We are heading into the season of travel and so many of us are looking for a great deal on a hotel! It is a challenge to save on a hotel, especially when it is in hotel season.
Even as The Thrifty Couple, we love to travel. In fact, in our “unthrifty” beginnings, travel was where much of our accruing debt went to. So once we got out of debt, we certainly wanted to find a way to travel in budget and for less.
When we can save big money on a hotel, it means our travel budget is stretched further and we can do more with the money we have. It often means an extra day of travel or a nicer hotel from the savings!
Before you even begin, you need to have your travel budget in mind and more specifically, your hotel portion of the travel budget. Once you know what you have to work with, you can then get quite creative with that budget.
Here’s your 8 steps to get the best hotel deal!
- First visit sites like Travelocity.com, Priceline.com, hoteldiscount.com, and hotwire.com
- These are the ones we typically refer to for our “price point,” that is the price we need to beat and to help us determine hotels in the area that are the lowest cost with the amenities that we want.
- We rarely actually make a reservation through one of these sites for a number of reasons: we can usually beat the price, the cancellation policies typically involve a fee (vs. typical cancellations with the hotel by 6pm the day of for no charge), plus I like being able to investigate and have a little more control over what we are promised in the reservation.
Tips to consider when staying at a hotel, motel or resort:
- Find a room with a fridge and microwave – this can contribute to many savings for breakfast, snacks and possible lunch like items!
- Find a hotel with a good cancellation policy – like being able to cancel up to 6 pm the day of checkout with no fees to do so – you never know what is going to happen and this could get you if you have to cancel a trip due to sickness, etc!
- Find a hotel with a FREE breakfast - again, this will contribute to a huge amount of savings!!
- Find a hotel where kids eat FREE if you are traveling with your family. This greatly helps to ease the food budget!
- Find a hotel with FREE parking – most are this way, but you will want to double check as that extra $5 -$10 a night needs to be taken into consideration!
- Find a hotel that will give you a FREE rollaway or FREE crib (or factor the price into your total price) if you need this extra bed.
- Always find out the hotel room capacity as you can be fined for exceeding this capacity! Don’t get caught – the state of CA is the most particular about this! (This is where condo and timeshares will come in for a large family.
- Find a hotel that offers amenities that you want to enjoy during your stay and possibly contribute to some savings – like a swimming pool as this becomes a FREE activity.
- Always consider safety and security – this is #1 for us and is a much bigger factor than “just the cheapest hotel you can find”! This was very much the motivation for us wanting to stay on Times Square for our first trip to NYC, the safety factor.
- Factor tipping for your maid service into your budget. They will make your stay much more pleasant! PLUS it is a very nice gesture.
- Consider buying a discounted gift card to the hotel chain you are staying at to pay for your trip. After you make a reservation, you can go to a site like Cardpool HERE and search for the chain you are staying at and order a gift card and then pay for part of it with this gift card that you got for a 4-10% discount! It’s one final way to save more!
- Posts : 36396
Join date : 2011-08-09
Permissions in this forum:You can reply to topics in this forum