Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
Why haven’t we done the serious thinking we need to do about our recent wars?  ED-OP I_icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
Why haven’t we done the serious thinking we need to do about our recent wars?  ED-OP I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2024 9:25 am by swizzlestick

» ZIGPLACE
Why haven’t we done the serious thinking we need to do about our recent wars?  ED-OP I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
Why haven’t we done the serious thinking we need to do about our recent wars?  ED-OP I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
Why haven’t we done the serious thinking we need to do about our recent wars?  ED-OP I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
Why haven’t we done the serious thinking we need to do about our recent wars?  ED-OP I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
Why haven’t we done the serious thinking we need to do about our recent wars?  ED-OP I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
Why haven’t we done the serious thinking we need to do about our recent wars?  ED-OP I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
Why haven’t we done the serious thinking we need to do about our recent wars?  ED-OP I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
Why haven’t we done the serious thinking we need to do about our recent wars?  ED-OP I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
Why haven’t we done the serious thinking we need to do about our recent wars?  ED-OP I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
Why haven’t we done the serious thinking we need to do about our recent wars?  ED-OP I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
Why haven’t we done the serious thinking we need to do about our recent wars?  ED-OP I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
Why haven’t we done the serious thinking we need to do about our recent wars?  ED-OP I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
Why haven’t we done the serious thinking we need to do about our recent wars?  ED-OP I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
Why haven’t we done the serious thinking we need to do about our recent wars?  ED-OP I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
Why haven’t we done the serious thinking we need to do about our recent wars?  ED-OP I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm by kenlej

» Dinar Daily Facebook Page
Why haven’t we done the serious thinking we need to do about our recent wars?  ED-OP I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 3:34 pm by Ponee

» The Fundamentals of Finance and Pimpy Live
Why haven’t we done the serious thinking we need to do about our recent wars?  ED-OP I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 18, 2024 7:17 am by Dinarhater

» Why Won't the Iraqi Dinar Scam Die?
Why haven’t we done the serious thinking we need to do about our recent wars?  ED-OP I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 17, 2024 5:19 pm by RamblerNash

Why haven’t we done the serious thinking we need to do about our recent wars? ED-OP

2 posters

Go down

Why haven’t we done the serious thinking we need to do about our recent wars?  ED-OP Empty Why haven’t we done the serious thinking we need to do about our recent wars? ED-OP

Post by Ponee Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:09 am

Why haven’t we done the serious thinking we need to do about our recent wars?  ED-OP 502255276_49925090d6_o

By Bing West

Best Defense guest respondent

A recent article in Parameters is zipping around the Internet. The issue is whether Army officers have sufficient intellectual/educational training to conduct skillful operational campaigns. To determine the answer, the Army and Marines should begin by conducting a dispassionate analysis of the Iraq and Afghanistan campaigns over the past decade. Both campaigns were miserable failures.

The Army/Marine doctrine for both campaigns stated, “Soldiers and Marines are nation-builders.” The campaign intent was to persuade the people to support their governments rather than insurgents or militias. In neither country was there a culture with the values and roots to engender democracy. Today, Iraq is a broken nation with a Shiite government in Iran’s orbit. In Afghanistan, the Taliban have reclaimed huge chunks of the countryside. Since 2001, more than two dozen three and four star American generals have rotated through those two countries. All claimed progress; none challenged a counterinsurgency doctrine that was a fantasy. After Vietnam, we vowed no more sanctuaries; yet Syria and Pakistan provided vast sanctuaries. We permitted ‘elected’ host nation officials whom we knew to be serpentine to select and promote the officers in their armed forces. In Iraq, we paid the Sunnis to come over to our side — the American side — then we abandoned them. In Afghanistan, we never made serious inroads among the fractious, insular Pashtun tribes submissive to the Taliban zealotry.
After Vietnam, the services never analyzed their grievous errors — putting aside the terrible political decisions. Instead, the services shifted to an entirely different type of war — maneuver campaigns against Soviet armor. Today, we face another decade of the same type of war we have failed to fight adequately for the past 15 years. We can’t run away to another battlefield on another continent. but how can we do better, if we refuse to analyze why we have done so poorly?

Bing West, a former assistant secretary of defense and combat Marine, has written six books about the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

http://foreignpolicy.com/2016/01/06/why-havent-we-done-the-serious-thinking-we-need-to-do-about-our-recent-wars/

Ponee
Ponee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Why haven’t we done the serious thinking we need to do about our recent wars?  ED-OP Empty Re: Why haven’t we done the serious thinking we need to do about our recent wars? ED-OP

Post by Kevind53 Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:36 am

I disagree with a basic premise. The "sanctuaries" were not a military decision. Not in Vietnam, Nor in Afghanistan or Iraq. That is to say the services and their leaders did not make the decision, but rather it was a political decision, made by Congress, the White House, and State Department. The decisions to go to war, the decisions of who to put in charge, and decisions to pull out were all political decisions, for the most part made by career bureaucrats and ivory tower types such as the author of this article. The very ones now trying to blame the military for their failures.

Trust but Verify --- R Reagan Suspect

"Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you."1 Thessalonians 5:14–18

Why haven’t we done the serious thinking we need to do about our recent wars?  ED-OP 2805820865  Why haven’t we done the serious thinking we need to do about our recent wars?  ED-OP 2805820865  Why haven’t we done the serious thinking we need to do about our recent wars?  ED-OP 2805820865  Why haven’t we done the serious thinking we need to do about our recent wars?  ED-OP 2805820865
Kevind53
Kevind53
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum