Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
How to Stretch Your Paycheck and Make It Last Longer I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
How to Stretch Your Paycheck and Make It Last Longer I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2024 9:25 am by swizzlestick

» ZIGPLACE
How to Stretch Your Paycheck and Make It Last Longer I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
How to Stretch Your Paycheck and Make It Last Longer I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
How to Stretch Your Paycheck and Make It Last Longer I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
How to Stretch Your Paycheck and Make It Last Longer I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
How to Stretch Your Paycheck and Make It Last Longer I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
How to Stretch Your Paycheck and Make It Last Longer I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
How to Stretch Your Paycheck and Make It Last Longer I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
How to Stretch Your Paycheck and Make It Last Longer I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
How to Stretch Your Paycheck and Make It Last Longer I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
How to Stretch Your Paycheck and Make It Last Longer I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
How to Stretch Your Paycheck and Make It Last Longer I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
How to Stretch Your Paycheck and Make It Last Longer I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
How to Stretch Your Paycheck and Make It Last Longer I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
How to Stretch Your Paycheck and Make It Last Longer I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
How to Stretch Your Paycheck and Make It Last Longer I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm by kenlej

» Dinar Daily Facebook Page
How to Stretch Your Paycheck and Make It Last Longer I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 3:34 pm by Ponee

» The Fundamentals of Finance and Pimpy Live
How to Stretch Your Paycheck and Make It Last Longer I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 18, 2024 7:17 am by Dinarhater

» Why Won't the Iraqi Dinar Scam Die?
How to Stretch Your Paycheck and Make It Last Longer I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 17, 2024 5:19 pm by RamblerNash

How to Stretch Your Paycheck and Make It Last Longer

Go down

How to Stretch Your Paycheck and Make It Last Longer Empty How to Stretch Your Paycheck and Make It Last Longer

Post by Ponee Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:24 pm

How to Stretch Your Paycheck and Make It Last Longer
How to Stretch Your Paycheck and Make It Last Longer C8f62f3adaf3b2a682d7235f2a97a1eb?s=40&d=http%3A%2F%2F0.gravatar
By David Quilty

When I think of different ways to make my paycheck last longer, my mind typically contemplates the little ways to save money like canceling cable TV, going without my daily latte, or cutting coupons. But while it’s true that little things can add up to big savings over time, there are other ways to extend a paycheck that don’t involve cutting back on minutiae. In other words, you could keep the cable and still not feel the pinch.

Let’s take a look at 9 ways to stretch a paycheck that a typical person might not readily consider.

1. Increase Your Withholding Allowances
While getting a huge tax refund every year may seem like a nice bonus, you are actually letting the government use your money interest-free until they return it after you file. Most likely you could’ve been using this money instead. Or better yet, you could’ve been investing it and actually making money with it!

Basically, if you get a huge refund at year’s end, you’re having too much money withheld from your paycheck. To correct the situation, file a new W-4 form with your employer to adjust your federal income tax withholdings. Talk to your HR department or employer to make these changes and check out the IRS withholding calculator. Be careful though not to claim too many exemptions or you could end up owing the IRS a huge tax bill instead.

2. Ask for a Raise
It never hurts to ask for a raise if you think you deserve it, and sometimes asking is the only way you’ll get one. But before you ask, be prepared to state your case. Research what others in your field are getting paid by checking PayScale.com, itemize your accomplishments, and be ready to discuss your long-term goals at the company. A prepared employee is far more apt to get a raise than someone just casually asking.

3. Save Your Raise
It never hurts to have an emergency fund or to invest for your future. If your pre-raise salary covered the bills, put your raise towards a savings, retirement, or 529 college savings account for use later. Or maybe you’d like to take a big trip next summer – save for it now so you aren’t tempted to use too much plastic when the time comes.

And if you’re investing for the long term, your “raise” is doing double duty by actually making you more money through investment earnings and gains. If you’re able to, investing in a well-rounded portfolio can be an excellent way to seriously stretch your paycheck.

4. Start Budgeting
Budgeting your money can seem like a lot of work. But by setting a budget for each paycheck or month, it’s easy to see where your money goes, which in turn makes it easy to adjust your spending habits. Budgeting can also be a great incentive to try out new things

For example, I really can’t do without my morning latte, but I also can’t afford the $80/month it costs me at my neighborhood coffee shop. Scary, huh? By budgeting, I saw where my money was going (to lattes) and that it actually made sense for me to buy a good home espresso machine (for around $80) and avoid the coffee shop. Now I save money daily, still get my latte-fix, and am an excellent barista. Take a few minutes to learn about and make a budget at free budgeting websites like Mint.com.

How to Stretch Your Paycheck and Make It Last Longer Earnings-statement-paycheck

5. Get a Part-Time Job
When I was a kid, my dad worked a part-time gig at the local bowling alley after his full-time job. Once he was able to support his family with his primary job alone, he quit the alley. But he did whatever he needed to make ends meet until then.

If your income isn’t enough, look into finding a second part-time job. You could find something with a local business, such as a hardware store, coffee shop, or grocery store. These days there is a wealth of legitimate ways to make money from home as well. Even just a few extra paid hours a week can go a long way towards helping out with your finances.

6. Increase Insurance Deductibles
How high are your auto, home, and medical insurance deductibles? Do you know? A deductible is the portion you’ve agreed to pay in the event of an insurance claim and you could be paying a higher monthly premium to keep them low. Basically, the higher the deductible, the less premium you pay for insurance.
I keep my car insurance deductibles at the max for my state which is $500; in California, I always kept them at $1,000. This was because it made my policy cheaper and I had a savings account set aside with the deductible amount in it.
If you want to stretch your weekly paycheck, call your insurers tomorrow and ask how much you can save if you make your deductibles higher. That said, it’s important to have the deductible amount on-hand should an accident happen or health concern pop up.

7. Stick to Cash for Purchases
It’s very easy to spend money you don’t have when you don’t use credit cards wisely. I know because I have done it myself. The bill doesn’t show up for a month and no cash is taken out of your checking account. These items seem almost free sometimes in our minds, but they usually come with high interest rates and, if left unpaid, can result in high balances. Use cash or a debit card linked to your checking account so you can feel the impact of how much you are spending. Your paycheck won’t go very far if you have to pay high interest amounts on credit card balances.

8. Refinance Your Mortgage
Interest rates are currently at or near all time lows. Are you taking advantage of it? Refinancing can save you a ton of money, both on a short-term and a long-term basis, by lowering your monthly mortgage payment and reducing the total amount you spend to pay off your home. By speaking to your local banker or institutional lender, or by checking BankRate.com, you can see current rates, estimate how much you can save each month, and discover tips and advice on refinancing.

9. Start a Home Garden
Everyone loves a fresh garden salad, right? But why pay $10 for one at your favorite restaurant when you could have all the fix-ins in your own backyard garden? For an initial investment of a few dollars in seeds, you could be growing your own lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, and carrots. It doesn’t take much time or work to start a home vegetable garden, even if you don’t have a green thumb. Check out Seeds of Change and Botanical Interests and buy organic and non-GMO seeds that will grow healthy plants for you and your family.

http://www.moneycrashers.com/make-paycheck-last-longer/

Ponee
Ponee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum