Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
Appalled by illiteracy on this site I_icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
Appalled by illiteracy on this site I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2024 9:25 am by swizzlestick

» ZIGPLACE
Appalled by illiteracy on this site I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
Appalled by illiteracy on this site I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
Appalled by illiteracy on this site I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
Appalled by illiteracy on this site I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
Appalled by illiteracy on this site I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
Appalled by illiteracy on this site I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
Appalled by illiteracy on this site I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
Appalled by illiteracy on this site I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
Appalled by illiteracy on this site I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
Appalled by illiteracy on this site I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
Appalled by illiteracy on this site I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
Appalled by illiteracy on this site I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
Appalled by illiteracy on this site I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
Appalled by illiteracy on this site I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
Appalled by illiteracy on this site I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm by kenlej

» Dinar Daily Facebook Page
Appalled by illiteracy on this site I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 3:34 pm by Ponee

» The Fundamentals of Finance and Pimpy Live
Appalled by illiteracy on this site I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 18, 2024 7:17 am by Dinarhater

» Why Won't the Iraqi Dinar Scam Die?
Appalled by illiteracy on this site I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 17, 2024 5:19 pm by RamblerNash

Appalled by illiteracy on this site

+95
dean
ministerb
gampy
ADMIN
mrranchman
whoppertwins
tport2
LeeCountyNM
silkysand
tootles
Catherine
Esther414
FactPoster
polecat
amgroup
TNman
oxglove
dreammtripper
Silvereagle
DTConcerned
chancesare
Roketman
clayf
alohajim
raiderman
DrRod
.A Drama Queen
godsfool713
fang2
globalbiz
mauih1
mitkire
Tony Mc
Parrothead
gerriann
readysetrv
Gmansaid
raidernick
sjames1
cocacola08
shareit
Terbo56
blessed2
doghouse
asmiley
aces
Cardiac99
dinarcowboy
Reev
DinarRon
prguy575
BM
Gracie
HezekiaH
his4evr2c
Alchemist
red88lx
Just Da Truth
1alaskan
Silverado
aubrey
pgo
SOYSABINA
OKie_GEM
SEBtopdog
itpaysyou
Yolanda39
heed
openmind
Capt Ron
silverstreak
wirelessguy
KAI
PALMER01
tport
AZ41
happywelshguy
Blue Dahlia
golfanytime
dinarstar
goose11
HealthScans
Splovengates
rick152
aksafeone
bjoybrandt
councy
Huscarl1
humingbyrd
revenuerog
ZZ101
Angel7
ghosthunter
FoxyRoxy
pygmalyn
99 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Appalled by illiteracy on this site Empty Appalled by illiteracy on this site

Post by pygmalyn Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:45 pm

I, for one, am getting very sick of the horrible spelling, grammar and other forms of illiteracy on this site.

(That's S-I-T-E... not 'S-I-G-H-T' )

How do any of the Gurus or others bringing information or 'intel' expect to be credible if they can't even use proper English or spell correctly???

Example(s): "BELIEVE ME--OKIE AND MYSELF DOES NOT HAVE ALL THE ANSWERS TO ALL YOUR QUESTIONS-"

BUT THRU EXPERIENCE WE MAY BE ABLE TO HELP SOME OF YOU THAT HASN'T HAD THE OPPORTUNITY...

I realize, MODS, that it isn't your job to correct people's grammar or spelling...

But.... this is truly horrible!
pygmalyn
pygmalyn

Back to top Go down

Appalled by illiteracy on this site Empty Re: Appalled by illiteracy on this site

Post by FoxyRoxy Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:55 pm

pygmalyn, it's not just this board. It's all of them. But please bear in mind that some of the wealthiest Americans do not have good reading or writing skills. Yet, they have skills that some of the best writers do not. Our country needs entrepreneurs now more than it needs perfect punctuation, I'm afraid.

After RV, I'd like to teach free classes in adult literacy. Maybe you could, too? I'm sure many would appreciate it. Smile
FoxyRoxy
FoxyRoxy
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Appalled by illiteracy on this site Empty Re: Appalled by illiteracy on this site

Post by ghosthunter Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:57 pm

I kind of have to agree, but then I'm a teacher and these kinds of things really bug me. I'm more inclined to forgive the chat room posts because people are typing at a furious pace, I imagine. Just know you have at least one other person who's a little disturbed by the lack of awareness. Seems like the state of American education at this point, I'm sorry to say!
ghosthunter
ghosthunter
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Angel7 Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:58 pm

I suppose that you would say that to the dyslexics and learning disabled who are here, also???

Pick another battle! I have a brother who works hard, speaks well and could not spell to save ANY of our butts!!! Why?? Because he quit high school in the 9th grade... YEARS before dyslexia was a common term! There are many here who went to work early... as children or teens.. never finished school or went to college!

IF you LISTEN to the vocabulary rather than apply the red marker, you would hear WHERE this person came from THROUGH the layers of words.

Be kind! If you can't handle the imperfection of humans, I suggest you may want to join a literary site so your physical sight is not offended.
Angel7
Angel7
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by ZZ101 Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:01 pm

Pygmalyn, you've said what so many of us have thought. None of us is perfect, but some of the grammar and spelling is really bad. LOL

One of the worst is a main "Guru" on another site. His written and spoken English is like listening to fingernails scraping down a chalkboard.

"Just kidding".......... :bom:
ZZ101
ZZ101
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post by revenuerog Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:03 pm

I dont understand what yu all meen..I am a good talker and speler and i can reed thees words good

‎"If you think the cost of success is high, wait until you get the bill for failure."
~Charlie Ragus
revenuerog
revenuerog
Elite Member
Elite Member

http://www.pileof.goldfromkb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by humingbyrd Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:04 pm

revenuerog wrote:I dont understand what yu all meen..I am a good talker and speler and i can reed thees words good

Thank you for the laugh!!!!!!!! Very Happy
humingbyrd
humingbyrd
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ZZ101 Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:05 pm

Angel7 wrote:I suppose that you would say that to the dyslexics and learning disabled who are here, also???

Pick another battle! I have a brother who works hard, speaks well and could not spell to save ANY of our butts!!! Why?? Because he quit high school in the 9th grade... YEARS before dyslexia was a common term! There are many here who went to work early... as children or teens.. never finished school or went to college!

IF you LISTEN to the vocabulary rather than apply the red marker, you would hear WHERE this person came from THROUGH the layers of words.

Be kind! If you can't handle the imperfection of humans, I suggest you may want to join a literary site so your physical sight is not offended.

No one is talking about these people Angel. I too, have a family member who suffers from dyslexia. It's when it's the big "top dog" executive types, who are just too lazy to speak properly. They usually hire someone else to do their writing for them.

Besides - it's not a battle. Just a comment and we can all just laugh about it.
ZZ101
ZZ101
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Huscarl1 Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:06 pm

pygmalyn wrote:I, for one, am getting very sick of the horrible spelling, grammar and other forms of illiteracy on this site.

How do any of the Gurus or others bringing information or 'intel' expect to be credible if they can't even use proper English or spell correctly???

Example(s): "BELIEVE ME--OKIE AND MYSELF DOES NOT HAVE ALL THE ANSWERS TO ALL YOUR QUESTIONS-"

BUT THRU EXPERIENCE WE MAY BE ABLE TO HELP SOME OF YOU THAT HASN'T HAD THE OPPORTUNITY...

I realize, MODS, that it isn't your job to correct people's grammar or spelling...

Eye sea that yore upsetted bi sum real badly speling and gramactical stuffs on the sight. How ever, ewe haz also useded sum encarect stuffs two.

For example:
"I, for one,..." may be common usage, but it is redundant since "I" is always "one".

"...spell correctly???" There is never a place in proper english where using three punctuation marks belong at the end of a sentence.

"...grammar or spelling...But.... this..." You really should only use three periods to imply your pause not four, and "But" shouldn't have been capitalized.

"...proper English..." Actually it should read 'proper english' since you are referring to the language not a nationality, as in. The English speak english, and english is spoken by Americans also.

These are just a few things to consider.

Personally I'm an "englishtard". It was always my worst subject in school.

Huscarl1

Back to top Go down

Post by ZZ101 Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:06 pm

revenuerog wrote:I dont understand what yu all meen..I am a good talker and speler and i can reed thees words good

LOL You are one of thee Best! Very Happy
ZZ101
ZZ101
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Angel7 Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:06 pm

AND my son, Michael, who is a genius with puzzles, computers, engines and other things that are mechanical spells how it sounds. Why? Because he, also, is dyslexic! He wrote upsidedown and backwards... PERFECTLY!!! It took YEARS and lots of help for him to be able to write and read correctly.

IF he could hear it and memorize it? He'd slide through.

Yeah, I'm passionate on this subject. Oh, did I mention that he adopted 3 children who are ADD/ADHD???

Okay.... I'm done huffing and puffing! lololol! Please... be kind.
Angel7
Angel7
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by councy Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:09 pm

I beg to differ Foxy, you are simply providing an excuse for lazyness. That's why Microsoft created SpellCheck. Are you trying to sell the fact that most corporate professionals are illiterate ? Really ? Then they should take the time and read over their text before hitting the SEND button. I'm not speaking of simple typos, i'm talking about glaring spelling and grammatical mistakes. Most of which can easily be corrected by doing a quick "look-over". If my branch manager emailed me about an offer to invest and it contained what these posts contained, i'd run to another bank.

councy

Back to top Go down

Post by bjoybrandt Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:10 pm

So how many of you are just obsessive compulsive!!! lol I just can't type! Embarassed I just over look all the typos and grammer and get the jist of it because especially in chat I can't type fast enough to keep up without errors. You have no idea how long it took me to type this with no errors!!! :( Skipping typing class in high school wasn't one of my best choices!!

Last edited by bjoybrandt on Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

bjoybrandt

Back to top Go down

Post by humingbyrd Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:12 pm

terbo56@yahoo.com wrote:Angel7 -Thankyou for that-Here's one for these clowns to ponder- 'Sex munce ago I cud'nt spall 'Mucanik, Now I are oune!

Darn, and I always thought it was "Now i "R" oune!!!!
humingbyrd
humingbyrd
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ZZ101 Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:13 pm

terbo56@yahoo.com wrote:Angel7 -Thankyou for that-Here's one for these clowns to ponder- 'Sex munce ago I cud'nt spall 'Mucanik, Now I are oune!

LOL hahahah Took me a while, but finally figured out Mucanik. I was trying to put it into the context of the IQD, thinking you were writing Maliki ! LOL :geek:
ZZ101
ZZ101
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post by aksafeone Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:14 pm

Last I knew the bankers never even consider whether a person can read, write or do sums when a business deal is afoot. They only care about how much the bank will make on the deal. Same goes for most businessmen. All one has to do to make is deal is speak 'business" and not a soul care about spelling, writing, or punctuation. JMHO
Makes one wonder about business, does it not?
How did I do? Spelling, punctuation, etc????????? Not this lucky all the time as the computer keyboard sometimes isn't as fast as I am (brag) or is it that I don't execute the proper stroke on the key????? Sometimes these modern conveyances are the cause or the lack of understanding of how to make them express what we want. Not all the time is it human error. Mayhap the problem is proof reading before sending?
What ever the cause, please excuse us - we are mere mortals and are prone to mistakes.
aksafeone
aksafeone
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by ZZ101 Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:17 pm

Also, my spell check INSISTED that I change pygmalyn to Pygmalion LOL
ZZ101
ZZ101
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyRoxy Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:21 pm

councy wrote:I beg to differ Foxy, you are simply providing an excuse for lazyness. That's why Microsoft created SpellCheck. Are you trying to sell the fact that most corporate professionals are illiterate ? Really ? Then they should take the time and read over their text before hitting the SEND button. I'm not speaking of simple typos, i'm talking about glaring spelling and grammatical mistakes. Most of which can easily be corrected by doing a quick "look-over". If my branch manager emailed me about an offer to invest and it contained what these posts contained, i'd run to another bank.
Uh, what, exactly, are you "differing" with me on? I acknowledged that the problem exists. However, I also recognize the appalling state of our schools, which have been more interested in teaching political correctness to our children than the three R's. Have you seen the illiteracy of kids fresh out of school,? It is a HUGE topic for me, but not a topic that can be "fixed" or adequately addressed here on the boards. It is for the reformation of our school system, firing poor teachers, and once again raising the bar on the performance of our students, which has become appallingly low. Just look at our kids' scores compared to those around the world.

I just don't think this is the correct forum to pick a fight over how people read and write. We don't know people's stories.

Last edited by FoxyRoxy on Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
FoxyRoxy
FoxyRoxy
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post by revenuerog Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:22 pm

Them gals at walmart dont care if i'm a good talker either..they just tell me how much to give 'em...heck..after the rv I'ma gonna go to walmart EVERYDAY groupdance

‎"If you think the cost of success is high, wait until you get the bill for failure."
~Charlie Ragus
revenuerog
revenuerog
Elite Member
Elite Member

http://www.pileof.goldfromkb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ZZ101 Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:22 pm

aksafeone wrote:Last I knew the bankers never even consider whether a person can read, write or do sums when a business deal is afoot. They only care about how much the bank will make on the deal. Same goes for most businessmen. All one has to do to make is deal is speak 'business" and not a soul care about spelling, writing, or punctuation. JMHO
Makes one wonder about business, does it not?
How did I do? Spelling, punctuation, etc????????? Not this lucky all the time as the computer keyboard sometimes isn't as fast as I am (brag) or is it that I don't execute the proper stroke on the key????? Sometimes these modern conveyances are the cause or the lack of understanding of how to make them express what we want. Not all the time is it human error. Mayhap the problem is proof reading before sending?
What ever the cause, please excuse us - we are mere mortals and are prone to mistakes.

Right aksafeone!

These 3D Earth machines cause us Galactics - who are used to sentient computers - often feel dumb as dirt. :geek: happydance
ZZ101
ZZ101
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ghosthunter Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:23 pm

Angel7 wrote:I suppose that you would say that to the dyslexics and learning disabled who are here, also???

I do see your point, Angel7. My son's dyslexic and had to endure many years of being completely ignored by our - terrible LA schools (in which I teach - trust me it's not the teachers who are at fault - it's the district)! And to be fair, this site isn't exactly for formal essays.

Bearing all that in mind, my son, who's now a writer, and I worked extremely hard to get him the help he needed. And even though he never received his high school diploma, neither of us is concerned about that because he's very effectively taught himself. He probably knows more about world history and science than many of the students who've made it through college!

He does, however, pay attention to the little red lines that appear as he types to let him know he's misspelled a word and he makes an effort to correct and learn from his mistakes. After all, the reason we even have spelling and grammar rules is so that we can communicate effectively. It's a little annoying when you have to read something several times because the meaning has been obfuscated by poor spelling or grammar. I understand it happening on the chat lines because people are typing furiously just to get their thoughts out. I just wish that people would take a little care when they type their thoughts on the threads we write. It would make it easier for all of us.
ghosthunter
ghosthunter
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by rick152 Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:25 pm

wale xxkus al ub uz

NO ENCUMBENTS 2012 ELECTIONS FEDERAL, STATE. OR LOCAL

Last edited by rick152 on Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

Love understands, Love supports, comforts and, cares for. Love forgives. Love also honors, respects and, believes
so please;
Love each other and yourself ...rick152
rick152
rick152
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ghosthunter Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:27 pm

humingbyrd wrote:

Thank you for the laugh!!!!!!!! Very Happy

Yu is very funy, revenuerawg!

Laughing Laughing Laughing
ghosthunter
ghosthunter
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by councy Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:27 pm

I believe it is safe to say that this thread was not to insult anyone in particular, specifically anyone having learning disabilities. But for those who are NOT affected, please try to use periods, commas and check your basic spelling mistakes. Some gurus have such terrible english, that it is a waste of time to try and comprehend what they are actually saying. So, if you want to be understood and not MISUNDERSTOOD, please insure what you want to say can be understood correctly. You might even avoid starting ARGUMENTS !!!!!

BTW, Please do not refer to Jesus Christ as JC. I don't think He would appreciate it. Are we so lazy that we can't even take the time to spell His whole ( and yes .... not hole ) name correctly ?

councy

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyRoxy Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:33 pm

I mean, if you really want to get down to it, it's not just here. For many years I've been seeing and hearing more and more spelling, punctuation, and pronunciation errors in TV and radio commercials, magazines, and books. It's rampant everywhere! Anybody hear the commercial for tinnitus (pronounced "tini-tus")? They pronounce it "tin-itis" over and over, which is blatantly incorrect. There is no such word. It makes me crazy.

And how about everybody now using "is is" (twice) and "is was"? "What I'm saying is is that it also makes me CRAZY" -- lol!

One of my pet peeves is "their" and "there."

So there. I've complained. But I guess it's just that I don't feel I should complain about it till I can do something to help solve the problem.
FoxyRoxy
FoxyRoxy
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Splovengates Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:34 pm

Makes me doubt the credibility of those who consistently misspell words. Our computers usually have a little dictionary program you can use. It just takes a few extra seconds to make sure you got it 'write'

"Things are looking very favorable for today into tomorrow night. Be ready between sunday and monday night, or maybe tuesday or wednesday. Could also be thursday but definitely by friday.... probably next week, monday or late tuesday night, wednesday morning to hear the RV and should be cashing in on the following tuesday the 1st of the month. Sooner more than later. This is an education in patience. GO RV GO Splovengates/CaptJerry

:cherry:"And I saw [3 angels] fly in the midst of heaven..." Rev 14
Splovengates
Splovengates
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post by HealthScans Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:35 pm

I just don't think this is the correct forum to pick a fight over how people read and write. We don't know people's stories.

Well said Foxy Roxy!!!!

Hopefully you won't have to read this forum too much longer.

We will have an RV this week (hopefully)!

HealthScans
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by ZZ101 Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:37 pm

terbo56@yahoo.com wrote:Shouldn't need to have a diploma or degree to be on this, or any other site- People that whine about how someone spells something, especially when SOME OF US know what they mean or are saying, need to look at the problems in their own life, and maybe, just maybe Find a hobby that they JUST LOVE!!

Hey Terbo56! Look at all the fun and laughs we've had though - from this posting. lmao
ZZ101
ZZ101
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ZZ101 Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:40 pm

HealthScans wrote:I just don't think this is the correct forum to pick a fight over how people read and write. We don't know people's stories.

)!

I didn't see ANYONE picking a fight in this HealthScans. Just a few thoughts and some good laughs.

Also thrown in are reminders to be grateful for what we have and compassion for those who have had to struggle.

All in all, was a worthwhile post - IMHO. Smile
ZZ101
ZZ101
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post by goose11 Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:43 pm

why is it that some always look for something to complain about. If they are not complaining about intel, then they complain about spelling. Who cares how it is spelled....the idea here is that info is to be exchanged...not that spelling or grammar get graded.

goose11

Back to top Go down

Post by councy Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:44 pm

The reason is pure and simple lazyness ! With everyone used to texting these days, whole conversations are held in abbreviation. OMG, WTF, LOL, BFF, and now that these people have to actually type out a whole complete thought, they do not remember when to use their, there or they're in a sentence.

BTW, (lol)) i have never attended english school in my 52 years of life. I went to french school, even post secondary, but I do read books (not only computer screens).

Stop being mentally lazy! Your brain is a muscle - exercise it.

councy

Back to top Go down

Post by dinarstar Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:45 pm

sew wot?

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It's the courage to continue that counts."
Winston Churchill
(1874-1965)
hug

dinarstar
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ZZ101 Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:52 pm

councy wrote:The reason is pure and simple lazyness ! With everyone used to texting these days, whole conversations are held in abbreviation. OMG, WTF, LOL, BFF, and now that these people have to actually type out a whole complete thought, they do not remember when to use their, there or they're in a sentence.

BTW, (lol)) i have never attended english school in my 52 years of life. I went to french school, even post secondary, but I do read books (not only computer screens).

Stop being mentally lazy! Your brain is a muscle - exercise it.

I wonder how many people actually know that LOL originally meant - Little Old Lady. lmao

The question was on the program, Who wants to be a Millionaire. The contestant got the answer wrong and went back down to $1000. LOL
ZZ101
ZZ101
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyRoxy Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:55 pm

ZZ101 wrote:
HealthScans wrote:I just don't think this is the correct forum to pick a fight over how people read and write. We don't know people's stories.

)!

I didn't see ANYONE picking a fight in this HealthScans. Just a few thoughts and some good laughs.

Also thrown in are reminders to be grateful for what we have and compassion for those who have had to struggle.

All in all, was a worthwhile post - IMHO. Smile

Actually, that's my fault, and I should make a correction. I really meant "pick a bone," not a "fight." But as somebody else pointed out, most people would know what I meant. Poor choice...sorry... Smile
FoxyRoxy
FoxyRoxy
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ZZ101 Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:55 pm

Oh, oh! We forgot to complain about the ALL Capital letter posts. LOL :bball:

Last edited by ZZ101 on Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
ZZ101
ZZ101
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post by councy Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:55 pm

Wonderful titbit of info ZZ101... I will be going to bed tonight a little less stupid !! lol

councy

Back to top Go down

Post by golfanytime Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:57 pm

dinarstar wrote:sew wot?
lol that was funny!

golfanytime

Back to top Go down

Appalled by illiteracy on this site Empty English Lessons and Illiteracy

Post by Guest Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:06 pm

Interesting thoughts put forth.

How about positive injections threads of something like ... "Did You Know? " or, "Try This, Instead of That" kind of thoughts.

For instance: Even when people speak on the conference calls, I often hear Saw, when Seen needed to have been used. An example: "Yea, we even SEEN a news article just yesterday that ..." It needs to read: "Yea, we even SAW a news article ..."

Rule of thumb:

We SAW, she saw, he saw, they saw.

I have SEEN, she has seen, they have seen. Same rule when using one's name: Dale SAW, Bob and Tom SAW.

Or: Dale has SEEN, Bob and Tom have SEEN.

Not Dale "seen" or, I "seen"

I, personally, hope I keep my language in check when speaking to my Private Banker, CPA's etc, otherwise appear un-schooled, and alas, do hope I don't start mubbling, stuttering and drooling! Very Happy

Lots, and lots of free learning tools online. Just google something like Learn Basic Language Skills.

Otherwise .. you're all the best in my book!

Back to top Go down

Post by pygmalyn Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:17 pm

ZZ101: I have deliberately changed the spelling from 'Pygmalion' to 'Pygmalyn' because generally... in most places I want to use that ID... 'Pygmalion' is already taken ! (so it's deliberate - but to call it 'poetic license' would be a stretch, even I admit. )

You all have made good, valid points and they are well taken...

For me, it's a matter of respect 1) for my country, 2) for the language of my country 3) for communication in general and 4) communication to individuals specifically.

The English language is a very BASIC skill taught in grade school. My 6 year old granddaughters can use better English... and they haven't even started school yet. By the time a child reaches 4th grade they should have these basic skills down... it doesn't require a college degree...

I am also sick to death of the 'acceptability' of the dumbing down of our country.

I do understand the nature of chat rooms and such and the speed at which people are generally typing...
I, too, have difficulty with sticky keys and stopping to fix typos...

However, from what I can see... NOTHING is so terribly important to get out there on a chat room or forum that you can't take 10 seconds to make sure it's legible and punctuated...

I've seen some posts by so-called 'gurus' that don't have ANY punctuation whatsoever... sorry, in my opinion... it's just sloppy, lazy, and disrespectful ...

That's how I see it...

Not talking about people with disabilities... generally speaking...they are the minority.

Last edited by pygmalyn on Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
pygmalyn
pygmalyn

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Dahlia Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:24 pm

All I have to say to you is, I think it is a shame that you feel appalled instead of feeling compassion for those that may have a less fortunate education than you.

My cousin could not read. However, he was a very successful business man in Ponte Vedra Beach, FL and was a multimillionaire before he died.

God Bless You and may you not be so condescending in the future and have more compassion for those less literate than you.. In Jesus Name.. Amen

Blue Dahlia

Back to top Go down

Post by ZZ101 Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:33 pm

pygmalyn wrote:ZZ101: I have deliberately changed the spelling from 'Pygmalion' to 'pygmalyn' because generally... in most places I want to use that ID... 'Pygmalion' is already taken !

Ok. Didn't meant anything personal with my comment. I just found it humorous that spell check was telling me that I should change your username. LOL
ZZ101
ZZ101
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post by happywelshguy Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:37 pm

Fellow Members....

Let's not go bashing each other, over something that is so unimportant, in the big picture, of what we are waiting for.

English is "Not" everyone's first language and some folk's are still illiterate with computer technology.

Nobody can expect to come to a Forum and expect everything to be perfect.

People make mistakes and it's easy, to just ignore the mistakes.

We all have something that's far more important, to focus our attention on.

bounce

I made sure to use a Spell Checker
pygmalyn wrote:I, for one, am getting very sick of the horrible spelling, grammar and other forms of illiteracy on this site.

happywelshguy
happywelshguy
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post by AZ41 Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:39 pm

Why you are be waisting time with a post like this be.

Please watch this video. Thanks Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc_LIR5ExIU
AZ41
AZ41

Back to top Go down

Post by AZ41 Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:42 pm

I may not be studied much englash but me know better then you are doing.

Please watch Smile

Thank you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4VbOHvaPRc&feature=fvwp&NR=1
AZ41
AZ41

Back to top Go down

Post by ZZ101 Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:43 pm

happywelshguy wrote:Fellow Members....

Let's not go bashing each other, over something that is so unimportant, in the big picture, of what we are waiting for.

]

No one is bashing anyone here. If you had read all the comments before you posted, you would see that. We've had quite a few laughs actually.
ZZ101
ZZ101
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Huscarl1 Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:00 pm

dinarstar wrote:sew wot?

Or sow watt!

Huscarl1

Back to top Go down

Post by Angel7 Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:08 pm

I hope that my waist is wasting away while I'm waiting and losing weight! I will probably be buried from eating sooooooooo many berries. I mean I started at eight and I ate and ate and ate!

Our language is so funny and difficult!
Angel7
Angel7
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxyRoxy Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:15 pm

Angel7 wrote:I hope that my waist is wasting away while I'm waiting and losing weight! I will probably be buried from eating sooooooooo many berries. I mean I started at eight and I ate and ate and ate!

Our language is so funny and difficult!

lol!
FoxyRoxy
FoxyRoxy
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post by tport Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:26 pm

I knew this post was coming based on the topic of this thread! I would venture to say that revenuerog is probably one of the most learned people on this site. That is my guess.

Revenuerog, if you didn't do this post, I probably would have done one myself just to keep the humor up! ! ! ! hemademe

"There are only two things that are infinite; the universe and the stupidity of mankind, and I'm not sure of the former!"
tport
tport

Back to top Go down

Post by PALMER01 Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:40 pm

It sound to me like we need a new translation program.
one that recognizes the words go left to right. :idea:
PALMER01
PALMER01
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum