Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Phony Tony sez: Full Steam Ahead!
What Happened on September 28? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:51 am by Mission1st

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
What Happened on September 28? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am by Mission1st

» Russia aren't taking any prisoners
What Happened on September 28? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm by kenlej

» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
What Happened on September 28? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» ZIGPLACE
What Happened on September 28? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
What Happened on September 28? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
What Happened on September 28? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
What Happened on September 28? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
What Happened on September 28? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
What Happened on September 28? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
What Happened on September 28? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
What Happened on September 28? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
What Happened on September 28? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
What Happened on September 28? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
What Happened on September 28? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
What Happened on September 28? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
What Happened on September 28? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
What Happened on September 28? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
What Happened on September 28? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm by kenlej

» Dinar Daily Facebook Page
What Happened on September 28? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 3:34 pm by Ponee

What Happened on September 28?

Go down

What Happened on September 28? Empty What Happened on September 28?

Post by Ponee Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:00 am

What Happened on September 28?

• Two US military planes complete the first flights around the world. (1924) The 27,000-mile (about 43,452-kilometer) flight took 175 days. The flights were not non-stop. Overall, the flights broke four world records.

• The flu epidemic hit Philadelphia, gaining speed in its spread around the world. (1918) The flu virus gained momentum in a huge outbreak, spreading from the Liberty Loan parade to the rest of the city. The epidemic likely began in the Midwest in the United States before spreading to Europe with soldiers sent to fight in World War I. The virus then spread worldwide through ship ports, ultimately causing more than 30 million deaths — more deaths than all those that occurred in the war.

• The US Navy abolished flogging. (1850) Under pressure of 271 petitions submitted from US citizens, US Senator John P. Hale managed to get a law passed to abolish flogging. The US Navy and many of its officers resisted the legislation, calling it "misguided."

• Adolf Hitler's life was allegedly spared. (1918) During World War I, Private Henry Tandey of the British military came upon a German soldier — Lance Corporal Adolf Hitler — who had been wounded. Tandey aimed his gun at the man, but was unable to shoot him and let him live. There is no concrete evidence that this happened, but anecdotal evidence seemed to support the report. In one account, Hitler later saw a painting of Tandey carrying a wounded soldier and said, "That’s the man who nearly shot me."

• The "Siege of Yorktown" occurred during the American Revolutionary War. (1781) The battle resulted in a victory for American and French military forces over the British Army. It was not only the final land battle of the war, but also the turning point — the British surrender in Yorktown prompted the negotiations that brought an end to the war.

• France emancipated its Jewish population — the first country in the world to do so. (1791) Other countries followed, some much later. Greece offered emancipation in 1830, Canada in 1832 and the United Kingdom in 1858. The US emancipated its Jewish population in 1868, shortly before Germany in 1871.

• The mold that would later be called penicillin was discovered. (1928) Scottish biologist Sir Alexander Fleming discovered a mold that killed bacteria and named it Penicillium notatum. In 1945, he was awarded the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine for his discovery.

• The ITT Corporation building in New York City was bombed for alleged involvement in the Chilean coup d'etat. (1973) Protesters bombed the company's headquarters, believing the company helped the Chilean military overthrow President Salvador Allende. In 2000, the US CIA declassified documents that indicated ITT offered financial assistance to the coup d'etat.

• The world's first private spaceship went into orbit. (2008) The Falcon 1 was launched by SpaceX, a company founded by Elon Musk, the owner of PayPal.

• Ted Williams hit more than 0.400 in a season, the last Major League Baseball player in history to do so. (1941) Williams hit 0.406 that season, playing his last game on this day. Leaving with a literal band, he hit a home run in his last at-bat.

Ponee
Ponee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum