Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Phony Tony sez: Full Steam Ahead!
Some proof that the Minister of Defence is operating in Iraq I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:51 am by Mission1st

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
Some proof that the Minister of Defence is operating in Iraq I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am by Mission1st

» Russia aren't taking any prisoners
Some proof that the Minister of Defence is operating in Iraq I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm by kenlej

» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
Some proof that the Minister of Defence is operating in Iraq I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» ZIGPLACE
Some proof that the Minister of Defence is operating in Iraq I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
Some proof that the Minister of Defence is operating in Iraq I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
Some proof that the Minister of Defence is operating in Iraq I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
Some proof that the Minister of Defence is operating in Iraq I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
Some proof that the Minister of Defence is operating in Iraq I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
Some proof that the Minister of Defence is operating in Iraq I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
Some proof that the Minister of Defence is operating in Iraq I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
Some proof that the Minister of Defence is operating in Iraq I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
Some proof that the Minister of Defence is operating in Iraq I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
Some proof that the Minister of Defence is operating in Iraq I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
Some proof that the Minister of Defence is operating in Iraq I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
Some proof that the Minister of Defence is operating in Iraq I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
Some proof that the Minister of Defence is operating in Iraq I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
Some proof that the Minister of Defence is operating in Iraq I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
Some proof that the Minister of Defence is operating in Iraq I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm by kenlej

» Dinar Daily Facebook Page
Some proof that the Minister of Defence is operating in Iraq I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 3:34 pm by Ponee

Some proof that the Minister of Defence is operating in Iraq

Go down

Some proof that the Minister of Defence is operating in Iraq Empty Some proof that the Minister of Defence is operating in Iraq

Post by hound Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:37 am

Ministry of Defence pays £100,000 to family of drowned Iraqi teenager

Saeed Shabram alleged to be victim of British army punishment known as 'wetting'

reddit this

Owen Bowcott
guardian.co.uk, Thursday 21 July 2011 20.52 BST
Article history

saeed-shabram-drowned-iraq
Saeed Shabram, who drowned at Basra in 2003 after being detained by British troops

The Ministry of Defence has agreed to pay £100,000 compensation to the family of an Iraqi teenager who drowned near Basra after being detained by British troops. In an out-of-court settlement with his relatives' British lawyers, the MoD did not admit liability for the death of 18-year-old Saeed Shabram in May 2003.

His cousin, Menem Akaili, who claims he was forced into the Shatt al-Arab river by soldiers at the same time, will also receive an official payment.

Akaili said that he and Shabram were approached by a British patrol and led at gunpoint down to a jetty before being forced into the river. The punishment was known as "wetting" and said to have been inflicted on local youths suspected of looting.

"Wetting was supposed to humiliate those suspected of being petty criminals," said Sapna Malik, the family's lawyer at Leigh Day and Co. "Although the MoD denies that there was a policy of wetting to deal with suspected looters around the time of this incident, evidence we have seen suggests otherwise.

"The tactics employed by the MoD appeared to include throwing or placing suspected looters into either of Basra's two main waterways."

Iraqi bystanders dragged Akaili out of the water but his cousin disappeared. Shabram's body was later recovered by a diver hired by his father, Radhi Shabram. Shabram's mother waited on the river bank for four hours, screaming and crying, while the diver searched the river. "When Saeed's corpse was finally pulled from the river, Radhi describes how it was bloated and covered with marks and bruises," said Leigh Day.

Akaili said: "I feel as though what happened to Saeed was totally pointless. We begged the soldiers to show us mercy but they ignored us, killed my dear friend and nearly killed me." None of the four soldiers said to have been involved was charged. The initial stage of the official investigation into the drowning took more than three years.

According to Malik, another Iraqi teenager, 15-year-old Ahmed Jabbar Keeram Ali, drowned in "very similar circumstances" in the same river a fortnight earlier after being apprehended by British soldiers.

A spokesperson for the MoD said: "When compensation claims are received by the Ministry of Defence they are considered on the basis of whether or not there is a legal liability to pay compensation. In this case we came to an amicable settlement and our sympathies remain with Mr Shabram's family."

hound

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum