Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
ISIS attacks Samarra.. on the offensive I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
ISIS attacks Samarra.. on the offensive I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2024 9:25 am by swizzlestick

» ZIGPLACE
ISIS attacks Samarra.. on the offensive I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
ISIS attacks Samarra.. on the offensive I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
ISIS attacks Samarra.. on the offensive I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
ISIS attacks Samarra.. on the offensive I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
ISIS attacks Samarra.. on the offensive I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
ISIS attacks Samarra.. on the offensive I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
ISIS attacks Samarra.. on the offensive I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
ISIS attacks Samarra.. on the offensive I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
ISIS attacks Samarra.. on the offensive I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
ISIS attacks Samarra.. on the offensive I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
ISIS attacks Samarra.. on the offensive I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
ISIS attacks Samarra.. on the offensive I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
ISIS attacks Samarra.. on the offensive I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
ISIS attacks Samarra.. on the offensive I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
ISIS attacks Samarra.. on the offensive I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm by kenlej

» Dinar Daily Facebook Page
ISIS attacks Samarra.. on the offensive I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 3:34 pm by Ponee

» The Fundamentals of Finance and Pimpy Live
ISIS attacks Samarra.. on the offensive I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 18, 2024 7:17 am by Dinarhater

» Why Won't the Iraqi Dinar Scam Die?
ISIS attacks Samarra.. on the offensive I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 17, 2024 5:19 pm by RamblerNash

ISIS attacks Samarra.. on the offensive

Go down

ISIS attacks Samarra.. on the offensive Empty ISIS attacks Samarra.. on the offensive

Post by Cascadian Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:41 pm

TIKRIT, Iraq, Jan. 8 (Xinhua) -- Islamic State (IS) militants launched a major attack on Samarra, a city of Iraq's northern central province of Salahudin, a provincial security source said.

The attack occurred at dawn when five suicide bombers blew up their explosive-laden trucks near the security checkpoints on a highway and at the western entrance of Samarra, some 120km north of the Iraqi capital of Baghdad, the source told Xinhua on condition of anonymity.

The massive bombings were followed by mortar barrage on security positions inside the city while dozens of IS militants advanced in an attempt to enter the city from the western side, the source said.

Security forces opened fire on the booby-trapped trucks, which blew up just before they reached their targets, amid heavy clashes between government forces, aided by allied Shiite militiamen, and the attackers, the source added.

IS militants were forced to withdraw after government reinforcement rushed to the city from several military bases around the city, the source said.

At least seven people were killed, including the five suicide bombers. Twenty-two civilians, 19 policemen and militiamen were wounded, the source added.

Large parts of the Salahudin province have been under IS control since June 11, a day after bloody clashes broke out between Iraqi security forces and the group which had controlled the country's northern city of Mosul and later seized swathes of territories in Nineveh, another northern city, and other predominantly Sunni provinces.

Late last year, Iraq's firebrand Shiite cleric Moqtada al-Sadr ordered his followers to prepare for jihad, or holy war, against the IS militants to protect the holy shrines in Samarra as the IS pushed forward in northern and central parts of the country.

The predominantly Sunni city of Samarra is home to the provincial operations command of Salahudin and the Shiite shrine of Imam Ali al-Hadi. The shrine contains the tombs of Ali al-Hadi and his son Hassan al-Askari, the 10th and 11th of the Shiites' 12 most revered Imams.

Cascadian
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum