Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Phony Tony sez: Full Steam Ahead!
Obama says anti-ISIL fight making progress I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:51 am by Mission1st

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
Obama says anti-ISIL fight making progress I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am by Mission1st

» Russia aren't taking any prisoners
Obama says anti-ISIL fight making progress I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm by kenlej

» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
Obama says anti-ISIL fight making progress I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» ZIGPLACE
Obama says anti-ISIL fight making progress I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
Obama says anti-ISIL fight making progress I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
Obama says anti-ISIL fight making progress I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
Obama says anti-ISIL fight making progress I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
Obama says anti-ISIL fight making progress I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
Obama says anti-ISIL fight making progress I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
Obama says anti-ISIL fight making progress I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
Obama says anti-ISIL fight making progress I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
Obama says anti-ISIL fight making progress I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
Obama says anti-ISIL fight making progress I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
Obama says anti-ISIL fight making progress I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
Obama says anti-ISIL fight making progress I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
Obama says anti-ISIL fight making progress I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
Obama says anti-ISIL fight making progress I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
Obama says anti-ISIL fight making progress I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm by kenlej

» Dinar Daily Facebook Page
Obama says anti-ISIL fight making progress I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 3:34 pm by Ponee

Obama says anti-ISIL fight making progress

Go down

Obama says anti-ISIL fight making progress Empty Obama says anti-ISIL fight making progress

Post by Ponee Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:11 am

The U.S. military is making progress against the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria, but more work remains to be done, President Obama said Monday.

Obama says anti-ISIL fight making progress 53814772015_,mn

"This will not be quick — this is a long-term campaign," Obama said at the Pentagon after meeting top military brass in the wake of setbacks that have prompted critics to call for a more robust U.S. response against the Islamic State.

Obama and his military aides discussed "what's working, and what we can do better," the president said.

In his review of the campaign, Obama stressed that the United States is working with a 60-nation coalition, and that local forces must take the initiative. Military force alone will not "degrade" and "destroy" the Islamic State, he said, citing diplomatic and economic efforts that include efforts to cut off terrorists' money.

The United States and other countries must remain vigilant against "lone wolves" who might be inspired by the Islamic State to launch terrorist attacks, Obama said. That includes projects to counter an extremist ideology that seeks to attract adherents, including young Muslim men.

"Ideologies are not defeated with guns," Obama said. "They're defeated by better ideas, more attractive and more compelling vision."
He added: "We will never be at war with Islam while fighting terrorists who distort Islam and whose victims are mostly Muslims."

Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz,, said the Islamic State continues to gain land in Iraq and Syria, and to expand its influence throughout the region. McCain said Obama's comments "reveal the disturbing degree of self-delusion that characterizes the Administration's campaign against ISIL."

The U.S.-led air war against the Islamic State, also known as ISIL or ISIS, began last August after its fighters overran Mosul and seized tracts of land in Syria as well. It continues with daily airstrikes. The heart of the strategy, however, involves training and equipping local troops to battle ISIL.

The results have been dismal: Iraqi troops fled the provincial capital of Ramadi in May without a fight despite outnumbering ISIL by at least 10 to 1; a touted effort to train and equip Syrian moderates has had a stumbling start, with fewer than 100 having been vetted and receiving training.

McCain, who chairs the Armed Services Committee, has been a persistent critic of the strategy, saying that the deployment of additional trainers last month is "disconnected from any coherent strategy to defeat ISIL."

He wants U.S. troops to deploy outside training bases with Iraqi troops to advise them in battle and to call in airstrikes. Military leaders have resisted deploying airstrike spotters, saying they will require a larger troop commitment than the spotters alone.

On Tuesday, Defense Secretary Ash Carter and Army Gen. Martin Dempsey, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, are scheduled to testify before McCain's committee on the Pentagon's counter-ISIL strategy. Last week, Dempsey described the strategy as building a network of local forces stretching from Africa to Afghanistan to address regional threats.

In Iraq, Carter pointed to the recent deployment of 450 U.S. troops to a base near Ramadi called Taqaddum. Troops there will train 500 Sunni fighters per month to take on ISIL, a Sunni-based movement. Overall, he noted that 10,500 Iraqi security forces have been advised and equipped by U.S. troops.

Meanwhile, Obama also called on Senate Republicans to confirm a Treasury Department official responsible for blocking the flow of money to potential terrorists.

The Republican-run Senate has not even scheduled a hearing for Adam Szubin for undersecretary of the Treasury responsible for interdicting terrorist funds and sanctioning businesses and nations that supply the money, Obama said. If Congress was serious about helping, it would confirm Szubin.
usatoday.com

http://pukmedia.com/EN/EN_Direje.aspx?Jimare=35357
PUKmedia

Ponee
Ponee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum