Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
No properties sold to Arabs in Iraqi Kurdistan I_icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
No properties sold to Arabs in Iraqi Kurdistan I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2024 9:25 am by swizzlestick

» ZIGPLACE
No properties sold to Arabs in Iraqi Kurdistan I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
No properties sold to Arabs in Iraqi Kurdistan I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
No properties sold to Arabs in Iraqi Kurdistan I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
No properties sold to Arabs in Iraqi Kurdistan I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
No properties sold to Arabs in Iraqi Kurdistan I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
No properties sold to Arabs in Iraqi Kurdistan I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
No properties sold to Arabs in Iraqi Kurdistan I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
No properties sold to Arabs in Iraqi Kurdistan I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
No properties sold to Arabs in Iraqi Kurdistan I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
No properties sold to Arabs in Iraqi Kurdistan I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
No properties sold to Arabs in Iraqi Kurdistan I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
No properties sold to Arabs in Iraqi Kurdistan I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
No properties sold to Arabs in Iraqi Kurdistan I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
No properties sold to Arabs in Iraqi Kurdistan I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
No properties sold to Arabs in Iraqi Kurdistan I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm by kenlej

» Dinar Daily Facebook Page
No properties sold to Arabs in Iraqi Kurdistan I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 3:34 pm by Ponee

» The Fundamentals of Finance and Pimpy Live
No properties sold to Arabs in Iraqi Kurdistan I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 18, 2024 7:17 am by Dinarhater

» Why Won't the Iraqi Dinar Scam Die?
No properties sold to Arabs in Iraqi Kurdistan I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 17, 2024 5:19 pm by RamblerNash

No properties sold to Arabs in Iraqi Kurdistan

Go down

No properties sold to Arabs in Iraqi Kurdistan Empty No properties sold to Arabs in Iraqi Kurdistan

Post by Ponee Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:23 pm

No properties sold to Arabs in Iraqi Kurdistan 450x360xKurds-and-Arabs-in-Kirkuk-Iraqi-Kurdistan-photo-ap.jpg.pagespeed.ic.EL4B0UUns7
A Kurdish man (L) and an Arab ® in Kirkuk, Iraq. Photo: AP

The fear is that Arabs will become property owners and the Kurds can only afford to be their tenants.

SULAIMANI, Kurdistan region ‘Iraq’,— Tensions between displaced Arabs in Iraqi Kurdistan and local Kurds are growing. Which is why some fear a recent council ruling that bans Arabs from owning real estate will just make things worse.

In an ordinary sitting late last month, the provincial council in Sulaimani province in Iraqi Kurdistan, made a decision that some locals thought was appalling but which others welcomed enthusiastically. The council decided that Iraqi Arabs would no longer be able to buy property in Sulaimani, which is one of three provinces making up the semi-autonomous region of Iraqi Kurdistan.

In Sulaimani the sale, transfer or purchase of property by non-Kurds is now banned. Of course, the new rule also applies to other foreigners. But clearly the main targets are the many Iraqi Arabs who have flooded into the more secure, semi-autonomous northern region due to the security crisis.

The council members justified their new rule by saying that so many Arabs have moved into the area, formerly dominated by Iraqis of Kurdish ethnicity, that the demography of the area was changing. Additionally the Arabs tended to be better off than many Kurdish people and they feared that Arabs would end up owning all of the property.

“Around 400,000 Arabs have come to the province and without some controls, the city’s demographic make up would have changed,” explains Haval Abubaker, the head of Sulaimani’s council, justifying the decision. “What we have done is also completely constitutional because the Iraqi Constitution prohibits any development that could lead to demographic change in an area. We should also add that this decision is only temporary, and that it also targets other non-Kurdish individuals, not just Arabs.”

The new rule has an out clause that can be invoked when the security crisis caused by the extremist group known as the Islamic State ends. At that stage, any Iraqi, no matter whether Kurdish or not, will once again have the right to own property in Sulaimani province.

While some have welcomed the move, others are uncertain and even angry about it. Some have argued that the decision is the result of ever-increasing racism in Iraqi Kurdistan directed at displaced Arabs living there now – many locals suspect that the Arabs are terrorists or are dangerous and, as the security crisis continues, anti-Arab sentiment continues to run high.

“The decision made by the Sulaimani council is completely unconstitutional and in fact, the council doesn’t have the authority to make a decision like this,” argues Jassim Mohammed Jaafar, a Kurdish MP who is also Iraq’s Minister of Immigration. “I don’t know how this decision will be enforced. But having said that, I haven’t heard any complaints about it yet either from Arabs.”

The influx of Iraqi Arabs is having a major economic impact on Iraqi Kurdistan in many ways. And some of those who benefit financially from the fact that so many Arabs have had to come to their hometown, are not sure if it’s wise to make such rules.

Iraqi Kurdistan has been having financial problems for some time now, ever since conflicts between the government in the semi-independent region and the federal government in Baghdad began. Locals’ purchasing power has fallen – in a country where many people are employed by the government, a financially unstable Iraqi Kurdish government hasn’t always been able to pay its employees on time. But the local market for all kinds of goods has been buoyed by the Iraqi Arabs here, who do get their salaries on time from the federal government.

One mobile phone store owner in central Sulaimani, Shirwan Ali, says he is almost totally dependent on Iraqi Arabs for his business now. “Kurdish pockets are almost completely empty,” Ali told NIQASH. “In the past we used to sell phones on a hire purchase scheme with monthly payments. But we can’t do that anymore. People are only getting their salaries every four months! So we are totally dependent on the Arabs.”

“The impact of the displaced Arab citizens on Kurdistan is double edged,” says Kurdish MP and economist Izzat Saber, who heads the local Parliament’s Committee on Finance and Economics. “If they spent all of their money here, and the region didn’t have to take any responsibility for them, then yes, their presence is an asset to Kurdistan. But there is fear everywhere here – including in Sulaimani – that the Arabs will become property owners and the Kurds will only be their tenants.”

“It is true that Arabs are supporting the markets here. Many of them are government employees or pensioners and they spend their monthly salaries here,” Saber adds. “But at the same time they are a burden on the region’s power, water and health services and they take a share of what should belong to the local Kurdish people.”

There is also another theory that says that higher prices in Iraqi Kurdistan have been caused by the influx of displaced Arabs. More demand means higher prices, suggests Abubaker, the head of Sulaimani’s council. “Arab citizens are behind the rise in prices here. That is why we took these steps – in response to demand from local Kurds.”
The decision taken in Sulaimani has had a knock on effect – now locals in Iraqi Kurdistan’s other two provinces – Dohuk and Erbil – are also asking if they could enact a similar rule.

“The Kurdish Parliament couldn’t make a decision like this because it violates the Iraqi constitution,” says Saber. “This says that any Iraqi citizen can own property, from Basra [in the south] to Dohuk. It is only the provincial councils, like in Sulaimani, who can make these kinds of rules. They have the right to ask the Iraqi government to be responsible for all of the displaced people in the province. If it doesn’t take that responsibility, then it is only fair that displaced people not be allowed to own property.”

http://ekurd.net/no-...stan-2015-10-30

Ponee
Ponee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum