Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
U.S. RETURNS ANTIQUE CHESS SET OWNED BY SADDAM HUSSEIN, STOLEN DURING 2003 INVASION I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
U.S. RETURNS ANTIQUE CHESS SET OWNED BY SADDAM HUSSEIN, STOLEN DURING 2003 INVASION I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2024 9:25 am by swizzlestick

» ZIGPLACE
U.S. RETURNS ANTIQUE CHESS SET OWNED BY SADDAM HUSSEIN, STOLEN DURING 2003 INVASION I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
U.S. RETURNS ANTIQUE CHESS SET OWNED BY SADDAM HUSSEIN, STOLEN DURING 2003 INVASION I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
U.S. RETURNS ANTIQUE CHESS SET OWNED BY SADDAM HUSSEIN, STOLEN DURING 2003 INVASION I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
U.S. RETURNS ANTIQUE CHESS SET OWNED BY SADDAM HUSSEIN, STOLEN DURING 2003 INVASION I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
U.S. RETURNS ANTIQUE CHESS SET OWNED BY SADDAM HUSSEIN, STOLEN DURING 2003 INVASION I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
U.S. RETURNS ANTIQUE CHESS SET OWNED BY SADDAM HUSSEIN, STOLEN DURING 2003 INVASION I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
U.S. RETURNS ANTIQUE CHESS SET OWNED BY SADDAM HUSSEIN, STOLEN DURING 2003 INVASION I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
U.S. RETURNS ANTIQUE CHESS SET OWNED BY SADDAM HUSSEIN, STOLEN DURING 2003 INVASION I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
U.S. RETURNS ANTIQUE CHESS SET OWNED BY SADDAM HUSSEIN, STOLEN DURING 2003 INVASION I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
U.S. RETURNS ANTIQUE CHESS SET OWNED BY SADDAM HUSSEIN, STOLEN DURING 2003 INVASION I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
U.S. RETURNS ANTIQUE CHESS SET OWNED BY SADDAM HUSSEIN, STOLEN DURING 2003 INVASION I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
U.S. RETURNS ANTIQUE CHESS SET OWNED BY SADDAM HUSSEIN, STOLEN DURING 2003 INVASION I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
U.S. RETURNS ANTIQUE CHESS SET OWNED BY SADDAM HUSSEIN, STOLEN DURING 2003 INVASION I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
U.S. RETURNS ANTIQUE CHESS SET OWNED BY SADDAM HUSSEIN, STOLEN DURING 2003 INVASION I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
U.S. RETURNS ANTIQUE CHESS SET OWNED BY SADDAM HUSSEIN, STOLEN DURING 2003 INVASION I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm by kenlej

» Dinar Daily Facebook Page
U.S. RETURNS ANTIQUE CHESS SET OWNED BY SADDAM HUSSEIN, STOLEN DURING 2003 INVASION I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 3:34 pm by Ponee

» The Fundamentals of Finance and Pimpy Live
U.S. RETURNS ANTIQUE CHESS SET OWNED BY SADDAM HUSSEIN, STOLEN DURING 2003 INVASION I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 18, 2024 7:17 am by Dinarhater

» Why Won't the Iraqi Dinar Scam Die?
U.S. RETURNS ANTIQUE CHESS SET OWNED BY SADDAM HUSSEIN, STOLEN DURING 2003 INVASION I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 17, 2024 5:19 pm by RamblerNash

U.S. RETURNS ANTIQUE CHESS SET OWNED BY SADDAM HUSSEIN, STOLEN DURING 2003 INVASION

Go down

U.S. RETURNS ANTIQUE CHESS SET OWNED BY SADDAM HUSSEIN, STOLEN DURING 2003 INVASION Empty U.S. RETURNS ANTIQUE CHESS SET OWNED BY SADDAM HUSSEIN, STOLEN DURING 2003 INVASION

Post by Ponee Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:56 pm

U.S. RETURNS ANTIQUE CHESS SET OWNED BY SADDAM HUSSEIN, STOLEN DURING 2003 INVASION 2_5_orig
U.S. RETURNS ANTIQUE CHESS SET OWNED BY SADDAM HUSSEIN, STOLEN DURING 2003 INVASION 3_3_orig

U.S. RETURNS ANTIQUE CHESS SET OWNED BY SADDAM HUSSEIN, STOLEN DURING 2003 INVASION 4_2_orig
U.S. RETURNS ANTIQUE CHESS SET OWNED BY SADDAM HUSSEIN, STOLEN DURING 2003 INVASION 5_1_orig

The United States Embassy in Iraq shared the news on social media, saying the chess set had been returned to Iraqi officials in Baghdad Saturday.

“A stolen Iraqi artifact was returned to the Government of Iraq, yesterday. U.S. Embassy [officials] met with the Deputy Minister of Culture for Antiquities and Heritage Affairs Qais Rasheed to return an antique chess set, owned by Saddam Hussein, stolen in 2003 and recovered by the FBI,” a statement from the U.S. mission in Iraq read.
“The U.S. is committed to helping return stolen Iraqi artifacts,” it added.

The embassy shared a number of pictures of the chess set, and while the FBI has confirmed the antique was stolen in 2003, the circumstances surrounding the theft, and how the U.S came to be in possession of the artefact, are unclear.

Hussein was a known chess enthusiast. According to the Observer, the former Iraqi leader had hoped to hold the 1996 World Chess Federation championships in Baghdad and was described by the chess-loving president of  the Russian republic of Kalmykia, Kirsan Ilyumzhinov, as a man who supported chess and understood its value.
Hussein was captured by U.S. forces on December 13 2003 in a military operation in the town of ad-Dawr near Tikrit, his home town. The capture came nine months after the toppling of Hussein and his Baath party. The Iraqi strongman was executed three years later for crimes against humanity.

In 2003, in the wake of the invasion, the International Council of Museums  issued an emergency warning on the smuggling of artifacts out of the country. In the first year of the invasion, the Iraqi Museum in Basghd was looted, with thousands of antiquities stolen. Over a period of between 36-48 hours, over 13,000 objects were stolen from the national museum.

After U.S. forces handed over Saddam’s palaces to Iraqi officials, media reports at the time described everything as being stole apart from the walls, allegedly by Iraqi security officials and locals.

Years after the invasion, auction houses in the U.S. have reported a rise in Saddam-era artifacts being sold, with swords and other items turning up for sale. They have been traced back to U.S. government employees and contractors who took them as souvenirs or war trophies, the TRIBUNE WIRE  reported.

In the tumultuous years since the invasion of Iraq, the smuggling of the country’s ancient artifacts abroad has become a multimillion dollar industry. The Islamic State militant group (ISIS) makes as much as $100 million annually by trafficking looted antiquities out of Iraq and Syria and selling them on the black market.

In July, Oklahoma City-based retail company Hobby Lobby was fined $3 million over its illegal purchase of artifacts believed to have been stolen in 2010 and smuggled from Iraq. “In December 2010, Hobby Lobby executed an agreement to purchase over 5,500 artifacts, comprised of cuneiform tablets and bricks, clay bullae and cylinder seals, for $1.6 million,” the Department of Justice said in a statement at the time. “The acquisition of the artifacts was fraught with red flags.”

http://www.newsweek.com/united-states-returns-antique-chess-set-owned-saddam-hussein-stolen-during-659122

Ponee
Ponee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum