Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
With UAE deal, Israel opens tentative new chapter with Gulf Arabs I_icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
With UAE deal, Israel opens tentative new chapter with Gulf Arabs I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2024 9:25 am by swizzlestick

» ZIGPLACE
With UAE deal, Israel opens tentative new chapter with Gulf Arabs I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
With UAE deal, Israel opens tentative new chapter with Gulf Arabs I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
With UAE deal, Israel opens tentative new chapter with Gulf Arabs I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
With UAE deal, Israel opens tentative new chapter with Gulf Arabs I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
With UAE deal, Israel opens tentative new chapter with Gulf Arabs I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
With UAE deal, Israel opens tentative new chapter with Gulf Arabs I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
With UAE deal, Israel opens tentative new chapter with Gulf Arabs I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
With UAE deal, Israel opens tentative new chapter with Gulf Arabs I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
With UAE deal, Israel opens tentative new chapter with Gulf Arabs I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
With UAE deal, Israel opens tentative new chapter with Gulf Arabs I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
With UAE deal, Israel opens tentative new chapter with Gulf Arabs I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
With UAE deal, Israel opens tentative new chapter with Gulf Arabs I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
With UAE deal, Israel opens tentative new chapter with Gulf Arabs I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
With UAE deal, Israel opens tentative new chapter with Gulf Arabs I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
With UAE deal, Israel opens tentative new chapter with Gulf Arabs I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm by kenlej

» Dinar Daily Facebook Page
With UAE deal, Israel opens tentative new chapter with Gulf Arabs I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 3:34 pm by Ponee

» The Fundamentals of Finance and Pimpy Live
With UAE deal, Israel opens tentative new chapter with Gulf Arabs I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 18, 2024 7:17 am by Dinarhater

» Why Won't the Iraqi Dinar Scam Die?
With UAE deal, Israel opens tentative new chapter with Gulf Arabs I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 17, 2024 5:19 pm by RamblerNash

With UAE deal, Israel opens tentative new chapter with Gulf Arabs

Go down

With UAE deal, Israel opens tentative new chapter with Gulf Arabs Empty With UAE deal, Israel opens tentative new chapter with Gulf Arabs

Post by GirlBye Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:58 pm

"Historic"; "A breakthrough"; "A game-changer"; "A betrayal": there is no shortage of epithets for this month's sudden announcement - by President Trump - that the United Arab Emirates (UAE) is to fully normalise its relations with Israel. After Egypt's peace treaty with Israel in 1979, followed by Jordan's in 1994, this makes the UAE only the third Arab country to normalise relations. It is the first of the six Arab Gulf states to do so. Oman. Bahrain and possibly Morocco are widely expected to follow. Discreet contacts between the UAE and Israel had been under way for years but still, the details and timing of this normalisation deal were kept secret right up to the last minute.

There were no consultations between the UAE foreign ministry in Abu Dhabi and its Arab neighbours. Almost everyone was taken by surprise, most of all the Palestinians, who called it "a stab in the back" since they have yet to come close to getting a state of their own or ending Israeli occupation. "For the Palestinians, there is zero upside here," comments Emile Hokayem from the London-based International Institute for Strategic Studies. For the UAE's de facto ruler Crown Prince Sheikh Mohammed Bin Zayed (known as MBZ), this deal is something of a gamble but one with the odds heavily in his favour. The risk is it could make the UAE leadership highly unpopular in the wider Arab world where some social media postings have been calling it "a sell-out".

Were the Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to renege on his promise to temporarily shelve annexation of parts of the West Bank then that would be extremely embarrassing for the Emiratis and possibly see the whole deal unravel. But such a move would also draw disapproval from the White House and besides, popular street protests are not usually tolerated in the Gulf. "In the short term, the pitfalls for the UAE are very limited," says Mr Hokayem. "This deal is not going to affect the UAE regime's stability. It reflects the changing geopolitics of the region and it buys the UAE a lot of goodwill in the US, where its image has been tarnished by its involvement in the Yemen war." So what is behind this deal and what's in it for this relatively young Gulf nation and former British protectorate that only became a sovereign nation in 1971? In short, it is two things - strategic advantage and technology.

The UAE, along with Bahrain and Saudi Arabia, has a deep mistrust, even a fear, of its giant, heavily-armed neighbour across the water: Iran. Gulf Arab leaders look at the map of the region and they note how, despite crippling sanctions, Iran's strategic presence has advanced rapidly across the Middle East ever since the bulwark of Saddam Hussein's regime was removed in Iraq. Where once Iran was largely confined to its national borders, today it has proxy militias in Iraq, Syria, Lebanon and Yemen. Israel shares this concern, especially when it comes to Iran's secretive nuclear programme. Then there is what is known as "Islamism" or "political Islam", a transnational concept often embodied by the Muslim Brotherhood and one which certain Gulf Arab rulers view as an existential threat to their dynastic monarchies. No-one dislikes the Muslim Brotherhood more fervently than the UAE crown prince and this has led to the UAE backing anti-Muslim Brotherhood factions as far away as Libya while seeing its interests clash increasingly with those of Turkey's Islamist government.

In practice, this has led to the formation of an unofficial partnership of conservative Middle Eastern governments, a de facto club to which Israel, with its formidable intelligence capabilities, is now being admitted as an associate member. And there is technology, including biotech, healthcare, defence and cyber surveillance. Here, the UAE already has form, having purchased Israeli-manufactured spyware some years ago to keep an eye on its own citizens. The UAE has deep pockets - it has vast oil reserves and a per capita GDP of nearly $40,000 (£30,000). It also has ambitions globally, and beyond, having just become the first Arab country to send a mission to Mars. Israel is by far the most technologically advanced country in the Middle East, with cutting-edge inventions. If this alliance works out it could propel the UAE to a new level of prosperity and international prestige, while safeguarding future jobs for its citizens. Israel's overtures to the G...
GirlBye
GirlBye
VIP NewsHound
VIP NewsHound

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum