Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
IMF Says Countries Should ‘Buckle Up,’ Move To Financial Stability Could Be Bumpy I_icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
IMF Says Countries Should ‘Buckle Up,’ Move To Financial Stability Could Be Bumpy I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2024 9:25 am by swizzlestick

» ZIGPLACE
IMF Says Countries Should ‘Buckle Up,’ Move To Financial Stability Could Be Bumpy I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
IMF Says Countries Should ‘Buckle Up,’ Move To Financial Stability Could Be Bumpy I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
IMF Says Countries Should ‘Buckle Up,’ Move To Financial Stability Could Be Bumpy I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
IMF Says Countries Should ‘Buckle Up,’ Move To Financial Stability Could Be Bumpy I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
IMF Says Countries Should ‘Buckle Up,’ Move To Financial Stability Could Be Bumpy I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
IMF Says Countries Should ‘Buckle Up,’ Move To Financial Stability Could Be Bumpy I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
IMF Says Countries Should ‘Buckle Up,’ Move To Financial Stability Could Be Bumpy I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
IMF Says Countries Should ‘Buckle Up,’ Move To Financial Stability Could Be Bumpy I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
IMF Says Countries Should ‘Buckle Up,’ Move To Financial Stability Could Be Bumpy I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
IMF Says Countries Should ‘Buckle Up,’ Move To Financial Stability Could Be Bumpy I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
IMF Says Countries Should ‘Buckle Up,’ Move To Financial Stability Could Be Bumpy I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
IMF Says Countries Should ‘Buckle Up,’ Move To Financial Stability Could Be Bumpy I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
IMF Says Countries Should ‘Buckle Up,’ Move To Financial Stability Could Be Bumpy I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
IMF Says Countries Should ‘Buckle Up,’ Move To Financial Stability Could Be Bumpy I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
IMF Says Countries Should ‘Buckle Up,’ Move To Financial Stability Could Be Bumpy I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm by kenlej

» Dinar Daily Facebook Page
IMF Says Countries Should ‘Buckle Up,’ Move To Financial Stability Could Be Bumpy I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 3:34 pm by Ponee

» The Fundamentals of Finance and Pimpy Live
IMF Says Countries Should ‘Buckle Up,’ Move To Financial Stability Could Be Bumpy I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 18, 2024 7:17 am by Dinarhater

» Why Won't the Iraqi Dinar Scam Die?
IMF Says Countries Should ‘Buckle Up,’ Move To Financial Stability Could Be Bumpy I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 17, 2024 5:19 pm by RamblerNash

IMF Says Countries Should ‘Buckle Up,’ Move To Financial Stability Could Be Bumpy

2 posters

Go down

IMF Says Countries Should ‘Buckle Up,’ Move To Financial Stability Could Be Bumpy Empty IMF Says Countries Should ‘Buckle Up,’ Move To Financial Stability Could Be Bumpy

Post by Ponee Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:21 pm

IMF Says Countries Should ‘Buckle Up,’ Move To Financial Stability Could Be Bumpy POL100913A-A
A trader after announcements from the U.S. central bank: the main challenge for countries is to manage the side effects of easy money policies (photo: Lucas Jackson/Reuters)

GLOBAL FINANCIAL STABILITY REPORT
IMF Says Countries Should ‘Buckle Up,’ Move To Financial Stability Could Be Bumpy
IMF Survey

October 9, 2013

• Primary challenge is normalization of U.S. monetary policy
  • Emerging markets must prepare for likely external shocks

• Euro area corporate debt overhang must be addressed comprehensively

Policymakers need to carefully navigate a series of important transitions facing the global financial system, according to the IMF’s latest Global Financial Stability Report. A failure to implement effective policies and reforms could potentially derail a smooth transition to greater financial stability.

The IMF’s analysis outlined five transitions with global impact:

• The expected unwinding of accommodative monetary policy in the United States;
• A move to a more balanced and sustainable financial sector in emerging economies;
• The drive to bolster weak banks and corporates in the euro area;
• Efforts to reinvigorate Japan’s economy through “Abenomics”; and
• The strengthening of global financial regulation.

The road to normal monetary policy
The primary challenge for policymakers is to manage the current side effects—and the eventual withdrawal—of easy money policies such as low interest rates and bond buying by the U.S. central bank.
Given the prospect of higher interest rates and greater volatility, investors will naturally adjust their portfolios by reducing their fixed income holdings. But there is a risk that by selling too much too fast, long-term interest rates could rise more sharply than presently anticipated.

“There may be bumps in the road to monetary normalization,” said Jose Viñals, Financial Counsellor and head of the IMF’s Monetary and Capital Markets Department. “The question is whether the bumps will make the trip merely uncomfortable, or whether some of them are likely to lead to accidents.”

One of the challenges is the sheer magnitude of the likely portfolio adjustment. The IMF estimates that, since 2009, cumulative U.S. mutual fund inflows into fixed income have exceeded their historical trend by more than $5 trillion. This has raised the risk of large withdrawals in the event of monetary tightening.

Another challenge is the “weak links” in the U.S. shadow banking system, such as mortgage real estate investment trusts. Like the structured investment vehicles and the conduits that mushroomed before the crisis, mortgage real estate investment trusts are highly leveraged and susceptible to funding runs. They could be forced to sell their asset holdings quickly, causing disruption in the mortgage-backed securities market, which could spread to broader asset markets.

Engineering a smooth transition to normal monetary policy will require a clear and well-timed communication strategy by the U.S. central bank to minimize interest rate volatility. It will also require effective strategy execution, according to the IMF. Increased oversight of the overall risks in the shadow banking system and more transparency will be essential to preserve financial stability.

Emerging market risks
Many emerging market economies are increasingly sensitive to changes in easy money policies in advanced economies. This is because foreign investors have crowded into local markets and may withdraw. The IMF estimates that, since 2008, cumulative foreign inflows into local bond markets have exceeded their long-term structural trend by about $470 billion. This amounts to more than 5 percent of advanced economy GDP.
While foreign investors play a bigger role in local debt markets, market liquidity has deteriorated in recent years. This makes local interest rates more sensitive to changes in investor sentiment. At the same time, corporate balance sheets have weakened, financial vulnerabilities are rising, and economic growth is slowing.

Emerging economies need to facilitate an orderly adjustment in their financial markets. If they are faced with significant capital outflows, policy buffers may have to be used wisely. In addition, policymakers need to address domestic vulnerabilities by strengthening macro-financial frameworks and buffers.

Cutting the Gordian knot in the euro area
In the euro area, policy actions at the regional and national levels have helped reduce funding pressures on sovereigns and banks. However, continuing financial fragmentation has increased bank lending rates in stressed euro area economies.

The Global Financial Stability Report also shows that a significant share of the corporate debt in stressed economies is now owed by companies with weak debt servicing capacity. This debt overhang can affect the banking system through losses on corporate loans.

“Some banks will need to increase provisioning against these expected losses,” said Viñals. “This could absorb a large portion of future bank profits and, in some cases, could even eat into capital.”

The IMF estimates that, even if financial fragmentation were reversed over the medium-term, a persistent debt overhang would remain, amounting to almost one-fifth of the combined corporate debt of Italy, Portugal, and Spain.
How can policymakers bolster weak banks and corporates? First, the corporate debt overhang needs to be addressed. This may involve debt cleanups, improvements to bankruptcy frameworks, or special asset management companies to restructure loans.

Second, the planned balance sheet assessment and stress tests by the European authorities are a golden opportunity to conduct a thorough and transparent review of bank asset quality and to identify capital shortfalls. But credible backstops need to be put in place before the exercise is concluded to offset any identified shortfalls.

Japan needs to implement a complete policy package under the ”Abenomics” framework. A failure to enact the planned fiscal and structural reforms could re-ignite deflation and could intensify financial stability risks.

Ponee
Ponee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

IMF Says Countries Should ‘Buckle Up,’ Move To Financial Stability Could Be Bumpy Empty Re: IMF Says Countries Should ‘Buckle Up,’ Move To Financial Stability Could Be Bumpy

Post by catman Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:09 pm

How could this be possible with the GCR happening?  That is supposed to fix all this sort of thing and the IMF doesn't even seem to know about it.  Guess tony will have to give CL a call and get her up to speed.eys lol! eys lol!
catman
catman
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum