Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Phony Tony sez: Full Steam Ahead!
Back to 2008 as Zimdollar returns I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:51 am by Mission1st

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
Back to 2008 as Zimdollar returns I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am by Mission1st

» Russia aren't taking any prisoners
Back to 2008 as Zimdollar returns I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm by kenlej

» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
Back to 2008 as Zimdollar returns I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» ZIGPLACE
Back to 2008 as Zimdollar returns I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
Back to 2008 as Zimdollar returns I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
Back to 2008 as Zimdollar returns I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
Back to 2008 as Zimdollar returns I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
Back to 2008 as Zimdollar returns I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
Back to 2008 as Zimdollar returns I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
Back to 2008 as Zimdollar returns I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
Back to 2008 as Zimdollar returns I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
Back to 2008 as Zimdollar returns I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
Back to 2008 as Zimdollar returns I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
Back to 2008 as Zimdollar returns I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
Back to 2008 as Zimdollar returns I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
Back to 2008 as Zimdollar returns I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
Back to 2008 as Zimdollar returns I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
Back to 2008 as Zimdollar returns I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm by kenlej

» Dinar Daily Facebook Page
Back to 2008 as Zimdollar returns I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 3:34 pm by Ponee

Back to 2008 as Zimdollar returns

Go down

Back to 2008 as Zimdollar returns Empty Back to 2008 as Zimdollar returns

Post by RamblerNash Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:11 pm

Back to 2008 as Zimdollar returns

By Newsday  - June 29, 2019

FOR President Emmerson Mnangagwa’s government, the re-introduction of the national currency a decade after its demise is a return to “normalcy”.

For most of the country’s citizens, it’s a bitter reminder of years of hyperinflation, which destroyed their savings and left them bartering for daily basics.

“Remember 2008, when you needed trillions of dollars to buy bread? In Zimbabwe, time goes backwards,” said Edwin Mapondera (34), who sells wooden sculptures in one of Harare’s affluent northern suburbs.

“I’m taking any currency. People have not listened to this nonsense because now, the famous Zimbabwe dollar is going to become worthless in no time.”

The Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe said on Monday that starting immediately, currencies such as the United States dollar and South African rand would no longer be legal tender. Instead, a quasi-currency known as bond notes, which can’t be traded outside the country, and their electronic equivalent, the RTGS dollar, will be termed the Zimbabwe dollar.

By re-introducing it, the government is taking a risk, as more people may be driven into the black market, further starving the economy of already insufficient State revenue. That could leave the State struggling to pay government workers, who account for about 90% of its budget, and with little money to shore up creaking infrastructure.

Effects still linger from the last time the Zimbabwe dollar crashed and burned, transforming one of Africa’s most developed nations into a place where gasoline and bread were periodically unavailable, with almost everyone unemployed, while about a quarter of the population emigrated.

Just two blocks from the country’s premier Meikles Hotel, what was once a neat and active bus terminus is overrun by hundreds of vendors, selling everything from vegetables to spanners.

The 2008 catastrophe began after then President Robert Mugabe backed the seizure of white-owned commercial farms around the turn of the century. The farms’ new owners failed to produce, exports plummeted and the national currency rapidly lost its value. Then the central bank turned on the printing press in a bid to meet the government’s running costs.

Within eight years, inflation had reached 500 billion percent and the largest bank note was 100 trillion Zimbabwe dollars. Foreign currencies became legal tender in 2009. That initially stabilised the economy, but the strength of the dollar also made Zimbabwean manufacturing companies uncompetitive against those of their lower-cost South African rivals.

In November 2017, Mugabe was ousted and replaced by Emmerson Mnangagwa. The new President made a pledge that Zimbabwe would be “open for business”, but failed to address currency shortages and stagflation. The resulting lack of investment and scarce hard currency left people lining up outside banks, nor can the government pay for essential imports such as gasoline and wheat.

In February, under the urging of Finance minister Mthuli Ncube, the central bank did away with the insistence that bond notes and the RTGS$ were on par with the US currency and instead created an interbank market. Despite this week’s announcement, the RTGS$ has continued its decline. It traded at 13,50 to the dollar on Tuesday, according to data compiled by Bloomberg, bringing its fall this quarter to 69%.

“The market was self-US dollarising,” Ncube, an economist who has lectured at the University of Oxford, said in a video posted on Twitter. “It was uncontrollable and we felt that we needed to bring the situation under control.”

Ordinary Zimbabweans have seen at least three rounds of fuel price hikes this year, and the cost of other goods such as bread and beer have risen markedly. Inflation, officially at almost 100%, is much higher if black-market rates are used.

“This is going to cause widespread panic among a highly sensitive consumer base, which could provoke social unrest,” Jee-A van der Linde, an analyst at NKC African Economics in Paarl, South Africa, said in a note to clients. “The country simply does not have the foreign reserves required to back its own currency. Moreover, there is nothing that stands in the way of the RBZ to create more money.”

That sentiment is echoed by Zimbabwe’s business sector.

The central bank must “exercise restraint and prudence with the printing machine,” the Confederation of Zimbabwean Retailers president Denford Mutashu said. The Chamber of Mines of Zimbabwe said its members want to know if they will still be paid for their gold in forex they need dearly to pay for essential imports.

But the government’s biggest challenge may be avoiding a repeat of the unrest it saw in January when streets protests, led by labour unions, erupted after the fuel price was more than doubled overnight. At least 17 people died in the ensuing crackdown by security forces.

This decision “destroys whatever little confidence that was left”, said Peter Mutasa, president of the Zimbabwe Congress of Trade Unions. “As workers, we reserve the right to do whatever is right for us, and we will decide the way forward on how best we should proceed.”

https://www.newsday.co.zw/2019/06/back-to-2008-as-zimdollar-returns/

Back to 2008 as Zimdollar returns 258310255 
>>>TNTBS's YouTube Channel<<<
RamblerNash
RamblerNash
GURU HUNTER
GURU HUNTER

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum