Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Phony Tony sez: Full Steam Ahead!
Vietnam banks' bad debt ratio rises to 3.21 pct in August I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:51 am by Mission1st

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
Vietnam banks' bad debt ratio rises to 3.21 pct in August I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am by Mission1st

» Russia aren't taking any prisoners
Vietnam banks' bad debt ratio rises to 3.21 pct in August I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm by kenlej

» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
Vietnam banks' bad debt ratio rises to 3.21 pct in August I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» ZIGPLACE
Vietnam banks' bad debt ratio rises to 3.21 pct in August I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
Vietnam banks' bad debt ratio rises to 3.21 pct in August I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
Vietnam banks' bad debt ratio rises to 3.21 pct in August I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
Vietnam banks' bad debt ratio rises to 3.21 pct in August I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
Vietnam banks' bad debt ratio rises to 3.21 pct in August I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
Vietnam banks' bad debt ratio rises to 3.21 pct in August I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
Vietnam banks' bad debt ratio rises to 3.21 pct in August I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
Vietnam banks' bad debt ratio rises to 3.21 pct in August I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
Vietnam banks' bad debt ratio rises to 3.21 pct in August I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
Vietnam banks' bad debt ratio rises to 3.21 pct in August I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
Vietnam banks' bad debt ratio rises to 3.21 pct in August I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
Vietnam banks' bad debt ratio rises to 3.21 pct in August I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
Vietnam banks' bad debt ratio rises to 3.21 pct in August I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
Vietnam banks' bad debt ratio rises to 3.21 pct in August I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
Vietnam banks' bad debt ratio rises to 3.21 pct in August I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm by kenlej

» Dinar Daily Facebook Page
Vietnam banks' bad debt ratio rises to 3.21 pct in August I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 3:34 pm by Ponee

Vietnam banks' bad debt ratio rises to 3.21 pct in August

Go down

Vietnam banks' bad debt ratio rises to 3.21 pct in August Empty Vietnam banks' bad debt ratio rises to 3.21 pct in August

Post by lexie Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:15 am

October 19, 2011

Vietnam banks' bad debt ratio rises to 3.21 pct in August

Bad debts at Vietnam's banks rose to 3.21 percent of outstanding loans at the end of August, and private observers say it could be much higher, adding urgency to the central bank's plans to restructure the country's banking system in coming years.

The bad debt ratio rose from 3.04 percent a month earlier, a state-run newspaper said on Wednesday.

"Bad debt has been rising gradually every month so far this year," the official Thanh Nien daily quoted a central bank report as saying.

Loans at the banks totalled 2,389 trillion dong ($114.1 billion) at end-August, the report said.

Non-performing loans in the banking sector increased by 0.68 percentage point from 2.53 percent at the end of August 2010, it added.

"The bad debt ratio of over 3 percent is worrisome for the Vietnam banking system", said Alan Pham, an economist at VinaCapital Investment Management Ltd.

Non-performing loans in Vietnam's banking system could rise to 5 percent of total loans by the end of this year under a worst-case scenario, the central bank has said.

Economists and observers, however, widely suspect the true level of bad debt in the banking system to be significantly higher than official numbers, with banks said to commonly roll over, recategorise or otherwise cover up non-performing loans.

Pham said the actual rate of non-performing loans in Vietnam's banking system could be three times the official figure because Vietnam uses its own standards for classifying bad debts, leading to a lower ratio than international standards would produce.

Vietnam's rapid economic growth in the past few years has been largely fueled by credit expansion, with loans rising 27.65 percent last year, 37.7 percent in 2009 and 53.8 percent in 2007, central bank data showed.

Banks' focus on rapid loan growth "exposes them to a sharp deterioration in asset quality should the already difficult operating environment take a turn for the worse," credit rating agency Fitch said in a report last week.

Fitch noted Vietnamese banks were thinly capitalised compared to those elsewhere in the region, and urged further efforts to beef up their reserves.

Several banks, including major listed banks, were among those with increasing non-performing loans, Thanh Nien newspaper said.

Bad debts accounted for 3.47 percent of Vietcombank's loans, while Agribank, Vietnam's largest lender, had 6.67 percent of loans classified as bad debt at end-August, the ruling Communist Party's bureau overseeing state-run businesses has said.

Major banks have been cutting loans in the interbank market in a defensive move on news about bad debts and expectations of funding strains later in the year, Thanh Nien newspaper said.

Overnight lending rates have soared to between 17 and 19 percent in the past few days and the one-month rate jumped to 30 percent on Monday, the state-run news website VnExpress (vnexpress.net) said.

The State Bank of Vietnam said on Tuesday it plans to restructure the banking system in the next five years and consider merger and acquisition activities the "indispensable trend" for the lenders.

Vietnam has more than 40 partly private banks, led by VietinBank and Vietcombank, as well as four fully state-owned banks.

Last month, Vietcombank said a unit of Mizuho Financial Group agreed to buy a 15 percent stake in it for 11.8 trillion dong ($567.3 million), in what could be the largest acquisition in the country's banking sector to date. (Reuters)

http://www.vietfinancenews.com/2011/10/vietnam-banks-bad-debt-ratio-rises-to.html#more

"WHEN THE POWER OF LOVE OVERCOMES THE LOVE OF POWER, THE WORLD WILL KNOW PEACE"
lexie
lexie
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum