Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Phony Tony sez: Full Steam Ahead!
Iranian imports overtake local produce in Iraq's Basra I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:51 am by Mission1st

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
Iranian imports overtake local produce in Iraq's Basra I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am by Mission1st

» Russia aren't taking any prisoners
Iranian imports overtake local produce in Iraq's Basra I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm by kenlej

» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
Iranian imports overtake local produce in Iraq's Basra I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» ZIGPLACE
Iranian imports overtake local produce in Iraq's Basra I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
Iranian imports overtake local produce in Iraq's Basra I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
Iranian imports overtake local produce in Iraq's Basra I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
Iranian imports overtake local produce in Iraq's Basra I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
Iranian imports overtake local produce in Iraq's Basra I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
Iranian imports overtake local produce in Iraq's Basra I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
Iranian imports overtake local produce in Iraq's Basra I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
Iranian imports overtake local produce in Iraq's Basra I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
Iranian imports overtake local produce in Iraq's Basra I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
Iranian imports overtake local produce in Iraq's Basra I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
Iranian imports overtake local produce in Iraq's Basra I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
Iranian imports overtake local produce in Iraq's Basra I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
Iranian imports overtake local produce in Iraq's Basra I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
Iranian imports overtake local produce in Iraq's Basra I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
Iranian imports overtake local produce in Iraq's Basra I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm by kenlej

» Dinar Daily Facebook Page
Iranian imports overtake local produce in Iraq's Basra I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 3:34 pm by Ponee

Iranian imports overtake local produce in Iraq's Basra

Go down

Iranian imports overtake local produce in Iraq's Basra Empty Iranian imports overtake local produce in Iraq's Basra

Post by GirlBye Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:33 am

Iranian imports overtake local produce in Iraq's Basra 479

In the crowded alleys of Basra's central market, vegetable seller Abu Mustafa emotionally recalls being able to get his produce from Iraqi farmers in the 1970's. But today, nearly 80 percent of the vegetables at his stall are imported from Iran.
"Iraqi tomatoes? Only in your dreams!" says his colleague, Ali Nibras, mockingly. 
Most Iraqi families interviewed by The New Arab in Basra believe that the vegetables cultivated locally are fresher than those imported. 

Strolling around, Mohammed Mahmoud looks for potatoes with the 'Made in Iraq' label to use for dinner tonight. 

"It is expensive, but I will still buy Iraqi produce because it tastes a lot better," he says. 

On the day The New Arab visited Basra's central market, one kilogramme of Iranian tomatoes were being offered at $0.40 per kilogramme, versus $1.20 for the Iraqi ones. Local sources, however, point out that prices vary day to day, depending on the volume made available to Iraqi traders by Iranian farmers.

"I always feel disappointed to see Iraqi products replaced by imports," says Mahmoud's friend, calling for the market to be revitalised with local foods. 

However, importers claim that cheap food offers consumers more purchasing power. Left with no choice, countless low-income families have resigned to buying imported food products. 

"What other options do I have?" asks 34-year-old father Haidar Ali who is out doing his weekly shop. 

Iranian imports overtake local produce in Iraq's Basra 5b70d90a-386e-4bc5-ac7b-8c057a6ba02d
Basra is an Iraqi city located on the Shatt al-Arab between Kuwait and Iran
Large-scale imports
According to Naeem Sabah, dean of the Department of Economy at the University of Basra, the large-scale imports of food products from neighbouring countries, mainly Iran, have led to the collapse of the economy in the city. 

"Iraqi farmers can't compete with foreign goods that enter Iraq every day," he tells The New Arab. 

Following the 2003 US-led invasion of Iraq, the country became largely dependent on food imports.

"Basra became a consumer city. More than 90 percent of our goods are imported, mostly from Iran," says Sabah.

According to the Regional Food Security Analysis Network, agricultural production dropped by another 40 percent after the invasion of the Islamic State group in 2014, making the situation even worse. 

The Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) forecasts that Iraq will be dependent on imports to meet its domestic food demand for many years to come.

Iranian imports overtake local produce in Iraq's Basra 9350cdc7-fac8-4a03-90d1-534e59545a7f
Iraqi customers at a fruit and vegetable market in central Basra [Sebastian Castelier and Azhar Al-Rubaie]
A local businessman had attempted to launch a dairy factory in Basra in 2012, but food traders and local politicians blocked the project, worried it would affect the Iran-Iraq cross-border business.
"Several Iraqi politicians have direct interests with neighbouring countries to the extent that it negatively affects the local economy," Sabah revealed. 

Large-scale protests erupted throughout the summer denouncing the lack of access to basic services such as clean water and electricity.

"Iraqi officials sold the country to Iran, and local farming is now over," protesters shouted. 

Crumbling agriculture sector
Beyond the prevalence of imported foods on the shelves of Basra's markets, an agricultural sector on the brink of collapse is the other half of the overall issue.

Alaa Al Badran, a Basra-based private Agricultural Consultant, believes that Iraqi farmers can't meet the local needs and dominate Basra's shop shelves.

The United States Agency for International Development (USAID) reported that Iraq's agriculture sector had declined considerably during the last few decades due to the lack of investment, isolation from the global economy and counterproductive agricultural policies.
Once a water-rich country, Iraq now faces its worst water crisis since 1931. Water levels in major rivers have been reduced by 40 percent, rainfall halved and soil salinity has increased dramatically. 

A United Nations' Environment Programme report states that Iraq loses 250 square kilometres of arable land every year.

Iranian imports overtake local produce in Iraq's Basra 8554a4e0-a8fe-4996-9367-281661773e12
Lemons being sold in a a food market in central Basra [Sebastian Castelier and Azhar Al-Rubaie]
"Neither the farmers nor the government have sufficient financial resources to invest in new technologies and develop efficient irrigation methods," Iraqi Minister of Water Resources Hassan Al-Janabi told The New Arab in July 2018.
In the alleys of Basra's vegetable market, Salim, 30, a seller, believes that the government should support farmers with funds, seeds, and modern water systems. 

"They fight corruption and forget to care about agriculture," he says.

Majid Mozan, Head of the Basra Chamber of Commerce, says that support for local production has been long expected. 

"Before 2003, our food was produced in Iraq, so solutions to support the national agriculture do exist," Mozan tells The New Arab.

However, for now, locals like Mohammed Mahmoud will just have to make do with the current situation. 

After roaming around dozens of food stalls, Mahmoud has found his Iraqi potatoes. Despite paying double the price for them, he is still all smiles. 

"I'm heading back home," he says. "My wife will be pleased with the purchase."

https://www.alaraby.co.uk/english/indepth/2018/11/15/iranian-imports-overtake-local-produce-in-iraqs-basra
GirlBye
GirlBye
VIP NewsHound
VIP NewsHound

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum