Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
Report Says Iraq’s Shia Militias Laid Waste to Tikrit After Kicking Out the Islamic State I_icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
Report Says Iraq’s Shia Militias Laid Waste to Tikrit After Kicking Out the Islamic State I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2024 9:25 am by swizzlestick

» ZIGPLACE
Report Says Iraq’s Shia Militias Laid Waste to Tikrit After Kicking Out the Islamic State I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
Report Says Iraq’s Shia Militias Laid Waste to Tikrit After Kicking Out the Islamic State I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
Report Says Iraq’s Shia Militias Laid Waste to Tikrit After Kicking Out the Islamic State I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
Report Says Iraq’s Shia Militias Laid Waste to Tikrit After Kicking Out the Islamic State I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
Report Says Iraq’s Shia Militias Laid Waste to Tikrit After Kicking Out the Islamic State I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
Report Says Iraq’s Shia Militias Laid Waste to Tikrit After Kicking Out the Islamic State I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
Report Says Iraq’s Shia Militias Laid Waste to Tikrit After Kicking Out the Islamic State I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
Report Says Iraq’s Shia Militias Laid Waste to Tikrit After Kicking Out the Islamic State I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
Report Says Iraq’s Shia Militias Laid Waste to Tikrit After Kicking Out the Islamic State I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
Report Says Iraq’s Shia Militias Laid Waste to Tikrit After Kicking Out the Islamic State I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
Report Says Iraq’s Shia Militias Laid Waste to Tikrit After Kicking Out the Islamic State I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
Report Says Iraq’s Shia Militias Laid Waste to Tikrit After Kicking Out the Islamic State I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
Report Says Iraq’s Shia Militias Laid Waste to Tikrit After Kicking Out the Islamic State I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
Report Says Iraq’s Shia Militias Laid Waste to Tikrit After Kicking Out the Islamic State I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
Report Says Iraq’s Shia Militias Laid Waste to Tikrit After Kicking Out the Islamic State I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm by kenlej

» Dinar Daily Facebook Page
Report Says Iraq’s Shia Militias Laid Waste to Tikrit After Kicking Out the Islamic State I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 3:34 pm by Ponee

» The Fundamentals of Finance and Pimpy Live
Report Says Iraq’s Shia Militias Laid Waste to Tikrit After Kicking Out the Islamic State I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 18, 2024 7:17 am by Dinarhater

» Why Won't the Iraqi Dinar Scam Die?
Report Says Iraq’s Shia Militias Laid Waste to Tikrit After Kicking Out the Islamic State I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 17, 2024 5:19 pm by RamblerNash

Report Says Iraq’s Shia Militias Laid Waste to Tikrit After Kicking Out the Islamic State

Go down

Report Says Iraq’s Shia Militias Laid Waste to Tikrit After Kicking Out the Islamic State Empty Report Says Iraq’s Shia Militias Laid Waste to Tikrit After Kicking Out the Islamic State

Post by RamblerNash Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:46 pm

Report Says Iraq’s Shia Militias Laid Waste to Tikrit After Kicking Out the Islamic State

By Atoosa Moinzadeh
September 20, 2015 | 2:10 pm

Shia militias backed by the Iraqi government deliberately destroyed hundreds of homes and shops in Tikrit after retaking the city from Islamic State (IS) militants in March and April of 2015, according to a report released Sunday by Human Rights Watch.

The 60-page report uses satellite imagery to document the damage done to Tikrit and several nearby towns. The destruction was carried out with no apparent military reason after IS withdrew from the area, Human Rights Watch said.

IS seized Tikrit, which lies between Baghdad and Mosul and is famous for being Saddam Hussein's hometown, in June 2014. Some residents told Human Rights Watch that they initially welcomed the militants after years of alienation by the government of former Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki. But IS committed numerous human rights abuses during its occupation, forcing many people to flee the city and its surrounding areas.

The Iraqi government relied on the Iranian-backed militias to liberate Tikrit, but, according to Human Rights Watch, the forces ultimately laid waste to entire swathes of the city. After IS fled, several pro-government Shia militias allegedly abducted more than 200 Sunni residents south of Tikrit near the city of al-Dur. At least 160 of the abductees remain unaccounted for.

Prior to the campaign, Shia militia leaders had planned revenge for the IS massacre of 770 Shia military cadets near Tikrit in June 2014. IS practices a radical form of Sunni Islam, and its members consider Shias to be apostates. In March, video footage emerged of home demolitions in which Shia militiamen cursed Sunni residents.

For its report, Human Rights Watch analyzed a series of eight satellite images recorded from December 2014 to May 2015. The photos show at least 1,425 buildings that were likely destroyed, though the group says those figures likely underestimate the extent of the destruction. Much of the demolition occurred in al-Dur, a town of about 120,000 people 12 miles south of Tikrit.

"We burned and destroyed al-Dur, because [the residents] are ISIS and Baathists," one militia member reportedly said, using an alternate acronym for IS and the name of the party that ruled Iraq prior the US invasion in 2003.

Al-Dur residents identified the Hizbollah Battalions as the militia that was mainly responsible for the destruction. Although IS destroyed some properties, and artillery shelling and coalition aerial bombing caused further damage, accounts from residents and satellite images reportedly indicate that the destruction was relatively limited prior to the arrival of the militias.

Given the absence of IS forces in al-Dur, Human Rights Watch determined that there was no military justification for the large-scale destruction that took place after the takeover.

This is not the first time a human rights group has accused Iraq's Shia militias of committing war crimes. In a separate report last year, researchers at Amnesty International said the militias kidnapped and murdered hundreds of people across Iraq, mostly Sunnis.

The militias — also known as Popular Mobilization Forces — are organized in military units with tens of thousands of fighters in their ranks. They operate with the consent of the government in Baghdad, which has enlisted them in the fight against IS. The militias have proved to be one of the few fighting forces capable of pushing back against the militant group, and they have benefited from US air support.

"There is a lot of close collaboration, these Shia militias are [sometimes] operating as formal Iraqi forces, wearing uniforms and driving military vehicles," Sunjeev Bery, Advocacy Director for Middle East and North Africa at Amnesty International, told VICE News last October. "It's difficult to know how much of the Iraqi central government's limited victories against ISIS are the result of the Shia militias, but they are a core part of the central government's strategy. That's what's most disturbing."

In al-Alam, a town northeast of Tikrit, local militiamen reportedly destroyed several houses even though the residents left soon after IS took control in June 2014.

The Human Rights Watch report quoted a local Sunni tribal council as saying that "the sons of al-Alam themselves carried out the destruction of houses" of suspected IS collaborators.

The report also included detailed accounts of the destruction of civilian property, including information on looting and extrajudicial killings in Tikrit. A policeman interviewed by Human Rights Watch recalled an incident in April when militiamen publicly executed two dozen IS fighters who had surrendered because they were out of ammunition and food.

"In light of abuses by Iraqi pro-government militias documented in this report and elsewhere, the United States, Iran and other countries providing military assistance to Iraq should urge and support Iraq to undertake concrete and verifiable reforms to hold perpetrators of serious abuses accountable," the report stated.

Human Rights Watch also called for Iraq to centralize the command structure of the militias in order to rein them in.

"Iraqi authorities need to discipline and hold accountable the out-of-control militias laying waste to Sunni homes and shops after driving ISIS out," Human Rights Watch Deputy Middle East director Joe Stork said. "Abusive militias and their commanders acting with impunity undermine the campaign against ISIS and put all civilians at greater risk."

https://news.vice.com/article/report-says-iraqs-shia-militias-laid-waste-to-tikrit-after-kicking-out-the-islamic-state

Report Says Iraq’s Shia Militias Laid Waste to Tikrit After Kicking Out the Islamic State 258310255 
>>>TNTBS's YouTube Channel<<<
RamblerNash
RamblerNash
GURU HUNTER
GURU HUNTER

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum