Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Phony Tony sez: Full Steam Ahead!
‘The White Donkey,’ a graphic novel of the Iraq War by a Marine who fought in it I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:51 am by Mission1st

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
‘The White Donkey,’ a graphic novel of the Iraq War by a Marine who fought in it I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am by Mission1st

» Russia aren't taking any prisoners
‘The White Donkey,’ a graphic novel of the Iraq War by a Marine who fought in it I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm by kenlej

» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
‘The White Donkey,’ a graphic novel of the Iraq War by a Marine who fought in it I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» ZIGPLACE
‘The White Donkey,’ a graphic novel of the Iraq War by a Marine who fought in it I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
‘The White Donkey,’ a graphic novel of the Iraq War by a Marine who fought in it I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
‘The White Donkey,’ a graphic novel of the Iraq War by a Marine who fought in it I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
‘The White Donkey,’ a graphic novel of the Iraq War by a Marine who fought in it I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
‘The White Donkey,’ a graphic novel of the Iraq War by a Marine who fought in it I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
‘The White Donkey,’ a graphic novel of the Iraq War by a Marine who fought in it I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
‘The White Donkey,’ a graphic novel of the Iraq War by a Marine who fought in it I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
‘The White Donkey,’ a graphic novel of the Iraq War by a Marine who fought in it I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
‘The White Donkey,’ a graphic novel of the Iraq War by a Marine who fought in it I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
‘The White Donkey,’ a graphic novel of the Iraq War by a Marine who fought in it I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
‘The White Donkey,’ a graphic novel of the Iraq War by a Marine who fought in it I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
‘The White Donkey,’ a graphic novel of the Iraq War by a Marine who fought in it I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
‘The White Donkey,’ a graphic novel of the Iraq War by a Marine who fought in it I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
‘The White Donkey,’ a graphic novel of the Iraq War by a Marine who fought in it I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
‘The White Donkey,’ a graphic novel of the Iraq War by a Marine who fought in it I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm by kenlej

» Dinar Daily Facebook Page
‘The White Donkey,’ a graphic novel of the Iraq War by a Marine who fought in it I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 3:34 pm by Ponee

‘The White Donkey,’ a graphic novel of the Iraq War by a Marine who fought in it

Go down

‘The White Donkey,’ a graphic novel of the Iraq War by a Marine who fought in it Empty ‘The White Donkey,’ a graphic novel of the Iraq War by a Marine who fought in it

Post by Ponee Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:11 pm

‘The White Donkey,’ a graphic novel of the Iraq War by a Marine who fought in it Screen-Shot-2015-12-14-at-12.09.01-AM
The main characters of “The White Donkey,” Garcia and Abe. (Courtesy Maximillian Uriarte)

Every veteran of the forever war, the long war, the Global War on Terror or Whatever You Want to Call It, has a day (or many days) they’d rather not remember. Days they’d like to keep in the back of their mind, under lock and key and submerged in a handle of whiskey.

We articulate those days differently. Some talk. Others never will. Some write novels and memoirs. Others Tweet and Tumblr. But Iraq veteran Maximillian Uriarte — creator of the Marine Corps famous “Terminal Lance” comic strips — turned his forgotten days and his war into a 250-page graphic novel and called it “The White Donkey.”

The byproduct of five years and a successful Kickstarter campaign, “The White Donkey” is both accessible for non-military types and a fitting tribute to the Americans that have fought in the wars that followed Sept. 11, 2001.

For the uninitiated, “Terminal Lance” began in 2010 as a weekly strip that followed two Marines — Garcia and Abe — on some of their offbeat adventures within the Marine Corps infantry. The strip, which appeared on his own website, appealed to Marines because it was written and drawn by one of them (Uriarte is an infantryman with two Iraq deployments under his belt) and managed to capture the masochistic humor of the USMC right down to the port-o-john art.

While “The White Donkey” has its fair share of humor, it is really a story about the war Hollywood chose to ignore. There are no firefights in frames of violent color, and no special operators rappelling from helicopters. Instead one of the most compelling scenes is when the book’s main character, Abe, is filling out a post-deployment health assessment. The familiar questions with the familiar bubble answers re-purposed to tell a narrative that many veterans might see as their own.

‘The White Donkey,’ a graphic novel of the Iraq War by a Marine who fought in it Screen-Shot-2015-12-13-at-11.36.03-PM
A scene from “The White Donkey” (Courtesy Maximillian Uriarte)

The book is drawn in hues of blue and tan, giving the palate the feel of a scrap book while also helping the reader place themselves in the narrative. Sepia is for Iraq, green is for the United States, while blue and black are reserved for flashbacks and the segments that take place while Abe is on leave in Oregon. Meanwhile the plot revolves around the tedious months before deployment, the peculiar absurdity of a war zone, and the uncomfortable conversations when you come back from it all.

Uriarte tackles a lot in the pages of “The White Donkey,” from love (“Do we have to put a label on it?”) to mental health. In the book’s afterword he explicitly says how he wanted “The White Donkey” to show what might drive a veteran to suicide, and it’s something he does evenhandedly by relying on sound character development while managing to flesh out many of the tropes commonly associated with Post Traumatic Stress (something that many Americans/family members/caregivers could glean much from).
Visually, the most compelling scenes come at the end of the book, but it is how Uriarte conveys the tedium of 2007-2008 Iraq that anchors the novel in reality. Rigid frames give way to wide angled pictures that capture the chaos of snap vehicle check points and the tedium of resupply convoys. Meanwhile, in the background of his deployment, Abe wrestles with his coming of age under the weight of his body armor, 130 degree Iraqi heat and his own misguided reasons for joining the Corps. It’s not a glorious existence, and Uriarte uses Abe’s constant complaining and ambivalence to frequently underscore how ridiculous the war is.

In many ways, “The White Donkey” is one long illustrated deployment journal. Pages filled with offloading water bottles and staring out into the desert and waiting for that plane ride home. Yet, tucked into the panels and frames, are those singular moments that, like a rock cast into a pond, send their ripples out almost infinitely–altering lives and ending others. “The White Donkey” follows the tremors, backwards and forwards, and manages to illustrate what feels like a ‘true’ war story and a lonely chapter in a war our country is trying desperately to forget

By Thomas Gibbons-Neff

Thomas Gibbons-Neff is a staff writer and a former Marine infantryman.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/checkpoint/wp/2015/12/14/the-white-donkey-a-graphic-novel-of-the-iraq-war-by-someone-who-fought-in-it/

Ponee
Ponee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum