promises' I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
Syria opposition: Allies must honour weapons 'promises' I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
Syria opposition: Allies must honour weapons 'promises' I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
Syria opposition: Allies must honour weapons 'promises' I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
Syria opposition: Allies must honour weapons 'promises' I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
Syria opposition: Allies must honour weapons 'promises' I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
Syria opposition: Allies must honour weapons 'promises' I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
Syria opposition: Allies must honour weapons 'promises' I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
Syria opposition: Allies must honour weapons 'promises' I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
Syria opposition: Allies must honour weapons 'promises' I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

Syria opposition: Allies must honour weapons 'promises'

Go down

Syria opposition: Allies must honour weapons 'promises' Empty Syria opposition: Allies must honour weapons 'promises'

Post by Ponee Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:54 am

14 March 2014 Last updated at 04:52 ET

Syria opposition: Allies must honour weapons 'promises'

Syria opposition: Allies must honour weapons 'promises' _73573622_73573590

The head of Syria's main opposition alliance has said its international allies must honour what he said were pledges to supply heavy weapons.

Ahmed Jarba of the National Coalition told the BBC that he was promised them if Syrian government was at fault for the failure of recent peace talks.

The 11 core members of "The Friends of Syria" - including the US and UK - all blamed President Bashar al-Assad.

"Syrians are paying for time with blood," Mr Jarba warned.

In the interview with the BBC's Middle East editor Jeremy Bowen, he also blamed the Syrian government for the presence of Islamist extremists in the conflict, and promised to kick them out of Syria, as he claimed his forces had in several provinces already.

"Our main enemy is the regime that ruled this country for 50 years with fire and iron," he said. "When the revolution kicked off, there were no extremists or terrorists, there were [only] Syrian people looking only for their freedom."

While he admitted that the Assad government was the greater enemy he insisted that "regarding the terrorists, we fought and we will keep fighting against them... because we reject them and the Syrian people reject them as well."

In the interview, conducted at the National Coalition's headquarters in Istanbul, Mr Jarba also admitted he wished the US had gone through with its threat to bomb sites in Syria, saying that, if they had, "the conflict would have been much closer to the end".

"Assad has handed over the chemical weapons to save himself," he explained.
Syria opposition: Allies must honour weapons 'promises' _73574588_f18b0639-5c28-4c97-87b7-832b98778650 Syria's secular opposition has lost some ground to Islamist rebel groups since the beginning of the conflict
Syria opposition: Allies must honour weapons 'promises' _73574585_d06aeb48-91e1-47c6-9d95-6ca552e539b3 Not his first, or last, plea for help: Mr Jarba at a Friends of the Syrian People meeting in September 2013

The time had come, Mr Jarba said, for diplomacy to take second place to changing the balance of power on Syria's battlefields in favour of his army, because only then would Assad feel he had to negotiate. "The Assad regime just knows the language of force," he said.
Mr Jarba's international backers may be less confident that is possible, says Jeremy Bowen, given the support the government in Damascus has from Iran and Russia, and the strength of jihadist insurgents who reject both the government and the secular opposition.

But without heavy, particularly anti-aircraft, weapons, Mr Jarba faces an uphill struggle to defeat President Assad, and that is a goal to which he is implacably committed, our correspondent adds.

"Syrians, after paying this price for freedom, won't allow this stupid man to rule them once again - whatever the price is," Mr Jarba said.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-26573833#
Ponee
Ponee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum