Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» I am too pretty for math, but....
 What is the exact time of the Harvest Moon in 2011?  September 12th !! I_icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:56 pm by Mission1st

» Interesting article
 What is the exact time of the Harvest Moon in 2011?  September 12th !! I_icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:34 pm by Mission1st

» Phony Tony: New Platform, same old song and dance
 What is the exact time of the Harvest Moon in 2011?  September 12th !! I_icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:32 pm by Mission1st

» The Craziness of Scam by "Tony TNT Renfrow" and the Iraqi Dinar Currency Scam
 What is the exact time of the Harvest Moon in 2011?  September 12th !! I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2024 12:26 pm by Mission1st

» Even conspiratorial currency speculators aren’t buying a Russian ruble revalue - It’s not the next the Iraqi dinar
 What is the exact time of the Harvest Moon in 2011?  September 12th !! I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2024 1:04 pm by RamblerNash

» Go Russia
 What is the exact time of the Harvest Moon in 2011?  September 12th !! I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2024 5:20 am by Dorotnas

» The Fundamentals of Finance and Pimpy Live
 What is the exact time of the Harvest Moon in 2011?  September 12th !! I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 07, 2024 5:02 pm by Dorotnas

» Carnival Rides
 What is the exact time of the Harvest Moon in 2011?  September 12th !! I_icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2024 5:03 pm by kenlej

» Go Russia
 What is the exact time of the Harvest Moon in 2011?  September 12th !! I_icon_minitimeSun May 05, 2024 10:51 am by kenlej

» Textbook Tony
 What is the exact time of the Harvest Moon in 2011?  September 12th !! I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2024 4:13 pm by Mission1st

» The Rockefellers and the controllers are freaking out right about now
 What is the exact time of the Harvest Moon in 2011?  September 12th !! I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2024 11:16 am by kenlej

» Phony Tony sez: Full Steam Ahead!
 What is the exact time of the Harvest Moon in 2011?  September 12th !! I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:51 am by Mission1st

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
 What is the exact time of the Harvest Moon in 2011?  September 12th !! I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am by Mission1st

» Russia aren't taking any prisoners
 What is the exact time of the Harvest Moon in 2011?  September 12th !! I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm by kenlej

» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
 What is the exact time of the Harvest Moon in 2011?  September 12th !! I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» ZIGPLACE
 What is the exact time of the Harvest Moon in 2011?  September 12th !! I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
 What is the exact time of the Harvest Moon in 2011?  September 12th !! I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
 What is the exact time of the Harvest Moon in 2011?  September 12th !! I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
 What is the exact time of the Harvest Moon in 2011?  September 12th !! I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
 What is the exact time of the Harvest Moon in 2011?  September 12th !! I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

What is the exact time of the Harvest Moon in 2011? September 12th !!

3 posters

Go down

What is the exact time of the Harvest Moon in 2011?  September 12th !! Empty What is the exact time of the Harvest Moon in 2011? September 12th !!

Post by lexie Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:03 pm

When will we see the Harvest Moon in 2011?

And the answer is … tonight! Over the years, we’ve seen lots of informal uses of the term Harvest Moon. Some people will call all the full moons of autumn by that name. And so they should. In autumn, the time of moonrise is close to the time of sunset for several evenings in a row, around the time of full moon. It’s as if there are several full moons during each autumn month.

So for example the moon you might have seen last night (September 10) looked very full and round in the sky. Did you call it a full moon? Did someone say it was the Harvest Moon? It probably looked like one!

Astronomers are scientists, though, and it’s no surprise that, to them, the term “full moon” or the name “Harvest Moon” means something very specific. To astronomers, the Harvest Moon is the full moon closest to the September equinox.

In 2011, this equinox takes place on September 23. The closest full moon to the autumn equinox reaches the crest of its full phase on September 12 at 9:27 Universal Time. That means the moon turns exactly full for us in the continental U.S. in the wee hours before sunrise tomorrow, on Monday, September 12. By U.S. clocks, that’s 5:27 a.m. Eastern Daylight Time, 4:27 a.m. Central Daylight Time, 3:27 a.m. Mountain Daylight Time or 2:27 a.m. Pacific Daylight Time.

Astronomers are scientists, though, and it’s no surprise that, to them, the term “full moon” or the name “Harvest Moon” means something very specific. To astronomers, the Harvest Moon is the full moon closest to the September equinox.

In 2011, this equinox takes place on September 23. The closest full moon to the autumn equinox reaches the crest of its full phase on September 12 at 9:27 Universal Time. That means the moon turns exactly full for us in the continental U.S. in the wee hours before sunrise tomorrow, on Monday, September 12. By U.S. clocks, that’s 5:27 a.m. Eastern Daylight Time, 4:27 a.m. Central Daylight Time, 3:27 a.m. Mountain Daylight Time or 2:27 a.m. Pacific Daylight Time.

No matter where you live worldwide, however, you’ll see a full-looking moon shining from dusk until dawn tonight. It’ll rise in the east around sunset, climb highest up around midnight and will set in the west around sunrise. At the vicinity of full moon, the moon – as always – stays out all night long. Is tonight’s moon the Harvest Moon. Sure!

Why are the full moons so special in autumn? Around the time of the autumn equinox, the ecliptic – or the path of the sun, moon, and planets – makes a narrow angle with the horizon at sunset and early evening.

Moonrise over Smoke Lake, Algonquin Park, Ontario, Huntsville Canada, from EarthSky Facebook friend Adam Falardeau.
Every full moon rises around the time of sunset, and on average each successive moonrise comes about 50 minutes later daily. But, on September and October evenings – because of the narrow angle of the ecliptic to the horizon – the moon rises much sooner than the average. So, instead of rising 50 minutes later in the days after full moon, the waning moon might rise only 30 minutes later, or less, for several days in a row (at mid-northern latitudes). At far northern latitudes – like at Fairbanks, Alaska – the moon actually rises at nearly the same time for days on end.

That fact was important to people in earlier times. For farmers bringing in the harvest, before the days of tractor lights, it meant there was no long period of darkness between sunset and moonrise for several days after full moon. And that meant farmers could work on in the fields, bringing in the crops by moonlight. Hence the name Harvest Moon.

At our mid-northern latitudes, watch for the Harvest Moon to shine from dusk until dawn for the next few to several days, starting tonight. Enjoy the 2011 Harvest Moon!

http://earthsky.org/tonight/what-is-a-harvest-moon

Last edited by lexie on Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:55 am; edited 1 time in total
lexie
lexie
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

What is the exact time of the Harvest Moon in 2011?  September 12th !! Empty Re: What is the exact time of the Harvest Moon in 2011? September 12th !!

Post by justpassntime Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:37 am

Link below shows dates and times for all full moons for 2011 and 2012

http://www.farmersalmanac.com/full-moon-dates-and-times/

Anything worth having is worth waiting for. Wink
If you can't laugh at yourself, you probably see no humor in anything. 🤡
Things you should never talk about on OOM, they will surely start an argument, religion, politics and the rv. Rolling Eyes

Currency Revaluation Awareness Propaganda Analyst :study:

What is the exact time of the Harvest Moon in 2011?  September 12th !! Flag-212 What is the exact time of the Harvest Moon in 2011?  September 12th !! Screen53
Army---Navy----Air Force-----Marines---Coast Guard
justpassntime
justpassntime
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

What is the exact time of the Harvest Moon in 2011?  September 12th !! Empty Re: What is the exact time of the Harvest Moon in 2011? September 12th !!

Post by konacoffeegal Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:43 am

And what a beautiful Harvest Moon it is tonight! The song Harvest Moon kept coming to mind but I can't remember what male singer sang it... sometime in the 70's/80's??
konacoffeegal
konacoffeegal
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Post by konacoffeegal Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:45 am

Oh, I've got stars now with my name ⭐
konacoffeegal
konacoffeegal
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum