Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
Kuwait-Iraq tensions still simmer over port I_icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
Kuwait-Iraq tensions still simmer over port I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2024 9:25 am by swizzlestick

» ZIGPLACE
Kuwait-Iraq tensions still simmer over port I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
Kuwait-Iraq tensions still simmer over port I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
Kuwait-Iraq tensions still simmer over port I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
Kuwait-Iraq tensions still simmer over port I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
Kuwait-Iraq tensions still simmer over port I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
Kuwait-Iraq tensions still simmer over port I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
Kuwait-Iraq tensions still simmer over port I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
Kuwait-Iraq tensions still simmer over port I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
Kuwait-Iraq tensions still simmer over port I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
Kuwait-Iraq tensions still simmer over port I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
Kuwait-Iraq tensions still simmer over port I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
Kuwait-Iraq tensions still simmer over port I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
Kuwait-Iraq tensions still simmer over port I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
Kuwait-Iraq tensions still simmer over port I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
Kuwait-Iraq tensions still simmer over port I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm by kenlej

» Dinar Daily Facebook Page
Kuwait-Iraq tensions still simmer over port I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 3:34 pm by Ponee

» The Fundamentals of Finance and Pimpy Live
Kuwait-Iraq tensions still simmer over port I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 18, 2024 7:17 am by Dinarhater

» Why Won't the Iraqi Dinar Scam Die?
Kuwait-Iraq tensions still simmer over port I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 17, 2024 5:19 pm by RamblerNash

Kuwait-Iraq tensions still simmer over port

Go down

Kuwait-Iraq tensions still simmer over port Empty Kuwait-Iraq tensions still simmer over port

Post by lexie Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:48 am

04 Oct 2011

Kuwait-Iraq tensions still simmer over port

KUWAIT: Tensions arising from the $1.1 billion Mubarak Al-Kabeer Port project appeared to intensify again this week, dampening the rapprochement that followed the visit of the Iraqi Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebari. In a renewal of opposition to the project, Iraqi MPs accused Kuwait of offering 'gifts' and bribes to senior politicians in return for their support. At the same time, Iraqi media has linked a decision to limit trade at the Safwan-Abdali crossing with the political controversy surrounding the port.

There has been growing opposition inside Iraq to the Mubarak project since work began there in mid -May, prompted by fears that it will eclipse their own $6 billion port, planned to be built on the nearby Faw peninsula. Both projects aim to become major regional hubs, able to compete with the Suez Canal as the point of transit for Asian-European trade.

In June, official opposition to the project took a dangerous turn when the Iraqi wing of Hezbollah threatened to target both Kuwait and the port unless work ceased. Following this, on Aug 26, three Katyusha missiles were fired at Boubyan Island, where the port is being built.

Tensions eased after Zebari, commenting on the favorable findings of a team of technical experts, told AP that the port "won't affect our navigation...and our fears have been removed." It was reported that the team had negotiated a reduction in projected capacity at the port and that all sides were satisfied that international law was being observed. Following this, the GCC affirmed its support for the construction of the port.

The dispute was reignited this week, however, after Iraqi MPs accused Kuwait of giving cash and 'gifts' to Iraqi politicians in return for their support of project, prompting a denial by Mohammad Al-Busairi, Minister of Oil, Minister of State for National Assembly Affairs and Acting Minister of State for Cabinet Affairs. One Iraqi MP, Alia Nassif, a prominent critic of the Mubarak port, went so far as to accuse Kuwaiti intelligence officials of involvement in an assassination attempt on her husband.

More serious than the escalation in rhetoric, however, are the severe restrictions recently imposed by Iraq on cross-border trade, which pose a serious threat to bilateral relations, according to the Abdul Rahim Al-Rifai, Head of the Iraqi-Kuwaiti Relations Council. Iraq has reportedly reduced the amount of trucks permitted to cross the border each day from 2,000 to 60, while raising the fees due per truck by almost $80.

Kuwait Times was unable to confirm this decision with Iraqi officials in Basra, but while customs brokers at the border claimed the decision had been cancelled, commercial interests inside Iraq confirmed it, adding that the steps were protested by the Basran business community. A source familiar with cross-border trade, contacted by Kuwait Times, also complained of undue delays in obtaining the visas required by truckers to enter Iraq.

Officials on both sides were quick to deny any connection between the decision and the Mubarak project, with Iraq's ruling party, the State of Law Coalition insisting that it was a "technical undertaking related to tax law, that had previously been applied to both Syria and Jordan" which has "no relation whatsoever with the political differences between the two countries or with the issue of the Mubarak Port.

However, a businessman who regularly uses the Safwan crossing told Kuwait Times that the decision will lead to "higher costs for Iraqis for the goods they import...it is not in Iraq's interests," adding, "it doesn't make sense." Indeed, this argument is lent credence by the opposition the decision has faced from Iraqi traders. "This is not likely a Cabinet or high-level decision," the businessman added, which, if the case, invites speculation as to how long it will last.

http://www.zawya.com/story.cfm/sidZAWYA20111004052002/KuwaitIraq_tensions_still_simmer_over_port

"WHEN THE POWER OF LOVE OVERCOMES THE LOVE OF POWER, THE WORLD WILL KNOW PEACE"
lexie
lexie
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum