Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
Iraq Parliament breaks electoral law stalemate in win for protesters I_icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
Iraq Parliament breaks electoral law stalemate in win for protesters I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2024 9:25 am by swizzlestick

» ZIGPLACE
Iraq Parliament breaks electoral law stalemate in win for protesters I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
Iraq Parliament breaks electoral law stalemate in win for protesters I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
Iraq Parliament breaks electoral law stalemate in win for protesters I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
Iraq Parliament breaks electoral law stalemate in win for protesters I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
Iraq Parliament breaks electoral law stalemate in win for protesters I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
Iraq Parliament breaks electoral law stalemate in win for protesters I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
Iraq Parliament breaks electoral law stalemate in win for protesters I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
Iraq Parliament breaks electoral law stalemate in win for protesters I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
Iraq Parliament breaks electoral law stalemate in win for protesters I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
Iraq Parliament breaks electoral law stalemate in win for protesters I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
Iraq Parliament breaks electoral law stalemate in win for protesters I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
Iraq Parliament breaks electoral law stalemate in win for protesters I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
Iraq Parliament breaks electoral law stalemate in win for protesters I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
Iraq Parliament breaks electoral law stalemate in win for protesters I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
Iraq Parliament breaks electoral law stalemate in win for protesters I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm by kenlej

» Dinar Daily Facebook Page
Iraq Parliament breaks electoral law stalemate in win for protesters I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 3:34 pm by Ponee

» The Fundamentals of Finance and Pimpy Live
Iraq Parliament breaks electoral law stalemate in win for protesters I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 18, 2024 7:17 am by Dinarhater

» Why Won't the Iraqi Dinar Scam Die?
Iraq Parliament breaks electoral law stalemate in win for protesters I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 17, 2024 5:19 pm by RamblerNash

Iraq Parliament breaks electoral law stalemate in win for protesters

Go down

Iraq Parliament breaks electoral law stalemate in win for protesters Empty Iraq Parliament breaks electoral law stalemate in win for protesters

Post by GirlBye Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:36 pm

Pro-reform protesters welcome the move but say more must be done to achieve fair elections
Iraq Parliament breaks electoral law stalemate in win for protesters IRAQ-POLITICS-PROTESTS
Iraqi demonstrators chant slogans during a gathering in Haboubi Square in the southern city of Nasiriyah. AFP

The Iraqi Parliament has met one of the key demands of pro-reform protesters and laid the foundations for a new electoral process that divides the country into constituencies, potentially giving independent candidates a boost if they compete for seats inside the legislative body.

Previously, the country was treated as a single constituency and so favoured national parties with large funds and electoral machines. But after months of political wrangling amid mass demonstrations, lawmakers agreed on Saturday to divide the country into 83 constituencies, meaning candidates may only run in their local area.

The ruling, which is part of a new electoral law endorsed by Parliament last year, was among the demands voiced by protesters participating in widespread demonstrations that began in October 2019.

It addresses a number of the key concerns highlighted by protesters, who called for a law that allows more access for independent candidates and the division of the country into multiple constituencies.

Iraq Parliament breaks electoral law stalemate in win for protesters 833127-01-04
An Iraqi protester carries a placard reading in Arabic "Revolt" during a demonstration on the Sinak bridge in the capital Baghdad marking the first anniversary of a mass anti-government movement. AFP

The law introduces a new regulation that prevents political parties from running on unified lists, a practice that allowed them to sweep up parliamentary seats en masse.

Instead, Iraq’s 18 provinces will now be divided into multiple electoral jurisdictions with one parliamentary seat per 100,000 people.

The law also maintains the female quota, amounting to at least one-quarter of parliament's seats as well as the quota to ensure representation for religious minorities, including Christians and Yazidis.

Disagreement over the division of the electoral constituencies inside each province had delayed sending the law to President Barham Salih for final approval.

On Sunday, politicians voted on constituencies in 16 provinces, delaying the vote on the ethnically mixed, disputed provinces of Kirkuk and Nineveh due to differences among their ethnic and religious groups. They continued the vote on Monday and Wednesday, according to parliamentary statements. For the protesters, the move is welcomed but many say more is required to ensure a fair electoral system.

Yes, that’s a victory but a minor one, Younsi Kahlifa, 23, told The National. We still have more demands for fair elections that include a real independent electoral commission and a law that governs political parties and their finances, he said.

Protesters and activists are planning to run in the coming election but no progress has yet been made on registering their political entities, he said. The current interim Prime Minister, Mustafa Al Kadhimi, has presented himself as a champion of the protesters’ demands, suggesting early elections to be held in June next year.

That date is still under discussion between political parties.

https://www.thenationalnews.com/world/mena/iraq-parliament-breaks-electoral-law-stalemate-in-win-for-protesters-1.1101882
GirlBye
GirlBye
VIP NewsHound
VIP NewsHound

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum