Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Carnival Rides
3 - Iraq’s ability to rebuild is threatened on three fronts I_icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2024 5:03 pm by kenlej

» Go Russia
3 - Iraq’s ability to rebuild is threatened on three fronts I_icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2024 11:37 am by kenlej

» Go Russia
3 - Iraq’s ability to rebuild is threatened on three fronts I_icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2024 10:51 am by kenlej

» Textbook Tony
3 - Iraq’s ability to rebuild is threatened on three fronts I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2024 4:13 pm by Mission1st

» The Rockefellers and the controllers are freaking out right about now
3 - Iraq’s ability to rebuild is threatened on three fronts I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2024 11:16 am by kenlej

» Phony Tony sez: Full Steam Ahead!
3 - Iraq’s ability to rebuild is threatened on three fronts I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:51 am by Mission1st

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
3 - Iraq’s ability to rebuild is threatened on three fronts I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am by Mission1st

» Russia aren't taking any prisoners
3 - Iraq’s ability to rebuild is threatened on three fronts I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm by kenlej

» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
3 - Iraq’s ability to rebuild is threatened on three fronts I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» ZIGPLACE
3 - Iraq’s ability to rebuild is threatened on three fronts I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
3 - Iraq’s ability to rebuild is threatened on three fronts I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
3 - Iraq’s ability to rebuild is threatened on three fronts I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
3 - Iraq’s ability to rebuild is threatened on three fronts I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
3 - Iraq’s ability to rebuild is threatened on three fronts I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
3 - Iraq’s ability to rebuild is threatened on three fronts I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
3 - Iraq’s ability to rebuild is threatened on three fronts I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
3 - Iraq’s ability to rebuild is threatened on three fronts I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
3 - Iraq’s ability to rebuild is threatened on three fronts I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
3 - Iraq’s ability to rebuild is threatened on three fronts I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
3 - Iraq’s ability to rebuild is threatened on three fronts I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

Iraq’s ability to rebuild is threatened on three fronts

3 posters

Go down

3 - Iraq’s ability to rebuild is threatened on three fronts Empty Iraq’s ability to rebuild is threatened on three fronts

Post by RamblerNash Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:01 pm

Iraq’s ability to rebuild is threatened on three fronts
Erika Solomon in Baghdad

Reconstruction efforts hit by military, economic and humanitarian crises
3 - Iraq’s ability to rebuild is threatened on three fronts Ac3c27d1-ac75-458d-a1bc-7a8510dc4eb5©AFP
Members of Iraq's counter-terrorism unit help secure part of central Ramadi

On a sandy bank where the Euphrates river marks the outskirts of Baghdad, a chunk of metal bridge sits tantalisingly close to hundreds of displaced families camped in tents on the opposite bank, where war-torn Anbar province begins.

Local officials say they ran out of money before they could reach the other side. 

The bridge to nowhere at Bzeibiz is an apt symbol of the times: Iraq’s economy is failing and political squabbling has stalled efforts to fix it. Foreign governments, sceptical at Baghdad’s efforts to curb corruption, are only slowly forking out cash. 

“What future can I see? All I see is catastrophe,” says 29-year-old Adel Ashour, who fled the Isis-controlled town of Hit, and lives with his relatives inside two dusty plastic tents. “I know people in my condition who go to Isis. A man would destroy his country and kill to feed his family.” 

As the battle to force out Isis rages on, 3.3m displaced people like Mr Ashour are at the intersection of the multiple threats Iraq faces. Humanitarian and security crises will become even harder to manage as Baghdad runs out of cash. 

It is not just a problem for Iraq. Western governments are also struggling to weaken a jihadist force now targeting Europe and to stem the flow of refugees crossing the Mediterranean. 

“Addressing this is now recognised as part of what needs to be done to protect the gains made militarily. It’s that bad,” says Lise Grande, the UN’s humanitarian co-ordinator for Iraq. 

Iraq’s economic woes have been exacerbated by plummeting oil prices. Oil makes up 90 per cent of the country’s revenues and falling prices have slashed its monthly cash flows to around $2.5bn — not even enough to fund $4bn in government salaries and pensions.

Fearing the collapse of one of the Middle East’s largest economies, the World Bank last year pledged $1.2bn to Iraq, well short of the $9bn-$10bn the country is seeking from foreign governments. But even that figure does not take account of the vast cost of Iraq’s reconstruction. Many government officials refuse to calculate reconstruction as part of the economic crisis, counting on foreign governments to help out. 

But it is unclear how much help will come. Germany, which pledged €500m ($550m) is still haggling with officials over how to disburse the money, a process that will take months.

A European diplomat said Washington was leaning on other European states to offer more. “But we aren’t the ones who messed this place up,” he says, referring to the US occupation of Iraq in 2003, which many see as the cause of its current instability. 

Ms Grande says reconstruction costs are “incalculable” until a formal assessment is done. Iraqi officials say it will be tens of billions. 

Dhiaa al-Douri, an MP from Salahuddin province, estimates at least four districts in his governorate need around $10bn each to be rebuilt. Swathes of territory have been almost razed in the fight to dislodge Isis, which at its peak held a third of the country. “Under Isis, Iraq went back hundreds of years, and the economy has become dysfunctional in every aspect,” he says.

3 - Iraq’s ability to rebuild is threatened on three fronts Ccf5922e-f810-11e5-96db-fc683b5e52db

The World Bank gave $350m for authorities to use on local reconstruction projects, mostly for basics like water, electricity and roads. The money distributed is still sitting in government ministries.

Anbar officials say lack of funds has stopped them finishing the bridge, preventing humanitarian aid reaching those in need. Instead, small cars packed with bags of rice shudder their way across the old Bzeibiz pontoon bridge. 

Corruption is always a worry in Iraq, a country ranked 161/168 in Transparency International’s global index. According to Adnan al-Janabi, who recently sat on parliament’s finance committee, around $113bn went missing between 2006-14. “Really this is the disease — not lack of revenues,” he said. “Poverty is increasing despite the fact we have had almost $1tn in income since 2003.” 

Since Isis blitzed across Iraq in 2014, Mr Janabi estimates unemployment has risen to 50 per cent, and perhaps 80 per cent in areas occupied by the militants. 

Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi is aiming to make headway on the financial reforms demanded by the IMF in return for a Stand-By Agreement of $15bn over three years. 

An investigation into how a sprawling oil operation has become fundamental to the jihadis’ survival and why the group has struck a Faustian bargain with the Assad regime over gas and electricity

Last week, Mr Abadi proposed a new technocrat cabinet as the first step towards curbing the patronage system that parcels out posts based on sect and party. But it is unclear whether the plan will be backed by parliament.

So far, the premier has only managed to cut public salaries by 3 per cent, and to raise fees on the health service and education — a move that will disproportionately hit the poor.

The prime minister’s economic adviser, Saleh Mudher, says the solution is to stop the government being Iraq’s “major employer”, providing jobs for 8m people. “It has become like people’s life insurance,” he says.

The government recently provided $6bn in soft loans to try to stimulate local businesses.

But critics like Mr Janabi say the effort is pointless if corruption is ignored. “Politicians don’t like it, but it’s time,” he says. “Nobody can tell me we don’t have the money when we are wasting it elsewhere.”

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/590ca818-f7f5-11e5-9afe-dd2472ea263d.html#axzz44mdNxvI3

3 - Iraq’s ability to rebuild is threatened on three fronts 258310255 
>>>TNTBS's YouTube Channel<<<
RamblerNash
RamblerNash
GURU HUNTER
GURU HUNTER

Back to top Go down

3 - Iraq’s ability to rebuild is threatened on three fronts Empty Re: Iraq’s ability to rebuild is threatened on three fronts

Post by Terbo56 Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:12 pm

It is called #1,Maliki, #2,the money theft, and #3,ISIS, plain and simple-Iraq's days ahead are dark by comparison to other middle east countries-
Terbo56
Terbo56
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

3 - Iraq’s ability to rebuild is threatened on three fronts Empty Re: Iraq’s ability to rebuild is threatened on three fronts

Post by Ponee Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:41 am

bump

Ponee
Ponee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum