Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Phony Tony sez: Full Steam Ahead!
Oil Investors Are Too Calm As Iraq Slides Into Civil War I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:51 am by Mission1st

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
Oil Investors Are Too Calm As Iraq Slides Into Civil War I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am by Mission1st

» Russia aren't taking any prisoners
Oil Investors Are Too Calm As Iraq Slides Into Civil War I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm by kenlej

» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
Oil Investors Are Too Calm As Iraq Slides Into Civil War I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» ZIGPLACE
Oil Investors Are Too Calm As Iraq Slides Into Civil War I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
Oil Investors Are Too Calm As Iraq Slides Into Civil War I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
Oil Investors Are Too Calm As Iraq Slides Into Civil War I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
Oil Investors Are Too Calm As Iraq Slides Into Civil War I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
Oil Investors Are Too Calm As Iraq Slides Into Civil War I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
Oil Investors Are Too Calm As Iraq Slides Into Civil War I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
Oil Investors Are Too Calm As Iraq Slides Into Civil War I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
Oil Investors Are Too Calm As Iraq Slides Into Civil War I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
Oil Investors Are Too Calm As Iraq Slides Into Civil War I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
Oil Investors Are Too Calm As Iraq Slides Into Civil War I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
Oil Investors Are Too Calm As Iraq Slides Into Civil War I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
Oil Investors Are Too Calm As Iraq Slides Into Civil War I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
Oil Investors Are Too Calm As Iraq Slides Into Civil War I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
Oil Investors Are Too Calm As Iraq Slides Into Civil War I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
Oil Investors Are Too Calm As Iraq Slides Into Civil War I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm by kenlej

» Dinar Daily Facebook Page
Oil Investors Are Too Calm As Iraq Slides Into Civil War I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 3:34 pm by Ponee

Oil Investors Are Too Calm As Iraq Slides Into Civil War

Go down

Oil Investors Are Too Calm As Iraq Slides Into Civil War Empty Oil Investors Are Too Calm As Iraq Slides Into Civil War

Post by Ponee Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:14 pm

Oil Investors Are Too Calm As Iraq Slides Into Civil War
2014-06-14
The outbreak of civil war in Iraq has oil traders nervous. Crude oil trading on the NYMEX Thursday gained more than $2 per barrel and has so far continued its climb Friday morning, going as high as $107.68.

Prices are higher on the international market, with Brent crude topping $114 per barrel in London today, the highest level of 2014. So far the price increase hasn’t trickled down to gasoline. Today the average price of a gallon of gas in the U.S. is $3.64. A month ago it was $3.62, and a year ago $3.63, according to Gasbuddy.com.

Investors in companies leveraged to Iraqi oil are skittish, but far from panicky. Shares in Iraq-leveraged oil companies have tumbled this week. Gulf Keystone Petroleum is off 14% this week (though having recovered today from massive losses Thursday). Genel Energy (run by former BP chief Tony Hayward) lost 6% this week. ShaMaran Petroleum is off 9%, while Afren is down 6%.

These sell-offs are surprisingly muted, considering the very real possibility that the world’s fourth-largest oil exporter could soon be disintegrated in a civil war that has already drawn in Iran and could bleed into Saudi Arabia. Global oil investors would have little reason not to take refuge in shares of fast-growing U.S.-only producers like Pioneer Natural Resources PXD +1.77%, Continental Resources CLR +1.66% and EOG Resources EOG +2.14% — all up slightly for the week.

Iraq’s oil production has increased markedly from 2.5 million barrels per day in 2010 to hit a recent high of 3.5 million bpd in March. But volumes are off about 300,000 bpd since then, due in part to sabotage on the important Kirkuk-to-Ceyhan pipeline.

Even if attacks by ISIS don’t effect Iraq’s existing oil production, they certainly will halt new investment in the country. So much for for the dream of Iraq producing 8 million barrels per day by 2020.

It’s quite possible that oil markets are underreacting to the violence in Iraq. It’s worth keeping in mind that Libya now produces roughly 10% of the 1.3 million bpd that it was doing before the revolution that toppled Muammar Khadafi.

IHS Jane’s Intelligence Weekly says in a report today that “energy assets in the north are at severe risk of being raided or targeted, while land cargo transiting across northern Iraq, including traffic bound for Turkey, is at even higher risk of hijacking, or collateral damage from roadside improvised explosive devices or air strikes by Iraqi forces.” Much of the oil produced in the Kurdish north is trucked to Turkey.

ISIS spokesmen are reported to be exhorting their Sunni fighters to prepare for battle in Baghdad and the Shiite holy city of Karbala. “March to Baghdad al-Rashid, the Baghdad of the Caliphate. We have a score to settle…Be certain of the victory of Allah as long as you fear Him,” said ISIS spokesman Abu Muhammad al-Adnani in a recording.

Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani, the leading Shiite cleric, issued a call to arms during Friday prayers today. According to the BBC, Sheik Abdulmehdi al-Karbalai said in a sermon today: “Citizens who are able to bear arms and fight terrorists, defending their country and their people and their holy places, should volunteer and join the security forces to achieve this holy purpose.”

Some see the fall of Baghdad and the splintering of the country as a foregone conclusion. A report on Foxnews.com quoted a U.S. intelligence official saying, “Baghdad is going to be overrun. The Green Zone is going down.”

Time to take refuge in American oil fields.   http://goo.gl/p0kstn
Ponee
Ponee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum