Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Get Daily Updates of the NEWS & GURUS in your EMAIL
CHECK YOUR EMAIL for VERIFICATION

Enter your email address:

UN Daily News 01/24/2013 DinarDailyUpdates?bg=330099&fg=FFFFFF&anim=1

UN Daily News 01/24/2013

Go down

UN Daily News 01/24/2013 Empty UN Daily News 01/24/2013

Post by IQD4US on Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:18 pm

http://www.un.org/news/dh/pdf/english/2013/24012013.pdf

UN envoy strongly condemns attack on mourners at mosque in northern Iraq

24 January
- The top United Nations envoy in Iraq today strongly condemned an attack against civilians attending a funeral in a mosque in the town of Tuz Khurmato in the northern part of the country, which killed dozens of people and injured many others.
“Such attacks aim to heighten tensions in this particularly sensitive region, and I call on all people of Iraq to resist vicious attempts to undermine their thrive for peace and stability,” said the Secretary-General’s Special Representative and head of the UN Assistance Mission for Iraq (UNAMI), Martin Kobler in a news release.
According to media reports, a suicide bomber killed at least 35 people and wounded more than 100 at a funeral near a Shiite mosque in northern Iraq on Wednesday. The attack reportedly wounded at least two senior Iraqi Government officials.
Mr. Kobler urged all Iraqi leaders to live up to their responsibilities, including “taking all necessary measures to work without delay on defusing such an alarming situation.”
He also expressed his profound sympathy to the families of the victims, to whom he extended his sincere condolences, and wished a speedy recovery for those who were injured.
Over the past month, Mr. Kobler has repeatedly called for an end to violence directly targeting civilians, after a wave of attacks in northern Iraq targeting individuals in crowded areas and the killing of a Member of Parliament who died in a terrorist attack during a demonstration in Fallujah last week.
[size=16][size=16]
UN panel pays out $1.3 billion in reparations for Iraq’s invasion of Kuwait

24 January
- The United Nations Compensation Commission (UNCC), which settles the damage claims of those who suffered losses due to Iraq’s 1990 invasion of Kuwait, today made $1.3 billion available to two successful claimants.
The latest round of payments brings the total amount of compensation disbursed by the Commission to $40.1 billion for more than 1.5 million successful claims of individuals, corporations, governments and international organizations, leaving some $12.3 billion remaining to be paid.
Successful claims are paid funds monies drawn from the UN Compensation Fund, which is financed by a percentage of the proceeds generated by the export sales of Iraqi petroleum and petroleum products.
In a news release, the UNCC said the two remaining claims were awarded compensation for damages to Kuwait’s oil field assets including wells, pipelines and related equipment, and associated production and sales losses.
The Geneva-based UNCC’s Governing Council has identified six categories of claims: four are for individuals’ claims, one for corporations and one for governments and international organizations, which also includes claims for environmental damage.
The Commission was established in 1991 as a subsidiary organ of the UN Security Council. It has received nearly three million claims, including from nearly 100 governments for themselves, their nationals or their corporations.
[/size]
[/size]
IQD4US
IQD4US
Elite Member
Elite Member

Posts : 1005
Join date : 2011-12-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum