Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
Lebanon ready to float currency once aid is secured I_icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
Lebanon ready to float currency once aid is secured I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2024 9:25 am by swizzlestick

» ZIGPLACE
Lebanon ready to float currency once aid is secured I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
Lebanon ready to float currency once aid is secured I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
Lebanon ready to float currency once aid is secured I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
Lebanon ready to float currency once aid is secured I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
Lebanon ready to float currency once aid is secured I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
Lebanon ready to float currency once aid is secured I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
Lebanon ready to float currency once aid is secured I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
Lebanon ready to float currency once aid is secured I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
Lebanon ready to float currency once aid is secured I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
Lebanon ready to float currency once aid is secured I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
Lebanon ready to float currency once aid is secured I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
Lebanon ready to float currency once aid is secured I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
Lebanon ready to float currency once aid is secured I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
Lebanon ready to float currency once aid is secured I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
Lebanon ready to float currency once aid is secured I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm by kenlej

» Dinar Daily Facebook Page
Lebanon ready to float currency once aid is secured I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 3:34 pm by Ponee

» The Fundamentals of Finance and Pimpy Live
Lebanon ready to float currency once aid is secured I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 18, 2024 7:17 am by Dinarhater

» Why Won't the Iraqi Dinar Scam Die?
Lebanon ready to float currency once aid is secured I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 17, 2024 5:19 pm by RamblerNash

Lebanon ready to float currency once aid is secured

Go down

Lebanon ready to float currency once aid is secured Empty Lebanon ready to float currency once aid is secured

Post by Ponee Fri May 15, 2020 1:03 pm

Lebanon ready to float currency once aid is secured 095246a0-eca9-43dc-ac3b-454be740a3c1_16x9_600x338

A customer wearing gloves holds Lebanese pounds at a currency exchange store, during a countrywide lockdown to combat the spread of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in Beirut, Lebanon April 3, 2020. (Reuters)

Lebanon, whose currency has been pegged to the dollar for 23 years, is ready to float the pound only after it secures billions in aid, Finance Minister Ghazi Wazni said Friday.
Speaking to AFP after talks started Wednesday with the International Monetary Fund on a plan to rescue Lebanon’s free falling economy, he also said a restructuring of the banking sector would entail halving the number of banks in the country.

A hard currency crunch in recent months has strained the official fixed rate of 1,507 to the dollar, with the pound losing more than half of its value to fetch well over 4,000 on the black market.

“The IMF always asks for the freeing of the pound’s exchange rate,” Wazni said.

But “we need to change the stabilization policy to one of a flexible exchange rate in a first stage and for the forseeable future,” he said, referring to an initial managed flotation.

“When we receive financial support from abroad, we will transition to floatation” according to the market, he said.

“The Lebanese government has asked for a transitional period to pass through a flexible exchange rate before we reach floatation,” he added.

Wazni said the first phase would involve “a gradual increase of the exchange rate to the dollar,” in coordination with the central bank.

He said this was necessary because the government feared “huge deterioration of the pound exchange rate” otherwise.

Lebanon, which was hit last autumn by unprecedented protests, asked the IMF for financial assistance on May 1 after laying out a much-awaited financial rescue plan.

That plan aims to drum up billions of dollars in aid, reduce the deficit, restructure a colossal debt, and reorganise an oversized banking sector.

Wazni said the restructuring would be done “step by step.”

“Lebanon counts 49 commercial banks and it is normal for that number to decrease to around half of that in the next stage,” he said.

Lebanon is in the grips of a severe liquidity crunch, with depositors unable to make transfers abroad or withdraw dollars.

The Mediterranean nation is one of the most indebted countries worldwide with a debt equivalent to 170 percent of its gross domestic product.

It defaulted on a repayment for the first time ever in March.

https://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/middle-east/2020/05/15/Lebanon-ready-to-float-currency-once-aid-is-secured-Minister.html

Ponee
Ponee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum