Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Phony Tony sez: Full Steam Ahead!
What Happened on September 23? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:51 am by Mission1st

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
What Happened on September 23? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am by Mission1st

» Russia aren't taking any prisoners
What Happened on September 23? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm by kenlej

» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
What Happened on September 23? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» ZIGPLACE
What Happened on September 23? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
What Happened on September 23? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
What Happened on September 23? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
What Happened on September 23? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
What Happened on September 23? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
What Happened on September 23? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
What Happened on September 23? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
What Happened on September 23? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
What Happened on September 23? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
What Happened on September 23? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
What Happened on September 23? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
What Happened on September 23? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
What Happened on September 23? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
What Happened on September 23? I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
What Happened on September 23? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm by kenlej

» Dinar Daily Facebook Page
What Happened on September 23? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 3:34 pm by Ponee

What Happened on September 23?

Go down

What Happened on September 23? Empty What Happened on September 23?

Post by Ponee Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:45 am

What Happened on September 23?

• US President Harry S. Truman publicly announced the US had lost its monopoly on nuclear weapons. (1949) President Truman asked his military scientists to double check the reported data indicating the Soviet Union had detonated a nuclear bomb underground. They confirmed the reports. The bomb explosion was detected by seismic activity recorded by US scientists on September 3rd. Other reports indicate the Soviet Union first exploded a nuclear bomb on August 29th that year.

• The first major victory in the Greek War of Independence took place. (1821) The Greeks, fighting for independence from the Ottoman Empire, stormed the city of Tripolitsa, Greece, killing 30,000 Turks and gaining control of the city. Greece gained its independence in 1832.

• Naval Commander John Paul Jones won a major American Revolution battle in English waters. (1779) Jones won the "Battle of Flamborough Head" on his US ship Bonhomme Richard against two British ships. After an intense battle in which Jones' ship was severely damaged, one of the British captains asked if he was ready to surrender. Jones famously replied, "I have not yet begun to fight!" Three hours later, he had won the battle. The Bonhomme Richard sank the following day.

• Harvard College graduated its first students. (1642) At the time, only a school identified as a "university" could graduate students; a college was considered a place that provided room, board and education to teachers and scholars. Harvard held commencements without regard to the terminology technicality. The college — essentially Harvard's undergraduate program — is now the oldest school at Harvard University.

• Neptune was discovered. (1846) Astronomers John Couch Adams from England and Urbain Jean Joseph Le Verrier from France discovered Neptune — the eighth planet in the Solar System to be discovered. Johann Gottfried Galle, a German astronomer, verified the findings.

• The first gas chamber tests at Auschwitz were performed. (1941) Several million people were killed in these gas chambers by the German Nazis during World War II.

• Richard Nixon made the "Checkers" speech. (1952) Nixon was a California Senator at the time and hoping to run for US President. He had been accused of campaign fund improprieties and addressed US television audiences in order to defend himself. He famously mentioned that he would keep the small dog his children had named "Checkers," which had been a gift. The public rallied and Nixon not only ended up on the presidential ticket, but won the US presidency.

• More than $1 billion US Dollars in treasure was lost at sea. (1641) The Merchant Royal was carrying the treasure when it was lost at sea off the coast of Cornwall, England. The shipwreck has never been found, but many presume the treasure was take by the crew on the Dover Merchant who came to the rescue of the drowning shipmen.

• The "Karlstad Treaty" was signed, making Sweden and Norway independent nations. (1905) Negotiations to dissolve the union between the two countries ended on this day with the signing of the treaty. The separation was peaceful, though both sides had military forces waiting in the wings.

• The US occupation of the Dominican Republic ended. (1922) US Secretary of State Charles Evans Hughes signed the Hughes-Peynado agreement, effectively ending the US occupation.

• The Mozilla Firefox browser was first made available to the public. (2002) The first version was called Phoenix 0.1. The Mozilla Foundation later changed the name to Mozilla Firebird due to trademark issues with Phoenix Technologies. Further pressure from developers resulted in the final name change to Mozilla Firefox on February 9, 2004.

Ponee
Ponee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum