Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Phony Tony sez: Full Steam Ahead!
Patriotic Kate - God Bless America!  I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:51 am by Mission1st

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
Patriotic Kate - God Bless America!  I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am by Mission1st

» Russia aren't taking any prisoners
Patriotic Kate - God Bless America!  I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm by kenlej

» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
Patriotic Kate - God Bless America!  I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» ZIGPLACE
Patriotic Kate - God Bless America!  I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
Patriotic Kate - God Bless America!  I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
Patriotic Kate - God Bless America!  I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
Patriotic Kate - God Bless America!  I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
Patriotic Kate - God Bless America!  I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
Patriotic Kate - God Bless America!  I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
Patriotic Kate - God Bless America!  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
Patriotic Kate - God Bless America!  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
Patriotic Kate - God Bless America!  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
Patriotic Kate - God Bless America!  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
Patriotic Kate - God Bless America!  I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
Patriotic Kate - God Bless America!  I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
Patriotic Kate - God Bless America!  I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
Patriotic Kate - God Bless America!  I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
Patriotic Kate - God Bless America!  I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm by kenlej

» Dinar Daily Facebook Page
Patriotic Kate - God Bless America!  I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 3:34 pm by Ponee

Patriotic Kate - God Bless America!

2 posters

Go down

Patriotic Kate - God Bless America!  Empty Patriotic Kate - God Bless America!

Post by ADMIN Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:15 am

Posting at the request of one of our members. . . Great story!

The time was 1940. America was still in a terrible economic depression. Hitler was taking over Europe and Americans were afraid we’d have to go to war. It was a time of hardship and worry for most Americans. This was the era just before TV, when radio shows were HUGE, and American families sat around their radios in the evenings, listening to their favorite entertainers – and no entertainer of that era was bigger than Kate Smith. Kate was also large in size, and the popular phrase still used today is in deference to her, “It ain’t over till the fat lady sings.” Kate Smith might not have made it big in the age of TV, but with her voice coming over the radio, she was the biggest star of her time.

Kate was also very patriotic. It hurt her to see Americans so depressed and afraid of what the next day would bring. She had hope for America , and faith in her fellow Americans. She wanted to do something to cheer them up, so she went to the famous American song-writer, Irving Berlin (also wrote “White Christmas”) and asked him to write a song that would make Americans feel good again about their country. When she described what she was looking for, he said he had just the song for her. He went to his files and found a song that he had written, but never published, 22 years before - way back in 1917. He gave it to Kate Smith and she worked on it with her studio orchestra. She and Irving Berlin were not sure how the song would be received by the public, but both agreed they would not take any profits from “God Bless America ” – any profits would go to the Boy Scouts of America. Over the years, the Boy Scouts have received millions of dollars in royalties from this song.

This video starts out with Kate Smith coming into the radio studio with the orchestra and an audience. She introduces the new song for the very first time, and starts singing. After the first couple versus, with her voice in the background still singing, scenes are shown from the 1940 movie, “You’re In The Army Now.” At the 4:20 mark of the video you see a young actor in the movie, sitting in an office, reading a paper – it’s Ronald Reagan.
Frank Sinatra considered Kate Smith the best singer of her time, and said when he and a million other guys first heard her sing “God Bless America” on the radio, they all pretended to have “dust in their eyes” as they wiped away a tear or two. To this day, “God Bless America ” stirs our patriotic feelings and pride in our country. Back in 1940, When Kate Smith went looking for a song to raise the spirits of her fellow Americans, I doubt she realized just how successful the results would be – for her fellow Americans during those years of hardship and worry, and for many generations of Americans to follow… Now that you know the story of the song, I hope you will enjoy it and treasure it even more.

God BlessAmerica!

ADMIN
Admin
Admin

http://dinardaily@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Patriotic Kate - God Bless America!  Empty Re: Patriotic Kate - God Bless America!

Post by SEBtopdog Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:24 am

Miskebam: I'm in the radio business, but I had never heard the back story of Kate Smith's part in bringing "God Bless America" to the American people. She was the grand dame of music at the time, and we owe her a debt of gratitude. Thanks for a fascinating insight into history.

Last edited by SEBtopdog on Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:40 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add video)

Patriotic Kate - God Bless America!  Emoticon-animal-028

Keep smiling ... It'll make 'em wonder what you're up to!

Patriotic Kate - God Bless America!  Bump~0 Will someone please let the RV Widget out of the jar?
SEBtopdog
SEBtopdog
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum