Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Get Daily Updates of the NEWS & GURUS in your EMAIL
CHECK YOUR EMAIL for VERIFICATION

Enter your email address:

For our Alaskan Friends DinarDailyUpdates?bg=330099&fg=FFFFFF&anim=1

For our Alaskan Friends

5 posters

Go down

For our Alaskan Friends Empty For our Alaskan Friends

Post by Kevind53 Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:56 pm

Saw this and thought of you guys ...

For our Alaskan Friends Bear-a10

Trust but Verify --- R Reagan Suspect

"Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you."1 Thessalonians 5:14–18

For our Alaskan Friends 2805820865  For our Alaskan Friends 2805820865  For our Alaskan Friends 2805820865  For our Alaskan Friends 2805820865
Kevind53
Kevind53
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

For our Alaskan Friends Empty Re: For our Alaskan Friends

Post by dinarstar Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:15 pm

What a great,great picture Kevin!!
It amazes me,that you come up with all this cool stuff,awesome!! :yes:

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It's the courage to continue that counts."
Winston Churchill
(1874-1965)
hug

dinarstar
VIP Member
VIP Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aksafeone Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:25 pm

That's what I'm talkin" about!!!!!!
My bet is on the bear to land the fish!!!!
aksafeone
aksafeone
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dinarstar Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:39 pm

@aksafeone wrote:That's what I'm talkin" about!!!!!!
My bet is on the bear to land the fish!!!!

Laughing I am guessing you have been there and done that!

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It's the courage to continue that counts."
Winston Churchill
(1874-1965)
hug

dinarstar
VIP Member
VIP Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by takeoff Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:44 pm

Wonder if that was a real pic? Very cool, though if I saw a cub I would be getting on the move because mom most likely is not far.

takeoff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by takeoff Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:46 pm

Ha, just read the caption. Very funny.

takeoff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aksafeone Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Yes, I have fished with the bears. And contrary to public opinion - THEY are not pets. When we go to the Upper Russian River we carry 9 shot 12 gauges with slugs and if the bears show up WE MOVE DOWN RIVER away from them. A bears heart beats 4 times a minute - they can get to 35 - 50 mph in three leaps (depending on the species). Even if you shoot their heart out they can still reach you. Anyone who thinks they can out run one is dreaming. Usually they will whoof and advance to see what you are. If you run your toast. Moon walking slowly backwards is allowed. There is no shame in retreat from a bear.
Yes, we have lost fish - but THEY can have them. EVERY year someone doubts that bears are wild animals and pays the price - sometimes with their life.
A close friend of ours was doing her usual morning run (this time from their camp down a forest service road) and was charged and mauled savagely. Never even knew what hit her. She lived, but her quality of life has not been the same.

And yes takeoff - it is a real picture.
aksafeone
aksafeone
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by takeoff Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:03 pm

I never came across any close encounters during my years on Kodiak, though saw many bear from the boat during salmon season. A friend I used to hunt with up there said if you were in peril while in the mountains if you were able to run or slide down a steep slope that they were not that good at going down steep terrain. You ever heard that?

takeoff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dinarstar Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:16 pm

@takeoff wrote:I never came across any close encounters during my years on Kodiak, though saw many bear from the boat during salmon season. A friend I used to hunt with up there said if you were in peril while in the mountains if you were able to run or slide down a steep slope that they were not that good at going down steep terrain. You ever heard that?

takeoff,I am just guessing now...
but...if no one replies,then I would think that...it does not work!

affraid affraid affraid

Winston Churchill
(1874-1965)
hug

dinarstar
VIP Member
VIP Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevind53 Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:28 am

@takeoff wrote:I never came across any close encounters during my years on Kodiak, though saw many bear from the boat during salmon season. A friend I used to hunt with up there said if you were in peril while in the mountains if you were able to run or slide down a steep slope that they were not that good at going down steep terrain. You ever heard that?

You would still lose. In the time I was on Kodiak back in the 70's there was a Blazer "killed" by a Brown bear, and I had the dubious honor of sharing a stream with one during the salmon run ... I am grateful he or she was more interested in dinner than me ... slowly moved away .... and when at a safer distance changed my pants! affraid Those suckers are big! affraid Oh by the way, the Blazer apparently got between a she bear and her cubs, she came charging down the hill and hit that blazer so hard it rolled ... and then proceeded to pummel the living daylights out of it ... glad I was not an occupant!

Trust but Verify --- R Reagan Suspect

"Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you."1 Thessalonians 5:14–18

For our Alaskan Friends 2805820865  For our Alaskan Friends 2805820865  For our Alaskan Friends 2805820865  For our Alaskan Friends 2805820865
Kevind53
Kevind53
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dinarstar Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:38 am

Maybe...I should be taking AK off of my bucket list...I might just end up...kicking it :pale: :pale: :pale:

Winston Churchill
(1874-1965)
hug

dinarstar
VIP Member
VIP Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aksafeone Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:43 am

You don't need to worry - those bears don't like we humans around them any more that we want them around up. The key is to not be where they are. Usually we do not encounter bears as they hear us and avoid us. Although I have had several in my yard over the years, they generally are passing through and keep going.
Most of the time when there is a bear encounter it is the human that initiated the encounter. The radio usually will let people know where bears are a problem and one just avoids that area. There are people who come up and would give a bunch of money just to see one and never do. A cousin of mind has been up here for the last 25 summers and never seen one although he fishes almost every day he is here.
aksafeone
aksafeone
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dinarstar Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:49 am

Thanks ak...but are you familiar with "Murphy's Law"?
If something can go wrong,chances are it will go wrong Laughing
Knowing my luck,and being a close aquaintence of said Murphy...the very FIRST wildlife I will encounter will be Mamma Bear and her little family...uh huh...we know where that story will end,most likely!

run

Winston Churchill
(1874-1965)
hug

dinarstar
VIP Member
VIP Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aksafeone Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:20 am

Don't let all the bear stories get to you. WE like to brag up the bears and animal stories, that is to make people aware that they are not pets like TV and the Movies have led people to believe. The chances of an encounter by a normal visitor is rare. One might see a moose munching along a road or an eagle sitting in a tree - then again they may not.
Some of us have seen these things because we put ourselves in a position to do so - in their domain. I know the probability of seeing a bear when the salmon are running is great - if I am where the bears congregate to FISH, I also know not to go close to one when they are feeding. The key is that I initiated the potential. Most fishermen who come up here fish from boats or from the shore in populated areas (campgrounds, beaches, private docks along the river) - bears usually are not found in these area because of PEOPLE and they avoid us when they can. They do that by staying away from populated areas.
aksafeone
aksafeone
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 1alaskan Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:56 am

Have guy who works for me sometimes and we down past aksafeone place in a town called Ninilchik, going halibut fishing the next day, he went for a jog, 3-4 miles one evening, ran up Oilwell Road and back, on the way back, he saw bear scat and tracks over his track on the side of the road in a mud puddle, he did not jog back, more like sprinted!

And folks not to worry about outrunning a bear just shoot your buddy in the leg and outrun him! But the Russian is known for encounters, some end not so good.

Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.
Marilyn Vos Savant

Yesterday would have been better, but today is a good day

Remember as always, JMHO
Rantings from just north of sixty

1alaskan
Elite Member
Elite Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum