Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
Pops In China’s Construction Bubble (But It’s Not Going To End) I_icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
Pops In China’s Construction Bubble (But It’s Not Going To End) I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2024 9:25 am by swizzlestick

» ZIGPLACE
Pops In China’s Construction Bubble (But It’s Not Going To End) I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
Pops In China’s Construction Bubble (But It’s Not Going To End) I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
Pops In China’s Construction Bubble (But It’s Not Going To End) I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
Pops In China’s Construction Bubble (But It’s Not Going To End) I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
Pops In China’s Construction Bubble (But It’s Not Going To End) I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
Pops In China’s Construction Bubble (But It’s Not Going To End) I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
Pops In China’s Construction Bubble (But It’s Not Going To End) I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
Pops In China’s Construction Bubble (But It’s Not Going To End) I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
Pops In China’s Construction Bubble (But It’s Not Going To End) I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
Pops In China’s Construction Bubble (But It’s Not Going To End) I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
Pops In China’s Construction Bubble (But It’s Not Going To End) I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
Pops In China’s Construction Bubble (But It’s Not Going To End) I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
Pops In China’s Construction Bubble (But It’s Not Going To End) I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
Pops In China’s Construction Bubble (But It’s Not Going To End) I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
Pops In China’s Construction Bubble (But It’s Not Going To End) I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm by kenlej

» Dinar Daily Facebook Page
Pops In China’s Construction Bubble (But It’s Not Going To End) I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 3:34 pm by Ponee

» The Fundamentals of Finance and Pimpy Live
Pops In China’s Construction Bubble (But It’s Not Going To End) I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 18, 2024 7:17 am by Dinarhater

» Why Won't the Iraqi Dinar Scam Die?
Pops In China’s Construction Bubble (But It’s Not Going To End) I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 17, 2024 5:19 pm by RamblerNash

Pops In China’s Construction Bubble (But It’s Not Going To End)

2 posters

Go down

Pops In China’s Construction Bubble (But It’s Not Going To End) Empty Pops In China’s Construction Bubble (But It’s Not Going To End)

Post by Kevind53 Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:09 am

OK, so this is not a guru post per se, but since they keep talking about China riding in to save everyone's financial bacon, I thought this was the best place to place this. It fits just about spot on with the conclusions I have been drawing from my studies and speaks directly to the guru speak we have all been hearing.

Monday, August 12, 2013 at 11:29AM

China’s phenomenal construction bubble, driven by local governments that must keep their economies growing, no matter what the costs, and funded largely by state-owned megabanks, has led to an equally phenomenal misallocation of capital, overbuilding, waste, ghost cities, empty shopping malls, and recently: an epidemic of shuttered luxury department stores.

The ghost cities and dead malls have been documented in riveting photos or videos, such as CBS’s 60 Minutes. “If the bubbles are not controlled, the result will be catastrophic,” Wang Shi, chairman of China Vanke, the largest residential property developer, had warned a while back.

They aren’t “controlled.” And some are already popping. In retail land, for example.

Overall retail sales remain strong. In July, they rose 13.2% year over year. Online retail sales jumped 67.5% in 2012, accounting for 6% of total retail sales. They pressure brick-and-mortar retailers, particularly department stores. One of the culprits: apparel. The department store staple has become a very popular item for online retailers. Department stores as a whole booked average sales growth of 16.5% in the period of 2006-2011, but in 2012, sales rose “only” 8.9%.

Yet, they continued to sprout like mushrooms, often side by side, with exactly the same products on their shelves, a homogenized bunch, with nothing else to fight over than price. Hence ferocious price wars. Shopping malls, which are also sprouting like mushrooms, are syphoning off customers. Department stores have few defenses in this shifting retail environment. Most of them are a new, or relatively new, and have not yet been able to create a loyal customer base.

At the same time, costs are soaring. Wages, utilities, everything. Rents for large outlets jumped 21% in 2012 nationwide, according to the Commerce Ministry.

Consequences? In Shenyang, a city of 8 million people in northeast China, the Chinese department store chain New-Mart closed a store on August 1, a couple of month after next-door neighbor, the Japanese department store Isetan, had shuttered its doors, the Asahi Shimbun reported. There are about 10 department stores in that area of town. In the city overall, floor space of department stores, including those under construction, has now reached 4 million square meters – more than four times the floor space of large department stores in shopping megalopolis Tokyo. Department stores have also shut down in Beijing, Shanghai, Chengdu (a major store closed in July after its rent had quintupled!), and other cities.

Nevertheless, economic growth, which is petering out, must be maintained, no matter what the costs, and construction projects are simply the easiest way to accomplish that. But a big publicly announced stimulus package from the central government is not in the cards. Officials have bent over backwards recently to make that clear. The monstrous 4 trillion yuan package in 2008 has taken a lot of flak, including from government insiders, for having been ineffective. And there is no appetite for more of the same.

But “government and banking industry sources familiar with the situation” who “declined to be named due to the highly sensitive nature of the matter,” have been spilling the beans to the South China Morning Post. The central government, they said, is considering an “unofficial economic stimulus” to prop up key economies like Shanghai. On the quiet!

For that purpose, Agricultural Bank of China, one of the state-owned megabanks, inked a deal to lend the city of Shanghai 250 billion yuan (about $41 billion) for a number of big construction projects, the sources said. The loan would amount to 12.5% of Shanghai’s 2012 GDP. And it would be in addition to a massive loan from a state-owned bank to Shanghai to build a Hong Kong-style free-trade zone.

“Agbank confirmed to the Post that it had signed an ‘all-aspect strategic co-operation’ agreement with Shanghai, but declined to elaborate,” the paper reported. And the beleaguered stock market in Shanghai jubilated, rising a euphoric 2.4%, in anticipation of the state manna coming its way.

Other state banks are likely to jump into the fray to prop up the economies of other key area, such as Guangdong province whose export sector is teetering due to swooning worldwide demand for increasingly expensive Chinese goods. Even in China, according to the SCMP, such huge loan deals by state-owned banks for cities “are considered rare.”

So the central government is showing its hand. The property and infrastructure bubbles will continue to be nurtured by limitless borrowed money from state-owned banks, and these bubbles are still swelling up beautifully, whether or not the projects are needed, and whether or not ghost cities decay and department stores close their doors, and whether or not these loans can ever be repaid.

But the hot air is hissing out of manufacturing – despite all government contortions to the contrary. Now Zhang Ruimin, CEO of China’s largest appliance maker Haier Group, put his finger on the problem. And it doesn’t look good.

http://www.testosteronepit.com/home/2013/8/12/pops-in-chinas-construction-bubble-but-its-not-going-to-end.html

Trust but Verify --- R Reagan Suspect

"Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you."1 Thessalonians 5:14–18

Pops In China’s Construction Bubble (But It’s Not Going To End) 2805820865  Pops In China’s Construction Bubble (But It’s Not Going To End) 2805820865  Pops In China’s Construction Bubble (But It’s Not Going To End) 2805820865  Pops In China’s Construction Bubble (But It’s Not Going To End) 2805820865
Kevind53
Kevind53
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Pops In China’s Construction Bubble (But It’s Not Going To End) Empty Re: Pops In China’s Construction Bubble (But It’s Not Going To End)

Post by az-tex Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:30 am

The world wide crash is a comin'...flame

In God's timing, not a second sooner...
az-tex
az-tex
VIP Member
VIP Member

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum