Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
Briefing to the Security Council by Jeanine Hennis-Plasschaert 3 December 2019 I_icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
Briefing to the Security Council by Jeanine Hennis-Plasschaert 3 December 2019 I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2024 9:25 am by swizzlestick

» ZIGPLACE
Briefing to the Security Council by Jeanine Hennis-Plasschaert 3 December 2019 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
Briefing to the Security Council by Jeanine Hennis-Plasschaert 3 December 2019 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
Briefing to the Security Council by Jeanine Hennis-Plasschaert 3 December 2019 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
Briefing to the Security Council by Jeanine Hennis-Plasschaert 3 December 2019 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
Briefing to the Security Council by Jeanine Hennis-Plasschaert 3 December 2019 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
Briefing to the Security Council by Jeanine Hennis-Plasschaert 3 December 2019 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
Briefing to the Security Council by Jeanine Hennis-Plasschaert 3 December 2019 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
Briefing to the Security Council by Jeanine Hennis-Plasschaert 3 December 2019 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
Briefing to the Security Council by Jeanine Hennis-Plasschaert 3 December 2019 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
Briefing to the Security Council by Jeanine Hennis-Plasschaert 3 December 2019 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
Briefing to the Security Council by Jeanine Hennis-Plasschaert 3 December 2019 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
Briefing to the Security Council by Jeanine Hennis-Plasschaert 3 December 2019 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
Briefing to the Security Council by Jeanine Hennis-Plasschaert 3 December 2019 I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
Briefing to the Security Council by Jeanine Hennis-Plasschaert 3 December 2019 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
Briefing to the Security Council by Jeanine Hennis-Plasschaert 3 December 2019 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm by kenlej

» Dinar Daily Facebook Page
Briefing to the Security Council by Jeanine Hennis-Plasschaert 3 December 2019 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 3:34 pm by Ponee

» The Fundamentals of Finance and Pimpy Live
Briefing to the Security Council by Jeanine Hennis-Plasschaert 3 December 2019 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 18, 2024 7:17 am by Dinarhater

» Why Won't the Iraqi Dinar Scam Die?
Briefing to the Security Council by Jeanine Hennis-Plasschaert 3 December 2019 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 17, 2024 5:19 pm by RamblerNash

Briefing to the Security Council by Jeanine Hennis-Plasschaert 3 December 2019

Go down

Briefing to the Security Council by Jeanine Hennis-Plasschaert 3 December 2019 Empty Briefing to the Security Council by Jeanine Hennis-Plasschaert 3 December 2019

Post by claud39 Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:12 pm

[size=36]Briefing to the Security Council by Jeanine Hennis-Plasschaert 3 December 2019[/size]

Tuesday, 03 December 2019

Briefing to the Security Council by Jeanine Hennis-Plasschaert 3 December 2019 B1ee6154fc0e9dbc5bb47ca7c492d462_L

Madam President,
Distinguished members of the Security Council,
In recent months, I have consistently referred to urgent unfinished domestic business in Iraq. Perhaps inevitably, today I will brief on protests and civil unrest.

Protests, initially driven by young people in particular. Giving voice to their frustration with poor economic, social and political prospects. Giving voice to their great hopes for better times. Away from corruption and partisan interests. Away from foreign interference.

Hundreds of thousands of Iraqis - from all walks of life - took to the streets, out of love for their homeland, emphasizing their Iraqi identity. All they are asking for is a country reaching its full potential for the benefit of all Iraqis.

However, they are paying an unimaginable price for their voices to be heard. Since early October, over 400 people have been killed and over 19,000 have been injured.

As we commemorate the fallen and pay our respects, their ideals and demands remain more alive than ever.
One of the protesters told me in the clearest of terms:

“A life in dignity and freedom. Or no life. This is what the protests are all about”.

Last week I visited a hospital in Baghdad and met with a 16-year-old boy, heavily injured by shrapnel. His mother said: “The lack of any prospect makes our teenagers desperate. It makes them think and act at least twice their age”.

Her son is only 16 years old. But 16 years is a very long time if one is waiting for political leaders to live up to their promises.

Now, these young people have no recollection of how horrific life was for many Iraqis in the time of Saddam Hussein. However, they are very much aware of the life that was promised after Saddam Hussein. And through the power of connectivity, they know perfectly well that a better future is possible.

I often said: the current situation can hardly be judged without putting it in the context of Iraq’s past. But what we are witnessing is an accumulation of frustration over the lack of progress for so many years.

After years - even decades - of sectarian strife and conflict, a renewed sense of patriotism has taken hold.
 Symbolized by the 16-year-old boy I met in hospital, as well as his countless brothers and sisters demonstrating in Iraq. Some well-known Iraqis refer to it as the ‘battle of a nation’.

And let me underline: any successful nation needs to warmly embrace the potential of its young people. This is all the more important in Iraq, with its remarkably young population.

Madam President, events spun out of control on the very first night of the demonstrations - with authorities immediately resorting to excessive force.

The high loss of life, the many injuries, the violence - combined with this long period of undelivered promises - all resulted in a crisis of confidence.

Although the Government announced various reform packages addressing issues such as housing, unemployment, financial support and education – these are often perceived as unrealistic or ‘too little, too late’.

Additionally, the Government’s investigation into the violence of early October is seen as incomplete. Who is smashing media outlets? Gunning down peaceful protesters? Abducting civil activists? Who are these masked men, unidentified snipers, unknown armed actors?

I do note that a number of arrest warrants have been issued, but I would like to emphasize that perpetrators must be brought to full account.

Now, Madam President, there can be no justification for the many killings and heavy injuries of peaceful protesters. Yet this is precisely what we have been documenting since the first of October.

The rules of engagement were reviewed to minimize the use of lethal force - and indeed, more restraint was observed at the start of the second wave of demonstrations, in Baghdad in particular.

Yet the harsh reality is that the use of live fire has not been abandoned, that non-lethal devices - such as tear gas canisters - continue to be used improperly causing horrific injuries or death, that unlawful arrests and detentions continue to take place - as do abductions, threats and intimidation. The recent events in Nasiriyah and Najaf are a case in point.

Therefore, I wish to reiterate the importance of guaranteeing fundamental rights. Above all the right to life, but also the right to peaceful assembly and freedom of expression. Additionally, I wish to (again) stress the critical importance of full accountability and justice – at all levels.

Also important to note: the shutdown of media outlets, internet and social media adds to the public perception that the authorities have something to hide. Addressing hate speech does not mean limiting or prohibiting freedom of speech.

Another grave concern, Madam President, is the encroachment of power dynamics - trying to hijack the peaceful protests.

Acts of violence that are politically motivated, gang-driven or arising from external loyalties, risk placing Iraq on a dangerous trajectory, sowing chaos and confusion - including the further loss of life and the destruction of public and private property.

This gravely undermines the rightful demands of the Iraqi people. It complicates the work of the security forces. And it provides a cynical excuse for political inaction or worse: an excuse for all kinds of conspiracies to justify violent crackdowns on peaceful demonstrations.

To be perfectly clear: the vast majority of protesters are evidently peaceful. Everyday men and women seeking a better life. And let me emphasize: it is the primary responsibility of the State to protect its people.

In other words: Any and all forms of violence are intolerable, and must not distract from the rightful demands for reform. This would compromise the State even further.

It would only harm an already gravely eroded public trust - further narrowing the Government’s ability to reform. And this ability grows weaker every time a peaceful protester is killed or injured.

Madam President, the weight of Iraq’s past and the immensity of current issues would surely be challenging to any Government’s ability to act, and to act fast.

However, the shortcomings are long-standing and painfully real. To give you a few examples:

Free, fair and credible elections: the call for electoral reform reverberates all over Iraq. Iraqis call for independent and impartial electoral management, for changes in the electoral system to bring voters closer to their candidates and to make their elected representatives duly accountable.

Secondly, pervasive corruption: we have heard plenty of words and gestures, but have seen fewer concrete outcomes. The political class will need to lead by example, for instance by publicly disclosing their assets and by abolishing their so-called ‘economic offices’.

I cannot overstate that anti-corruption efforts in Iraq will be key to unlocking immense social, economic and political potential. Without meaningful progress here, we risk treading water on nearly every other front.

A related key demand of the demonstrators is an environment conducive to employment and growth. While this is one of the best remedies against unrest and conflict, we have seen precious little in terms of implementation.

Madam President, some three weeks ago, following consultations with a wide range of Iraqis, including protesters and authorities, we proposed a number of steps as a way forward. And further initiatives to foster dialogue are ongoing or on their way.

But for this dialogue to succeed, the protesters’ conditions are clear: an end to the bloodshed, abductions and unlawful arrests.

Also, it must be understood that without full accountability and justice - it will be nearly impossible to convince the people that political leaders are sincerely willing to engage in substantial reform.

And while I acknowledge that a collective protesters’ movement does not necessarily recognize central leadership, some structure and coordination on the part of the peaceful protesters will prove of great importance as well.

Madam President, the Prime Minister’s resignation was accepted by Parliament last Sunday. Today, the Speaker asked the President to designate a new Prime Minister - he will have 15 days to do so. In turn, the Prime Minister-designate will have 30 days to form a government.

While talks about the Prime Minister-designate are ongoing between political leaders, I would like to emphasize the urgency of current circumstances. Political leaders do not have the luxury of time and must rise to the moment.

Moreover, they will have to come clean in public and advance real solutions, instead of leaving it to a Prime Minister with little or no support. I have always emphasized that a Government cannot go it alone. It is a collective responsibility of the political class as a whole.

With your permission, Madam President, I will now briefly turn to Baghdad-Erbil relations. Another critical file. As I said in earlier briefings: relations are surely on an upswing, but I must repeat that, to date, this has not materialized in the form of real breakthroughs on the ground.

In Sinjar, we continue to face major restrictions to our humanitarian action. Erbil and Baghdad are duty-bound to establish a single administration and stable security structures. Their ongoing failure to agree can no longer be explained nor tolerated.

Another concern is the situation in Dohuk governorate: over 16,000 Syrian refugees have arrived so far, and more continue to arrive on a daily basis. Nine years into the Syrian conflict, we did not expect to open new refugee camps in Iraq. And let’s not forget: they add to the quarter million Syrians already being hosted in the Kurdish region.

Now, while the protests dominate our attention, we should not forget the legacy of yesterday’s fight against ISIL. As we speak, a new disaster is in the making. On many occasions, I have stated that the situation in camps (such as al-Hawl) is not sustainable. Transnational threats demand collective action, but instead we are seeing a frankly shocking lack of international long-term thinking.

Madam President, I would now like to turn to the issue of missing Kuwaiti, third-country nationals and missing Kuwaiti property, including the national archives.

Despite the domestic crisis, I am pleased to report that, on October 27, Iraq handed over approximately 200,000 books belonging to the Kuwaiti National Library and Kuwait University.

I would also like to commend the difficult work carried out by Kuwaiti forensic experts in the ongoing identification process of the human remains that were found earlier this year in the Samawah desert. I truly hope that these efforts can soon be completed, delivering some closure to relatives.

A final word, Madam President, on the ongoing demonstrations in Iraq. The country is as at a crossroads.

In my meeting with Grand Ayatollah Sistani, he expressed concern that relevant actors might not be serious enough to implement any meaningful reform. He added that “the situation cannot continue as it was before the demonstrations”.
Very true.

Meanwhile, the protesters appear determined to persevere as long as their demands remain unheeded.
The situation cannot be resolved by buying time with band-aid solutions and coercive measures: this approach will only further fuel public anger and distrust.

Pursuing partisan interests, muddling through or brutally cracking down on peaceful protesters: these are no strategies at all. And nothing is more damaging than a climate of anger and fear. We must not let history repeat itself.

Out of any crisis, new and great opportunities can emerge. Iraq is not a lost cause. Far from it. It has immense potential.

The challenge is to seize this opportunity and to build a sovereign, stable, inclusive and prosperous Iraq. Now is the time to act. The great hopes of so many Iraqis call for bold, forward thinking.

Thank you very much.

http://www.uniraq.org/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=12114:briefing-to-the-security-council-by-jeanine-hennis-plasschaert-3-december-2019&Itemid=712&lang=en
claud39
claud39
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Briefing to the Security Council by Jeanine Hennis-Plasschaert 3 December 2019 Empty Security Council: Iraq called to end violence against protesters and to embark on reforms

Post by claud39 Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:32 am

[size=36]Security Council: Iraq called to end violence against protesters and to embark on reforms[/size]

DECEMBER 3, 2019

Briefing to the Security Council by Jeanine Hennis-Plasschaert 3 December 2019 SC%20slide

Stop the crackdown on protesters, urgently form a credible government and respond to the legitimate demands of the people by initiating the reforms that it demands: this is the list of priorities set out this morning in the Security Council by the Representative. Special Report of the Secretary-General for Iraq and Head of the United Nations Assistance Mission in Iraq (UNAMI).

Iraq is at a real crossroads, said Jeanine Hennis-Plasschaert, denouncing a dangerous atmosphere of fear and anger: we must not let history repeat itself, she warned, saying that the protesters are determined to prolong the movement. "Coercive or cosmetic measures will not be enough," she warned.

Since the beginning of October, hundreds of thousands of Iraqis have taken to the streets "in the name of the homeland" and their national identity, made new after decades of sectarian conflict, to demand a better future. They paid a high price for their decision, with more than 400 dead and more than 19,000 wounded, the senior official said. The announcements of reforms, too late, are perceived as unrealistic or insufficient, as well as the investigations carried out by the Government on the violence are incomplete, she then noted.

But it is the primary responsibility of the state to protect its own people, she said, denouncing the presence of gangs and armed gangs, some of which are linked to "foreign powers". Their actions provide a "cynical excuse" for political inaction and "violent repression of peaceful demonstrations". She also denounced the corruption that is plaguing the country and called on the authorities to react to unlock the country's considerable potential.

Under its auspices, UNAMI conducted a series of consultations and proposed dialogue measures, initiatives unanimously welcomed by the members of the Council. But for them to succeed, Hennis-Plasschaert warned, bloodshed and established responsibilities must stop, otherwise it will be impossible to convince the people that the authorities sincerely wish to embark on the path of reform. 

Meanwhile, the President must appoint a new Prime Minister who will form a government without delay. All must rise to the occasion, it is a responsibility of the political class as a whole, insisted the Special Representative. These demonstrations are a sign of a rejection of the political class and structures established after 2003, insisted Bishop Bashar Warda, the Archbishop of Erbil, who also saw the rejection of a constitution based on sectarianism. and offends the plurality of "historical Iraq".

Peaceful from the beginning, the demonstrations are now confronted with the "extreme" violence of "militias", denounced the religious leader urging the international community to react and not be satisfied with "false leadership changes". Otherwise, Iraq will sink into civil war and become an area of ​​lawlessness, porous to neighborhood wars, he predicted by calling urgently for the holding of inclusive elections, as demanded by the demonstrators. "We have a right to a future, do not turn our backs on us," he concluded. For the United States, who praised the role of UNAMI in organizing an inclusive dialogue, "it is too late to back down": she cautioned the authorities against restrictions on freedom of expression. expression and against any outside interference,

Denouncing a "systematic, disproportionate and unacceptable repression" of the demonstrations, France called to shed light on these incidents and to bring those responsible for these acts to justice: without rapid and credible reaction, the violence will worsen, risking to drag the country into chaos, a situation that Daesh, in particular, would take advantage of. South Africa suggested involving the Peacebuilding Commission in support of the Government's efforts in institution-building and reconstruction efforts. And the Russian Federation hoped for an "as fast as possible" response to social demands and the rapid formation of a new government to avoid the destabilization of the country.

The Russian representative also hoped that the dialogue initiated between Baghdad and Erbil will continue, taking into account the protection of "all communities" in the context of the Islamic State organization's fight against terrorism. "The failure to agree is unbearable," noted Hennis-Plasschaert, equally concerned about the influx of new refugees in the Dohuk region, bordering Syria, which forces to open new camps. "A disaster is in the making," she warned about the Hol camp, lamenting the lack of collective response and long-term international thinking.

"The failure to agree is unbearable," noted Hennis-Plasschaert, equally concerned about the influx of new refugees in the Dohuk region, bordering Syria, which forces to open new camps. "A disaster is in the making," she warned about the Hol camp, lamenting the lack of collective response and long-term international thinking. "The failure to agree is unbearable," noted Hennis-Plasschaert, equally concerned about the influx of new refugees in the Dohuk region, bordering Syria, which forces to open new camps. "A disaster is in the making," she warned about the Hol camp, lamenting the lack of collective response and long-term international thinking.

On a completely different subject, the Director-General of the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), Robert Mardini, confirmed the discovery in March 2019 - the first time in 14 years - of the remains of a Kuwaiti national in Iraq and the identification of two possible mass graves of Kuwaiti nationals in Al Mouthanna province. In August, the Iraqi authorities had returned 46 boxes and two bags containing these remains: if it turned out that they correspond to missing persons, they would be passed on to families, said the delegate to the attention of his counterpart from Kuwait: he reiterated his country's concern about the abducted and disappeared Kuwaitis in 1990-1991 and welcomed the cooperation shown by Iraq on this issue.

The representative of Iraq also assured that his country remained committed to compensate for the losses caused to Kuwait, noting that $ 3.5 billion remained to be settled by 2020. However, he contested the observations contained in the report. of the Secretary-General: for him the current movements in Iraq are a sign of the development of political awareness and maturity and demonstrate that the people support the reform efforts undertaken. According to him, the crackdown is carried out by "illegal groups who infiltrated the demonstrations and attacked the protesters and the authorities", leaving 300 dead and 1,500 wounded among the demonstrators and the security forces.

THE SITUATION CONCERNING IRAQ - ( S / 2019/865 , S / 2019/903 )
declarations

Mrs. JEANINE HENNIS-PLASSCHAERT, Special Representative of the Secretary-General for Iraq and Head of the United Nations Assistance Mission in that country (UNAMI) , focused on the domestic situation and youth-led protests against lack of economic and social prospects, corruption and partisan interests as well as foreign interference.

Hundreds of thousands of Iraqis took to the streets "in the name of the homeland and their national identity" and to ask to live in a country realizing its full potential, explained the senior official. They have paid a heavy price with more than 400 dead and more than 19,000 wounded, said Hennis-Plasschaert, who said that last week he met a 16-year-old wounded man in a Baghdad hospital whose mother told him entrusted that the "youth was desperate". These young people have no memory of the life under Saddam Hussein but know perfectly well that a better future is possible. After years and even decades of sectarian conflict, a new sense of homeland has emerged, said the Special Representative. 

However, the authorities have from the first day resorted to excessive use of force, as evidenced by the heavy balance sheets of the demonstrations, leading to a crisis of deep trust, despite announcements and promises of reforms perceived as unrealistic or insufficient and too late. Government investigations into the violence in early October are considered incomplete, she said. The UNAMI Chief acknowledged that arrest warrants had been issued, but the Special Representative insisted that the perpetrators be held accountable. she said. The UNAMI Chief acknowledged that arrest warrants had been issued, but the Special Representative insisted that the perpetrators be held accountable. she said. The UNAMI Chief acknowledged that arrest warrants had been issued, but the Special Representative insisted that the perpetrators be held accountable. 

The Government has pledged to reduce lethal force, and its troops have shown greater restraint in recent times, without giving up live ammunition and non-lethal weapons that cause serious injury or even death, and serious abuses continue. such as kidnappings and disappearances. She reiterated the importance of guaranteeing fundamental rights and accountability at all levels. The closure of the Internet and social media fuel the idea that the authorities have something to hide, she denounced. She also worried about the presence of gangs and armed gangs that could cause chaos and confusion, some of which are related to foreign powers, which, according to her, complicates the work of the security forces. "And that provides a cynical excuse for political inaction or worse: an excuse for all kinds of plots to justify a violent crackdown on peaceful protests. 

But the vast majority of protesters are peaceful and hope for a better life, she said, so it is the primary responsibility of the state to protect its people. Any form of violence is intolerable in the face of the legitimate demand for reform. Opposite, the Government's ability to reform fades with each new death. Any form of violence is intolerable in the face of the legitimate demand for reform. Opposite, the Government's ability to reform fades with each new death. Any form of violence is intolerable in the face of the legitimate demand for reform. Opposite, the Government's ability to reform fades with each new death.

The vastness of the problems certainly makes it difficult to act quickly, however, the long-standing demands are very real, Hennis-Plasschaert insisted, citing the demand for free, credible and fair elections and the demand for electoral reforms in all the countries. Similarly, corruption gangrenes the country and the political class must lead the way by abolishing the "economic positions": these efforts will be essential to unlock the country's potential. Without progress on this front, we will retreat on all others, she warned. Following a series of consultations three weeks ago, dialogue measures have been proposed, but for them to succeed, bloodshed must stop. In the absence of establishment of responsibilities, 

The resignation of the Prime Minister was accepted by the Parliament last Sunday, the President will have 15 days to designate his successor who will have himself 30 days to form a government: the discussions are in progress, but this one insisted on the emergency. All must rise to the challenge and propose real solutions rather than relying on a personality that lacks sufficient support. It is a responsibility of the political class as a whole, insisted the Special Representative.

Concerning Erbil, she then regretted the lack of concrete progress: in Sinjar, the restrictions on humanitarian actions continue, she said, calling on Baghdad and Erbil to quickly form a common administration because " failure to agree is unbearable, "said Hennis-Plasschaert. In Dohuk, more than 160,000 Syrian refugees have arrived so far, others continue to arrive every day and new refugee camps have been opened. They add to the quarter of millions of Syrians already welcomed in the region. A disaster is in the making, she also warned about the Hol camp: these threats require a collective response she hammered denouncing the lack of international reflection on the long term. Finally, with regard to missing Kuwaitis,

In conclusion, the Special Representative noted, Iraq is at a real crossroads, with protesters determined to prolong their struggle until there is a solution. Coercive or cosmetic measures will not suffice; defending political interests or violently suppressing protesters is not a strategy. Nothing is more damaging than an atmosphere of anger and fear, insisted Mrs. Hennis-Plasschaert, stressing that we must not "let history repeat itself". This country has immense potential, so we must seize this opportunity to build a healthy and prosperous Iraq, "said the Special Representative.

Mr ROBERT MARDINI, Director-General of the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) , recalled that his organization chairs the Tripartite Commission, which is responsible for tracing the missing persons. Since its creation in 1991, this Commission has participated in the repatriation of more than 75,000 individuals, civilian detainees and prisoners of war. After 2003, the remains of 275 people in Iraq and 98 people in Kuwait were found. He pointed out that 1,080 cases are pending before the Commission, of which 371 are missing persons brought to the attention of the Commission by Kuwait, 700 by Iraq and 9 by Saudi Arabia. 

The Director-General confirmed the discovery in March 2019, for the first time in 14 years, of the remains of a Kuwaiti national in Al Mouthanna, Iraq. He also mentioned the new pieces of information that led to the identification of what could be two mass graves of Kuwaiti nationals in Al Mouthanna province. In August, the Iraqi authorities returned 46 boxes and two bags containing these remains, which are currently being examined by the Kuwaiti authorities. If these remains correspond to missing persons, they will be passed on to the families, said the delegate, adding that the identification process must take a year. He recalled that the wound left by the disappearance of the people is deep and that the work to find their traces requires an unwavering determination. The Commission intends to continue its work of identification, as the ICRC is fully committed to realizing the right of families to know the fate of their loved ones, concluded the delegate.

BASHAR MATTI WARDA, Archbishop of Erbil,said that the current protests in Iraq are a sign of a rejection of the majority of the population of the structure set up after 2003 and the current Government. It is a rejection of a constitution based on sectarianism that divides Iraq and prevents it from becoming a united and functional country, he said, adding that instead of bringing hope and Prosperity, the structure of the present Government has brought only despair and corruption. Warda also said it was important to understand that Christians are not only side by side with protesters but have been welcomed by Muslim protesters. Other minorities, including the Yazidis, have also been well received. This shows the richness and plurality of "historic Iraq", he insisted, 

The archbishop went on to say that while the demonstrations have been peaceful since the beginning, they are now confronted with "extreme" and daily "militia" violence. As many as 400 protesters have already been killed, not counting the wounded, he said, adding that despite this, the protesters remain non-violent. From the Archbishop's point of view, the stakes of these protests are the emergence of an Iraq free from the "trauma" caused by Saddam Hussein and the last 16 years. The goal is to become an independent and functional country, the archbishop continued. 

If these demonstrations fail to win a new government, if the international community allows the killing of innocent people to continue, Iraq will sink into civil war and become an area of ​​lawlessness, open to neighborhood wars serving sectarian interests decided outside Iraq, he warned, adding that it would also send millions of Iraqis, including Christians and Yazidis outside their country, "in the diaspora". In this context, continued the Archbishop, the international community can not be satisfied with "false changes in leadership", which is not a real change. According to him, it is clear that the group in power does not intend to lose control, as it will do everything to maintain the current structure. The international community must understand that the protesters will not accept it, he warned again, calling on him not to support "false changes". 

open to neighborhood wars serving sectarian interests decided outside Iraq, he warned, adding that it would also send millions of Iraqis, including Christians and Yazidis out of their country, "in the diaspora ". In this context, continued the Archbishop, the international community can not be satisfied with "false changes in leadership", which is not a real change. According to him, it is clear that the group in power does not intend to lose control, as it will do everything to maintain the current structure.

The international community must understand that the protesters will not accept it, he warned again, calling on him not to support "false changes". open to neighborhood wars serving sectarian interests decided outside Iraq, he warned, adding that it would also send millions of Iraqis, including Christians and Yazidis out of their country, "in the diaspora ". In this context, continued the Archbishop, the international community can not be satisfied with "false changes in leadership", which is not a real change. According to him, it is clear that the group in power does not intend to lose control, as it will do everything to maintain the current structure. 

The international community must understand that the protesters will not accept it, he warned again, calling on him not to support "false changes". adding that it would also send millions of Iraqis, including Christians and Yazidis out of their country, "into the diaspora". In this context, continued the Archbishop, the international community can not be satisfied with "false changes in leadership", which is not a real change. According to him, it is clear that the group in power does not intend to lose control, as it will do everything to maintain the current structure. 

The international community must understand that the protesters will not accept it, he warned again, calling on him not to support "false changes". adding that it would also send millions of Iraqis, including Christians and Yazidis out of their country, "into the diaspora". In this context, continued the Archbishop, the international community can not be satisfied with "false changes in leadership", which is not a real change. According to him, it is clear that the group in power does not intend to lose control, as it will do everything to maintain the current structure. 

The international community must understand that the protesters will not accept it, he warned again, calling on him not to support "false changes". the international community can not be satisfied with "false changes in leadership", which is not a real change. According to him, it is clear that the group in power does not intend to lose control, as it will do everything to maintain the current structure. The international community must understand that the protesters will not accept it, he warned again, calling on him not to support "false changes". 

the international community can not be satisfied with "false changes in leadership", which is not a real change. According to him, it is clear that the group in power does not intend to lose control, as it will do everything to maintain the current structure. The international community must understand that the protesters will not accept it, he warned again, calling on him not to support "false changes".  

This does not mean, he said, that some groups do not have legitimate demands for representation in a new government, but these demands must be taken into account, taking into account the current nature of the Government of Iraq and the basic need for its replacement and change. But to achieve such change, the first step is inclusive elections, Warda said. The protesters insist on this and the international community must support them, he said, adding that these elections should be overseen by the UN. Only in this way will a new government emerge for an Iraq free from corruption and where all its citizens, including Christians, will enjoy the same opportunities.

Ms. KELLY CRAFT ( United States) has recognized that the country is at a turning point in its history: in recent weeks the world has seen all faiths go down the streets and proclaim their unity, which is a glimmer of hope according to her. She said her country "strongly supports" the Iraqi people seeking to create a prosperous country for all by eradicating corruption, but first and foremost, Iraqi officials must be held accountable. At this critical juncture, UNAMI, in its view, has a vital role to play in promoting inclusive political dialogue and supporting the promotion of a new constitution. 

The Special Representative has already organized a dialogue aimed at meeting the demands of the population, she said, calling on Iraqi officials to draft a road map to meet the protesters' demands. Iraqis have the right to freedom of expression, Craft said, expressing deep concern over the disproportionate violence used by government forces and militias. Any attempt to limit freedom of expression or access to the Internet must stop and foreign actors do not interfere in Iraqi affairs, she insisted. 

The US delegate then hailed the successes of UNAMI, which saw a Council visit six months ago. For the coming year, she said, it will still be necessary to build on this progress and the Mission will have to cooperate with the country to promote the organization of free elections and the fight against impunity. She concluded by calling on the leaders to move forward, because it is, according to her, too late to back down.

Mr. MANSOUR AYYAD SH. A. ALOTAIBI ( Kuwaitsaid he was following the protests that have shaken Iraq in recent weeks. The delegation condemned the violence, saying that "troublemakers" should not be allowed to attack peaceful protesters and destroy property. That is why she called on the Iraqi authorities to open investigations and hold the perpetrators accountable. The representative also said that he was aware of the difficulties facing Iraq. Kuwait, he said, is doing everything it can to help the authorities in Baghdad, with full respect for the national sovereignty and territorial integrity of Iraq, while rejecting non-interference in business. of Iraq. On an other subject, the representative expressed concern about the issue of abducted or missing Kuwaitis. The delegation appreciated the cooperation shown by Iraq on this issue, although there were still some things to be resolved. Kuwait also appreciated the fact that Iraq has returned Kuwaiti property and assets in its possession. However, there is still room for improvement, the delegation said, particularly with regard to the return of the "invaluable" archives that were looted during the invasion of Kuwait. 

Ms KAREN PIERCE ( United Kingdom) supported the peace-loving people of Iraq, who said they were shocked by the deaths since the protests began. It called for proportionate responses from the authorities and denounced the use of live ammunition, calling for credible investigations of such violence and the establishment of responsibilities by the authorities. Pierce also expressed deep concern over the attacks on the Iranian consulates. 

She then commended the Special Representative's efforts to promote inclusive dialogue that responded to the challenges and grievances of the people and called on the Government to cooperate with the United Nations. But ending hate speech does not mean muzzling freedom of expression, she warned. It is clear, however, that Daesh is still a threat to peace and security in Iraq: the investigation and accountability team, however, continues to make progress, she noted. assistance provided by UNAMI in this regard. In addition, the British representative noted reports of forced returns of Syrian refugees to their country. Finally, she insisted on the return of the remains of Kuwaitis, before calling for credible investigations of the victims of the demonstrations and launching a call for unity behind UNAMI, which is accompanying Iraq on the path of far-reaching reforms. before welcoming the assistance provided by UNAMI in this regard.

In addition, the British representative noted reports of forced returns of Syrian refugees to their country. Finally, she insisted on the return of the remains of Kuwaitis, before calling for credible investigations of the victims of the demonstrations and launching a call for unity behind UNAMI, which is accompanying Iraq on the path of far-reaching reforms. before welcoming the assistance provided by UNAMI in this regard. In addition, the British representative noted reports of forced returns of Syrian refugees to their country. Finally, she insisted on the return of the remains of Kuwaitis, before calling for credible investigations of the victims of the demonstrations and launching a call for unity behind UNAMI, which is accompanying Iraq on the path of far-reaching reforms.

Mr VASSILY A. NEBENZIA ( Russian Federation) said that his country was closely following the situation in Iraq, attributing these protest movements to socio-economic factors. The delegation hoped that the authorities would respond as quickly as possible to social demands and form a government, in order to avoid a destabilization of this country, which could have regional repercussions, the representative stressed. Mr. Nebenzia also said that it was also necessary to start and continue a dialogue between Baghdad and Erbil, while ensuring that the interests of all communities are taken into account and protected, in the context of the fight against Daech. On the question of Iran, he reiterated the importance of non-interference in the internal affairs of States. The Russian Federation defended good-neighborly relations between States,

Mr. NÉSTOR POPOLIZIO ( Peru ) expressed concern about the situation of social instability in Iraq and the large-scale demonstrations that took place in October across the country. In particular, the representative regretted the excessive use of force against demonstrators, to the detriment of the right of the population to peaceful expression, as well as the lethal weapons attacks in various Iraqi cities, which have made many dead and wounded. 

To put an end to this "vicious circle of violence and mistrust", he called on the Iraqi authorities to urgently consider the legitimate demands of protesters, namely the fight against corruption, the creation of jobs, improving public services and respect for human rights. These measures must, in his view, be accompanied by structural security reforms so as to organize transparent and peaceful elections in 2020, with the help of the international community. The representative welcomed the emergency measures taken by the Iraqi authorities in recent weeks to protect the most vulnerable and to promote the positive action of Iraqi youth.

In this difficult context, however, the representative praised the Government of Iraq's efforts to create a peaceful regional climate and, at the domestic level, to integrate women into the country's political life, as reflected in the appointment of Suha Ali Bek as Minister of Education. Lastly, he called for resolving the plight of Iraqi refugees and IDPs, as well as the 30,000 Iraqis affiliated with Daesh, based on the principle of orderly, voluntary, safe and dignified return.

Mr JOSÉ SINGER WEISINGER ( Dominican Republic) supported the legitimate right to manifest and condemn acts of violence and destruction of public and private property. In the same vein, the delegation condemned the use of force against demonstrators who pose no danger. However, the delegation appreciated the decisions taken before the resignation of the Prime Minister, which he said were in line with the protesters' demands. The Dominican Republic, however, considered it "essential" to respect the sovereignty and territorial integrity of Iraq. All internal difficulties in Iraq can only be resolved through dialogue, he said, adding that UNAMI should be able to support Iraq in this process of internal dialogue.

Mr STEPHEN MAHLABADISHAGO NTSOANE ( South Africa) supported the mandate of UNAMI, which promotes the strengthening of the Government and the forthcoming electoral processes. He welcomed the progress made in relations between the Government of Iraq and the Government of Kurdistan on the distribution of oil revenues. But he noted with concern the repression of the demonstrations, calling on the Government to respond to the grievances and fight against impunity. He welcomed the reforms announced for public services, calling for the formation of an inclusive government. National reconciliation is essential to prevent future policies and actions from being undermined, he insisted, as well as relations with neighboring countries. Security is essential for Iraq to provide basic services to its citizens, Ntsoane said.

Mr. MUHSIN SYIHAB ( Indonesia ) expressed his concern at the violence of the demonstrations, calling on the parties to dialogue and restraint. Having defended the sovereignty and territorial integrity of Iraq, the representative also considered that the inclusion and protection of minorities, as well as cooperation with its neighboring countries, are factors that promote peace and stability in Iraq. Iraq. For that reason, the delegation welcomed the progress made on the issue of missing persons and Kuwaiti property.

For Mr. HAITAO WU ( China), maintaining stability and restoring order in Iraq is a priority. The Iraqi Government has taken a number of steps to respond to protesters' demands, he said, saying the country certainly has the wisdom and ability to respond to the current unrest. Recalling that the Security Council had visited the country in June, he had shown his support for the country: in a spirit of mutual respect and cooperation, the latter has made progress in good relations in the region. -He insists. But the country remains consolidating peacebuilding efforts; inclusive dialogue and national reconciliation efforts should be supported. Iraq has worked hard for stability and security, with governments promoting reconciliation and dialogue. Also, the international community, more than ever, must support these efforts towards harmonious coexistence, he said. Wu recalled that Iraq has made great sacrifices in the fight against terrorism. The international community must fully respect the national sovereignty of this country and continue to honor its commitments, helping it to design a suitable development project. 

Mrs ANNE GUEGUEN ( France) said that Iraq is currently experiencing a crucial period for its democratic future, before strongly condemning the systematic repression of demonstrators and the disproportionate use of force against them. All the light must be shed on the circumstances of this repression and those responsible must be brought to justice, the representative said. She called on the Iraqi authorities to guarantee freedom of expression, assembly and demonstration as provided for in the country's constitution. In the face of this unprecedented crisis since the fight against Daesh, immobility is not an option, Gueguen said. Without a quick and credible response, increasing violence and deteriorating economic and social conditions could drive Iraq into chaos.

At the same time, it is important to provide a credible response to the aspirations expressed by Iraqis over the last few weeks. This requires a genuine democratic dialogue, the only one capable of preserving Iraq's stability for the duration of its stability. In order to create the conditions for such a dialogue, Iraq must rapidly acquire a government capable of adopting the necessary emergency measures, in particular the reform of the electoral law and the effective reintegration of paramilitary groups. under the authority of the Prime Minister or the adoption of robust anti-corruption measures. "We support the work of UNAMI, especially its work for reconciliation among the different components of Iraqi society, stabilization and the political process," 

For Mr MARC PECSTEEN DE BUYTSWERVE ( Belgium), freedom of expression and peaceful assembly are fundamental rights that must be respected. Belgium, he added, is deeply concerned that some of the demonstrations have resulted in acts of violence by the police and the presence of elements that would derail peaceful protests. This places Iraq on a dangerous trajectory, warned Mr Pecsteen from Buytswerve who asked "how can we get out of this dynamic? ". 

The representative called on all actors, in particular the security forces, to follow the President's instructions to act at all times with the utmost restraint. All parties should engage in constructive dialogue, welcomed the delegate, which encouraged the Government to accelerate its efforts to meet the demands of the protesters: the fight against corruption, economic recovery, job creation, the provision of basic services to the population and the tangible improvement of the lives of the people. people. Electoral reform has been a central demand of many peaceful protesters, he said. In order to ensure the long-term stability of the country, Mr. Pecsteen de Buytswerve encouraged the Government to continue its efforts in the areas of reconciliation, security sector reform and the establishment of measures conducive to the development of the sector. private sector, including measures to improve the confidence of investors and traders in the rule of law that protects their investments. Finally, 

Mr. KACOU HOUADJA LÉON ADOM ( Ivory Coast) deplored the current wave of violence, which seriously undermines the democratic and political gains in Iraq and puts the country at risk of lasting anarchy and instability. He urged the Government of Iraq to undertake the necessary reforms to avoid the widespread conflagration of a country that continues to face the threat of terrorism. The representative cautioned against the risk of a resurgence of Daesh in Iraq and called for increased cooperation between UNAMI, the Investigative Team and the Government in the fight against Daesh. He further stressed the urgent need to ensure the fight against impunity with regard to crimes committed by Daesh. According to the Ivorian delegation,

Ms JOANNA WRONECKA ( Poland) expressed its deep concern about developments in Iraq, alarmed by the number of deaths and injuries and the use of live ammunition against demonstrators. It condemned all acts of violence, including those committed by unidentified armed groups, calling on all actors to restrain. She called for prompt, independent and credible investigations to establish the responsibilities of these acts. 

The legitimate aspirations of Iraqi citizens to professional opportunities and basic services are still a dead letter, she said. It is therefore essential to redouble efforts to launch an inclusive and transparent dialogue to address these priorities. The representative then noted the measures announced by the authorities, encouraging the Iraqi political class to come together to guarantee necessary reforms. Ms. Wronecka then welcomed the appointment of the first woman in the Government, Ministry of Education.

But one of the decisive factors of long-term stability will be national unity and reconciliation, she said, saying that the international community must support the conduct of investigations, the rights of vulnerable minorities and the rebuilding of sectors. previously in the hands of Daesh, an essential condition for the return of the displaced, she insisted. Iraq and the region need peace and stability more than ever, she said, hailing the "remarkable work" done by UNAMI.

Ms. Wronecka then welcomed the appointment of the first woman in the Government, Ministry of Education. But one of the decisive factors of long-term stability will be national unity and reconciliation, she said, saying that the international community must support the conduct of investigations, the rights of vulnerable minorities and the rebuilding of sectors. previously in the hands of Daesh, an essential condition for the return of the displaced, she insisted. Iraq and the region need peace and stability more than ever, she said, hailing the "remarkable work" done by UNAMI.

Ms. Wronecka then welcomed the appointment of the first woman in the Government, Ministry of Education. But one of the decisive factors of long-term stability will be national unity and reconciliation, she said, saying that the international community must support the conduct of investigations, the rights of vulnerable minorities and the rebuilding of sectors. previously in the hands of Daesh, an essential condition for the return of the displaced, she insisted.

Iraq and the region need peace and stability more than ever, she said, hailing the "remarkable work" done by UNAMI. affirming that the international community must support the conduct of investigations, the rights of vulnerable minorities and the rebuilding of sectors previously in the hands of Daesh, a condition essential to the return of the displaced, she insisted. Iraq and the region need peace and stability more than ever, she said, hailing the "remarkable work" done by UNAMI. affirming that the international community must support the conduct of investigations, the rights of vulnerable minorities and the rebuilding of sectors previously in the hands of Daesh, a condition essential to the return of the displaced, she insisted. Iraq and the region need peace and stability more than ever, she said, hailing the "remarkable work" done by UNAMI.

Mr JUERGEN SCHULZ ( Germany) stated that, as a "friend country" of Iraq, his country deplores the excessive use of violence and recalls that the use of lethal bullets should only be used as a last resort. His delegation also deplored the arrest of journalists and the closure of some media. He emphasized the need to respect the plurality of opinions. Regarding the political situation, Germany lamented the Prime Minister's resignation, saying that he expected the next government to respond to protesters' demands and fight corruption. The representative also stated that his country, as a partner in the fields of reconstruction and energy, has since 2014 donated no less than 2.2 billion euros to these sectors in Iraq. In conclusion, he wished to

Ms. AMPARO MELE COLIFA ( Equatorial Guinea) expressed its concern at recent developments in Iraq, following protests in Baghdad in early October, in which more than 100 people were killed and more than 6,000 others were injured, including members of law enforcement. "We regret that these protests have reached such a magnitude," she said, calling on all parties to exercise restraint. From his point of view, Iraqi citizens have the right to demonstrate peacefully and the police must be responsible in order to protect the entire population. She echoed the concerns of the Iraqi people, who called for an effective government that could meet the needs of its people and work in the national interest. 

She also welcomed the consultations among the country's various political leaders, which she said helped to remove the obstacles to the formation of the Government, as well as the first steps taken by the Government in response to the demonstrations. It also welcomed bilateral negotiations between the Federal Government of Iraq and the Government of the Kurdistan Region to resolve outstanding issues relating to oil, income distribution and security arrangements. In general, the representative saw in the turmoil traversed by the country the proof of the good functioning of its democratic institutions. She called for a quick appointment of a Prime Minister to fill the void left by the resignation of Mr. Adil Abdul-Mahdi.

For Mr. MOHAMMED HUSSEIN BAHR ALULOOM ( Iraq ), the remarkable demonstrations were tainted by the actions of illegal groups who attacked the protesters and the authorities. These people, he said, have nothing to do with the protesters and use them as human shields to block roads, burn and loot, attack authorities with guns, destroy schools and infrastructure. port. The representative therefore wished to make the following clarifications: his Government has fully recognized the right to protest guaranteed by the Constitution and remains committed to giving the people the opportunity to express themselves without questioning public order. He will spare no effort to meet the legitimate demands of the protesters, he promised.

The Government launched top-level investigations to identify the illegal groups that infiltrated the demonstrations and attacked protesters and authorities, the central bank, the media and burned stores, leaving 300 dead and 1,500 wounded among the protesters. and security forces. The report of the Secretary-General on the agenda deals with recent events and a number of acts of violence against protesters, but the Iraqi Government has respected the Constitution, he said.

He gave strict instructions against the use of lethal weapons and the security forces adopted a defensive stance, he said. But the infiltrated illegal groups however attacked them, lamented the representative. The Prime Minister has ordered the formation of committees to investigate and transmit their case to the judicial authorities to identify the perpetrators of these disorders, in addition, the Government will bear the costs of care for the injured. On the suspension of Internet services, he found it necessary to defend the Constitution and noted that they had been reinstated.

The supreme religious authorities of Najaf supported the demonstrators, calling on the Government to honor its obligation of protection while condemning external interference. The Government has adopted a broad package of reforms to promote social justice and corruption. It adopted a new law to eliminate the privileges of civil servants and provided for a new electoral code and a draft law on the creation of an independent electoral commission. He also welcomed the ongoing consultations between UNAMI, the President and the Prime Minister and the Chamber of Deputies to respond to the demands of the protesters, committing him to respect his mandate. The Prime Minister submitted his resignation after the speech of the religious authorities of Najaf, which was accepted on December 1st.

The authorities responded to the demands of the protesters, he insisted, citing the hiring of young graduates in the ministries and efforts to facilitate the granting of loans for housing reconstruction and land distribution. It is also working to increase non-oil revenues, including the creation of a reconstruction council. Mr. Bahr Aluloom ensured the return of 80 per cent of the displaced and established stabilization services and programs in cooperation with the United Nations Development Program (UNDP). He will present his 2020 budget soon, he said, by saying he is ready to adopt an action plan to take care of the children recruited by Daesh and the families of the combatants as well as the victims of rape. 

Regarding the return of the remains of 47 missing Kuwaitis found in a mass grave, he assured that his country remains committed to return the confiscated property and will continue to pay his due to Kuwait, noting that there remains $ 3.5 billion to be settled by 2020. The current movements in Iraq are a sign of the development of a political conscience, he said. They demonstrate that the people support current reform efforts and are a sign of political maturity cultivated by the Government, he said. Young people have grown up in a democratic environment that encourages the demand for such rights and these efforts will continue, he promised in conclusion.

https://www.un.org/press/fr/2019/cs14038.doc.htm
claud39
claud39
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Briefing to the Security Council by Jeanine Hennis-Plasschaert 3 December 2019 Empty Al - Hashemi: Ambassador of Iraq to the United Nations heart of the facts and Dulles phrases

Post by claud39 Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:51 pm

[size=35]Al - Hashemi: Ambassador of Iraq to the United Nations heart of the facts and Dulles phrases[/size]

2019-12-04 

[size=35]Briefing to the Security Council by Jeanine Hennis-Plasschaert 3 December 2019 Doc-P-327000-637110426686291119
[/size]

Iraqi analyst and security expert Hisham al-Hashemi accused Iraq's ambassador to the United Nations, Mohammed Bahr al-Uloum, of "turning the facts around and cheating phrases" in his speech yesterday.

He wrote Hashemi tweet him via Twitter, stating, that the briefing envoy UN was more credible, objective and equitable demonstrators October, unlike briefing Mohammed Hussein Bahr al- Ulum Iraq 's ambassador to the United Nations. "

He explained that the Sea of Science," the heart of the facts and oodles words , "stressing "Peaceful demonstrations should not be limited to the expulsion of the corrupt, but must include the expulsion of the fraudulent, and the fraud of the lie."

The representative of the United Nations Secretary-General in Iraq, Jenin Hennes-Blachart, on Tuesday, accused the Iraqi authorities of using "excessive force" against "peaceful demonstrators", which has killed more than 400 people and more than 19 thousand wounded, since the outbreak of popular protests in Iraq In early October, Iraq's UN ambassador in New York, Mohammed Hussein Bahr al-Ulum, denied that Iraqi security forces were responsible for the deaths and injuries of Iraqi civilians.

https://www.alsumaria.tv/news/%D8%B3%D9%8A%D8%A7%D8%B3%D8%A9/327000/%D8%A7%D9%84%D9%87%D8%A7%D8%B4%D9%85%D9%8A-%D8%B3%D9%81%D9%8A%D8%B1-%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%B9%D8%B1%D8%A7%D9%82-%D9%84%D8%AF%D9%89-%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%A7%D9%85%D9%85-%D8%A7%D9%84%D9%85%D8%AA%D8%AD%D8%AF%D8%A9-%D9%82%D9%84%D8%A8-%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%AD%D9%82%D8%A7%D8%A6%D9%82
claud39
claud39
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Briefing to the Security Council by Jeanine Hennis-Plasschaert 3 December 2019 Empty Iraq lauds Kuwait stance on Arabs

Post by claud39 Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:05 pm

Iraq lauds Kuwait stance on Arabs

2 hours ago

Briefing to the Security Council by Jeanine Hennis-Plasschaert 3 December 2019 ZHM102-Main-2019-12-04T13-35-22.513Z-1575466625-1024x751

NEW YORK, Dec 4, (Agencies): Iraq expressed its gratitude towards the State of Kuwait’s stance within the UNSC on issues pertaining to the Arab world – an effort, which bolstered regional and international stability and security. Iraq’s permanent representative to the UN headquarters in New York Ambassador Mohammad Bahr Al-Ulum delivered this praise during a UNSC session on the situation in Iraq.

The Iraqi diplomat said that cooperation with Kuwait was within the top priorities for Iraq, stressing that his country was willing to fulfill its commitment to the UNSC and its resolutions. Relations with Kuwait witnessed positive developments recently especially with the holding of joint committee meetings aimed at overcoming obstacles and bolstering ties, affirmed Ambassador Bahr Al-Ulum. In regards to the internal situation in Iraq, the Iraqi diplomat denied that security forces had used excessive force against protestors in the country, blaming “outlaw groups” for steering controversy.

He affirmed that Iraq would look into the demands of the protestors, focusing on efforts to rectify the political and economic situation in the country through reforms. Popular protests began in Iraq on October first and resumed since the 25th of the month, forcing the Iraqi government to resign last Friday. Kuwait, meanwhile, called for more selfcontrol and refrain from using violence during demonstrations in Iraq, expressing hope that fellow Arab country will overcome the current exceptional circumstances.

This came in a speech for Kuwait’s Permanent Representative at the UN Ambassador Mansour Al-Otaibi on Tuesday evening during a session of the Security Council on the situation in Iraq. Al-Otaibi called for confronting all those who seek to harm Iraq and its people, provoke sedition, destabilize security and stability, target demonstrators and destroy public and private property.

http://www.arabtimesonline.com/news/iraq-lauds-kuwait-stance-on-arabs/
claud39
claud39
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Briefing to the Security Council by Jeanine Hennis-Plasschaert 3 December 2019 Empty Human Rights: What you mentioned in the Security Council is similar to what we observed

Post by claud39 Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:21 pm

[ltr]Human Rights: What you mentioned in the Security Council is similar to what we observed[/ltr]

2019/12/04 

Briefing to the Security Council by Jeanine Hennis-Plasschaert 3 December 2019 Story_img_5de80e56d0b42

The head of the High Commission for Human Rights in Iraq, Aqeel al-Moussawi and his accompanying delegation discussed with the representative of the United Nations Secretary General in Iraq, Jenin Hennes Blaschart, the file of the demonstrations in Iraq and their repercussions and prospects for joint cooperation at this stage.

He praised Moussawi at the beginning of the meeting, according to the Commission's statement, which received (copy of the Euphrates News), "to brief the head of the UN mission in the meeting of the Security Council yesterday, stressing that it was adequate and focused, pointing out that the indicators and statistics contained in the number of victims of the demonstrations were very close With what was monitored by UNHCR and published in its reports and data, which was very accurate because it was based on field monitoring of UNHCR teams and documents issued by official bodies. "

Moussawi called "the mission to launch joint initiatives with the Commission to resolve conflicts in the provinces that are experiencing unrest on the back of the demonstrations and events that accompanied them.

For her part, Plasskhart stressed that "the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights is doing a very important and wonderful work during this phase and that the United Nations Mission is following with interest all reports and statements on the demonstrations and that she praised this role during the closed consultations between the Mission and Member States of the Security Council, stressing the readiness of the mission To broaden the horizons of cooperation with OHCHR and support its work in monitoring and protecting the realities of human rights

https://alforatnews.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=221488
claud39
claud39
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Briefing to the Security Council by Jeanine Hennis-Plasschaert 3 December 2019 Empty Statement of the Republic of Iraq delivered by the Permanent Representative of the Republic of Iraq to the United Nations in New York

Post by claud39 Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:47 am

[size=34]Statement of the Republic of Iraq delivered by the Permanent Representative of the Republic of Iraq to the United Nations in New York[/size]

05/12/2019

Briefing to the Security Council by Jeanine Hennis-Plasschaert 3 December 2019 IMG_7075-1024x576

Statement of the Republic of Iraq delivered by the Permanent Representative of the Republic of Iraq to the United Nations in New York

The Ambassador

Mohammed Hussein Bahr al-Ulum

During the Security Council briefing

To discuss the report of the UN Secretary-General on the UNAMI

New York

December 3, 2019

Distinguished President of the Council

Excellencies, Representatives of the States members of the Security Council

At the outset, allow me to congratulate the Permanent Representative of the United States of America for her assumption of the presidency of the Security Council for this month, as well as to thank the Permanent Representative of the United Kingdom for her efforts during her presidency of the Council in November 2019 , and to Ms. Jenin Blaschert, Special Representative of the Secretary-General The United Nations Assistance Mission for Iraq (UNAMI) for its briefing on the situation in Iraq for the period from July to October 2019. We also thank His Excellency Mr. Robert Mardini, Resident Representative of the ICRC. For his international offering them. We are pleased to see Bishop Warda attend this meeting, and to hear his briefing, which we reserve on some of its paragraphs.

Madam President

First of all, I pay tribute to the lives of the victims of the peaceful demonstrations in my country, to the comfort of their families, and to wish the wounded a cure.  

More than a month has elapsed since the outbreak of popular demonstrations in Baghdad and the southern cities. Because of the exposure of groups of outlaws to demonstrators, and the security forces.

These groups have nothing to do with the protests, but they cover up them, using them as human shields for banditry, arson, looting, clashes with security forces using Molotov cocktails, hand grenades, firearms, knives, etc., as well as disrupting schools and stopping port traffic. In this context, I would like to take this opportunity to clarify some key points. It does not spare any effort to meet the legitimate demands of all protesters, especially those calling for fundamental economic and political reforms through the conduct of constitutional mechanisms. To link. 

In this regard, the Government of my country is conducting follow-up investigations at the highest level necessary to diagnose and expose outlaw groups that are engaged with protesters, who riot against demonstrators, against security forces as well as their attacks on the Central Bank of Iraq, and the role of the press and publishing. The most recent was the burning of shops and stores in Al-Rasheed Street, Al-Khalani Square, and adjacent areas.

In this regard, the report of the Secretary-General on the situation in Iraq touched on the developments of events in relation to the demonstrations, pointing to the existence of some violations in the use of violence against demonstrators, and we emphasize that the position of the Iraqi government was to follow the constitutional methods in dealing with the demonstrators, and not to subject them, Instructions remain strict not to use live bullets, or any lethal weapons. The Prime Minister directed the formation of special committees to conduct fundamentalist transparent investigations to hold accountable minors, and to refer these files to the relevant judicial authorities to exercise their role in investigating, investigating and investigating their role in investigating and investigating these incidents.

I would also like to quote Prime Minister Adel Abdul-Mahdi's comment on the temporary blocking of the Internet by saying: “The digital world is a contemporary reality and a right for all, but the authorities in defense of the rights of the total are sometimes forced to restrict it when they see it used to promote violence, hatred and disruption of public life” , Which was brought back to work.

The government also expressed its rejection of everything that could endanger the security of the homeland and the citizen, including: kidnappings, and the exposure of demonstrators by outlaws, and that the government will take the necessary measures to confine arms to the state in order to complement its previous efforts in this regard.

Responding to the demands of the demonstrators, and in response to the call of the supreme religious authority in Najaf, which issued a number of statements in which it confirmed the support of the demonstrators' demands, calling on the government to do its duty to preserve their lives, and calling on the Iraqi authorities (the government and the parliament) to take the necessary measures to accelerate the reform process, Condemning outside interventions that want to demonize demonstrations to achieve objectives that do not serve the interests of Iraq and its people, my Government has launched wide-ranging reform packages in consultation with stakeholders, in particular the United Nations Assistance Mission for Iraq (UNAMI). Iraq (UNAMI) in accordance with the Iraqi Government's numbered resolutions (340, 341, 363, and 364), which include legislation that promotes social justice and supports the efforts of the Supreme Judicial Council to fight corruption, such as:, The government submitted a draft new election law and the draft Electoral Commission Law Independent Elections to the House of Representatives, was the first reading procedure for these two projects in the House of Representatives session held on November 19 , 2019 and the Iraqi Council of Representatives formed a committee of constitutional amendments , which also called for opinion makers in Iraq Academics, journalists, activists and civil society organizations to contribute to the formulation of the required constitutional amendments that meet the needs of the society and the demands of the demonstrators.

In this context, I would like to emphasize here the indicative role played by UNAMI based on its mandate through conducting, deepening dialogues with the three presidencies in order to seek ways and actions to be taken to meet the demands of the demonstrators, and we urge them to abide by the mechanisms contained in the mandate of the Mission in accordance with its decision. 2470 (2019).

Ms. Chairman

In line with the Supreme Religious Reference Sermon in Najaf on Friday 29/11/2019, and in response to the demands of the demonstrators, Prime Minister Adel Abdul Mahdi submitted a request to resign to the House of Representatives on 29/11/2019 to allow the Council to choose a new booth. The Council accepted it at its meeting held on Sunday, 1/12/2019, while waiting for the President of the Republic to present the candidate of the largest parliamentary bloc to form the new cabinet.

Members of the Council

In addition to adopting the above laws, a number of resolutions were issued to support the unemployed through granting financial grants for the implementation of small projects, opening the door for appointment to holders of higher degrees in the various Iraqi ministries, and opening the door for volunteering to join my ministries. Defense and Interior, providing facilities for the distribution of land plots, granting housing loans for the construction of housing units in the poorest governorates, as well as the application of the social compensation system, and the activation of the system of social security and health insurance, On the administrative level, the Council of Ministers has formed the Federal Service Council, which will ensure transparency in appointments for all Iraqis in the public sector. The government is also implementing its reform program, which is based on advancing economic development by increasing financial resources from non-oil sectors. On

Madam President

The Government of my country has been able to achieve the following:

• Successful repatriation of approximately 80% of the displaced. This is the result of significant efforts by my Government to fulfill the requirements of voluntary return on three important levels (provision of services, security, judicial and criminal scrutiny, and the fulfillment of the requirements of community peace). Dollars.

• My Government is keen to expedite the submission of the draft budget for 2020 according to priority to increase non-oil resources;

• My Government is keen to strengthen, intensify efforts to deal with the legacy of ISIS terrorist gangs, create an action plan to deal with (children recruited by the terrorist organization, foreign terrorist fighters, the wives and widows of terrorists and their children, survivors and rapists by terrorists), as well as strengthen efforts to Stabilizing the liberated areas and addressing the human rights concerns resulting from the return of terrorist elements and their families to Iraq. We urge other countries to extradite their nationals from the women and children who have completed their sentences, and children under the legal age of criminal responsibility.

Madam President

My Government affirms that the stability and prosperity of Iraq is a common regional interest. Based on this vision, we reaffirm Iraq's commitment to an important principle of foreign policy stipulated in the Iraqi Constitution, namely that its territory should not be the basis for any threat to the security and safety of neighboring countries. Engaging in any way with conflicts or conflicts in the region, based on his deep awareness of the responsibility placed on him and his belief in the importance of formulating a policy based on creating a balance that contributes to the maintenance of regional security, and prevent the development of conflicts to Mo For this purpose, and for the maintenance of international peace and security, Iraq stresses the necessity of uniting efforts and strengthening consultation to avoid escalation and tensions in the region. We call on all countries to avoid regional tensions and their negative effects on the security of the whole region. With his neighbors;

Madam President

Cooperation with the State of Kuwait is at the forefront of Iraq's priorities and through cooperation with the United Nations. We reaffirm my Government's keenness to abide by the relevant Security Council resolutions and to make every effort to meet them.

In this regard, I am pleased to brief Member States of the Council on the latest developments in this file, especially with regard to the content of paragraph (4) of resolution 2107 (2013), the most important of which is the handover of the remains of 47 Kuwaiti missing persons found in a mass grave from the time of the previous political regime, and the full fulfillment of Iraq. The last installment of the property was handed over to the relevant Kuwaiti authorities on October 27, 2019, as well as the continued payment of payments due to Iraq to Kuwait through the United Nations Compensation Commission, of which the remaining $ 3.5 billion is expected. Clog Fully generated with 2020.

The bilateral relations between the two brotherly countries have witnessed positive points, including the convening of the Joint Committee on a regular basis, which contributed to achieve significant progress on the topics within the constraints of joint cooperation.The most recent meetings of the Committee held in May 2019.

In this regard, we extend our thanks and appreciation to the efforts of the State of Kuwait, its Permanent Representative, and the Permanent Delegation of Kuwait to advocate Arab issues wisely and responsibly during its membership in the Security Council, which was clearly reflected in the consolidation of international peace and security.

Madam President

The current political movement in the Iraqi street is an expression of the evolution in the nature of the collective and individual political culture that respects the peaceful transfer of power through constitutional mechanisms. The demonstrations today confirmed the existence of a positive atmosphere that motivated the political system to review and reform public laws and regulations in the country. Best solutions to accelerate, and accelerate reforms.

Recent political developments in my country, Iraq, are a sign of growing political maturity, encouraged by government respect for the rights and freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution, including freedom of demonstration and expression of opinion. The situation under the previous regime was dominated by fear of brutal repression of freedoms; therefore, the future of the political process will witness positive developments, complementing the efforts that laid the foundations for a new democratic, stable and secure Iraq that respects international law. J, puts cooperation and openness compass foreign relations.

In conclusion 

We reiterate my Government's commitment to building a prosperous Iraq in coordination and cooperation with the international community in order to eradicate the scourge of terrorism, accelerate the reconstruction process, meet the legitimate demands of demonstrators for the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals, and the decisions of the Government Program, in accordance with the national laws in force.

Thank you, Madam President.

https://www.mofa.gov.iq/2019/12/?p=6754
claud39
claud39
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum