Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Phony Tony sez: Full Steam Ahead!
Divide and Quit: Why an Iraqi carve-up may not be as clean-cut as it sounds I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:51 am by Mission1st

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
Divide and Quit: Why an Iraqi carve-up may not be as clean-cut as it sounds I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am by Mission1st

» Russia aren't taking any prisoners
Divide and Quit: Why an Iraqi carve-up may not be as clean-cut as it sounds I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm by kenlej

» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
Divide and Quit: Why an Iraqi carve-up may not be as clean-cut as it sounds I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» ZIGPLACE
Divide and Quit: Why an Iraqi carve-up may not be as clean-cut as it sounds I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
Divide and Quit: Why an Iraqi carve-up may not be as clean-cut as it sounds I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
Divide and Quit: Why an Iraqi carve-up may not be as clean-cut as it sounds I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
Divide and Quit: Why an Iraqi carve-up may not be as clean-cut as it sounds I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
Divide and Quit: Why an Iraqi carve-up may not be as clean-cut as it sounds I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
Divide and Quit: Why an Iraqi carve-up may not be as clean-cut as it sounds I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
Divide and Quit: Why an Iraqi carve-up may not be as clean-cut as it sounds I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
Divide and Quit: Why an Iraqi carve-up may not be as clean-cut as it sounds I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
Divide and Quit: Why an Iraqi carve-up may not be as clean-cut as it sounds I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
Divide and Quit: Why an Iraqi carve-up may not be as clean-cut as it sounds I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
Divide and Quit: Why an Iraqi carve-up may not be as clean-cut as it sounds I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
Divide and Quit: Why an Iraqi carve-up may not be as clean-cut as it sounds I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
Divide and Quit: Why an Iraqi carve-up may not be as clean-cut as it sounds I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
Divide and Quit: Why an Iraqi carve-up may not be as clean-cut as it sounds I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
Divide and Quit: Why an Iraqi carve-up may not be as clean-cut as it sounds I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm by kenlej

» Dinar Daily Facebook Page
Divide and Quit: Why an Iraqi carve-up may not be as clean-cut as it sounds I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 3:34 pm by Ponee

Divide and Quit: Why an Iraqi carve-up may not be as clean-cut as it sounds

2 posters

Go down

Divide and Quit: Why an Iraqi carve-up may not be as clean-cut as it sounds Empty Divide and Quit: Why an Iraqi carve-up may not be as clean-cut as it sounds

Post by alleyrose Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:31 pm

It’s one of those arguments that doesn’t need elaboration due to its simplicity. You have fissures in a polity. People don’t get along. There are deep divisions in the society. So why not let them draw lines in the dirt and go their own separate ways?
Divide and Quit: Why an Iraqi carve-up may not be as clean-cut as it sounds PM-Al-Abadi-meets-a-delegation-from-Anbar-including-Sheikh-Ahmed-Abu-Risha-and-members-of-the-provincial-councilPM Al-Abadi meets a delegation from Anbar including Sheikh Ahmed Abu Risha and members of the provincial council
So goes the simple sounding common sense argument for a partition solution. Partition, a word that brings to mind depressing and distressing imagery of the bloodletting which resulted in various partitions in the century gone by – from Cyprus to Northern Ireland to Kashmir to Palestine. And an argument for Iraq’s future if some of its minorities wish to be secede from Baghdad. An argument which has gathered considerable traction in light of the fissures the Islamic State (Daesh) group has sought to sow into Iraqi society in the wake of increased tensions between Erbil and Baghdad and the destabilizing Sunni protests against Baghdad’s policies under former Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki.

The argument is that the Sunni Arabs, the Shia Arabs and the Kurds would be better off if they erected their own states and abolished the Iraqi state as we know it. Such a partition of Iraq could see something like the establishment of an independent Kurdish state, an independent Sunni Arab state in Anbar and central and southern Iraq becoming a predominantly Shia Arab state.
Divide and Quit: Why an Iraqi carve-up may not be as clean-cut as it sounds Iraq_mapThe thing is how the dividing lines will be defined, both in theory and in practice. Shaping the borders could lead to yet more bloodletting. Take the Baghdad-Erbil tensions of the recent past which revolved around, among other things, the Kurdish Regional Government independently exporting the oil on its autonomous territory. An issue which Baghdad and Erbil have reached a compromise over given the pressing threat posed by Daesh. Since Daesh rampaged throughout North Iraq last June the Kurds, almost immediately, entered Kirkuk, an oil-rich city of great significance to Kurdish nationalists which is contested by the Kurds and the Arabs given the systematic ethnic cleansing of the former from it during Saddam Hussein’s rule.
The present premier of Iraqi Kurdistan Massoud Barzani has left the idea of an independence referendum open. But given his nationalist credentials would Barzani relent to any demand from Baghdad to keep Kirkuk within the territory which would remain part of the rest of Iraq if Iraqi Kurdistan does declare full-fledged independence? Furthermore would Baghdad be willing to give up Kirkuk, with its rich oil resources, to an independent Kurdish nation state?
Kirkuk could become a volatile and contentious flashpoint if Iraq’s communities decide to draw lines in the dirt and break-up for good. That’s not to say that Iraq has been a success as a federal state. The fight the country is presently embroiled in is as much for its success as a viable nation state as it is against the dreaded Daesh. And while other contentious issues are being momentarily set aside due to the immediateness of the need to quash Daesh that remains the case. Which is why Baghdad has taken steps to abolish some of the more heavy-handed policies the former Prime Minister undertook in order to salvage a durable federal Iraqi polity.
Two recently planned trenches indicate the nature of the crossroads on which the Iraqi polity is presently situated. The first trench was being dug along a small part (approximately 10 miles) of the Iraqi Kurdish regions frontier with Syria in order to prevent infiltration of Iraq’s relatively porous 600-mile frontier with that war-wrecked state (the PKK-affiliated Syrian Kurds accused the KRG at the time of blockading them). That’s an interesting one because it’s a trench on Kurdish territory which conforms to the internationally recognized borders of Iraq as they exist today, at least in theory.
Divide and Quit: Why an Iraqi carve-up may not be as clean-cut as it sounds Anbar-province-of-IraqThe second trench is for equally practical purposes which largely pertain to security. This planned 45km long trench on the other hand is aimed at shielding the Shi’ite Islamic holy city of Karbala from attacks by groups like Daesh. And given the fact that it cuts off one part of Iraq from another some Sunnis are claiming this reeks of sectarian partition and is a concerted effort on the part of the Shia to secure control over as much of central Iraq as they can before any potential break-up or partitioning. These accusations are of course denied, the Shia see this proposed trench as a merely temporary protective barrier which will remain in place until Daesh is uprooted from the Sunni-majority western province of Anbar – an undertaking which one is happy to hear may transpire in the near future. Which is a good turnaround considering a lot of those tribesmen were poorly armed and were not integrated into the broader federal security forces before Daesh emerged and began seizing Anbar territory killing hundreds of Sunni Arabs in the process.
One hopes that if there is another trench dug in Iraq it will be dug along Anbar’s frontier with Syria after Daesh’s defeat there by a combined task force consisting of Shia Iraqis working in tandem with their Sunni allies against a common enemy in their country. Furthermore one hopes that the Kirkuk dispute doesn’t get bloody and that the Iraqi state doesn’t fragment into morasses of cross-communal violence as a result of Daesh’s onslaughts. Because if it does then Daesh, even in defeat, will have succeeded in driving a deathblow of a wedge in Iraq’s state and society.
http://www.baghdadinvest.com/divide-quit-iraqi-carve-may-not-clean-cut-sounds/
alleyrose
alleyrose
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Divide and Quit: Why an Iraqi carve-up may not be as clean-cut as it sounds Empty Re: Divide and Quit: Why an Iraqi carve-up may not be as clean-cut as it sounds

Post by Terbo56 Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:17 pm

It's not far from that now- It won't take much to finish Iraq off for good-
Terbo56
Terbo56
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum