Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Phony Tony sez: Full Steam Ahead!
This is one Christmas carol that has always  baffled me. I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:51 am by Mission1st

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
This is one Christmas carol that has always  baffled me. I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am by Mission1st

» Russia aren't taking any prisoners
This is one Christmas carol that has always  baffled me. I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm by kenlej

» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
This is one Christmas carol that has always  baffled me. I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» ZIGPLACE
This is one Christmas carol that has always  baffled me. I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
This is one Christmas carol that has always  baffled me. I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
This is one Christmas carol that has always  baffled me. I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
This is one Christmas carol that has always  baffled me. I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
This is one Christmas carol that has always  baffled me. I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
This is one Christmas carol that has always  baffled me. I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
This is one Christmas carol that has always  baffled me. I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
This is one Christmas carol that has always  baffled me. I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
This is one Christmas carol that has always  baffled me. I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
This is one Christmas carol that has always  baffled me. I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
This is one Christmas carol that has always  baffled me. I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
This is one Christmas carol that has always  baffled me. I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
This is one Christmas carol that has always  baffled me. I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
This is one Christmas carol that has always  baffled me. I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
This is one Christmas carol that has always  baffled me. I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm by kenlej

» Dinar Daily Facebook Page
This is one Christmas carol that has always  baffled me. I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 3:34 pm by Ponee

This is one Christmas carol that has always baffled me.

4 posters

Go down

This is one Christmas carol that has always  baffled me. Empty This is one Christmas carol that has always baffled me.

Post by Angel798 Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:03 pm

What in the world do leaping lords, French hens, swimming swans, and especially the partridge who won't come out of the pear tree have to do with Christmas?

Today I found out, thanks to the Internet.

From 1558 until 1829, Roman Catholics in England were not permitted to practice their faith openly. Someone during that era wrote this carol as a catechism song for young Catholics.

It has two levels of meaning:

The surface meaning plus a hidden meaning known only to members of their church.

Each element in the carol has a code word for a Religious reality which the children could remember.

The partridge in a pear tree was Jesus Christ.

Two turtle doves were the Old and New Testaments.

Three French hens stood for faith, hope, and love.

The four calling birds were the four gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John.

The five golden rings recalled the Torah or Law, the first five books of the Old Testament.

The six geese a-laying stood for the six days of creation.

Seven swans a-swimming represented the sevenfold gifts of the Holy Spirit: Prophesy, Serving, Teaching, Exhortation, Contribution, Leadership, and Mercy.

The eight maids a-milking were the eight Beatitudes.

Nine ladies dancing were the nine fruits of the Holy Spirit: Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness, Goodness, Faithfulness, Gentleness, and Self Control.

The 10 lords a-leaping were the 10 commandments.

The 11 pipers piping stood for the 11 faithful disciples.

The 12 drummers drumming symbolized the 12 points of belief in the Apostles' Creed.

So, there is your history for today. This knowledge was shared with me and I found it interesting and enlightening and now I know how that strange song became a Christmas carol...
This is one Christmas carol that has always  baffled me. Untitled

Angel798

Back to top Go down

This is one Christmas carol that has always  baffled me. Empty Re: This is one Christmas carol that has always baffled me.

Post by dinarling77 Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:08 pm

On the 2nd Day of Christmas my True Love Gave to Me!

This is one Christmas carol that has always  baffled me. Turtle+doves+quint

• Your favorite (DID) Dissociative Identity Disorder DDD member
dinarling77
dinarling77
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

This is one Christmas carol that has always  baffled me. Empty Re: This is one Christmas carol that has always baffled me.

Post by Kevind53 Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:21 pm

Lot's of speculation, but in reality the actual meaning has been lost in antiquity. Some claim a hidden code for Roman Catholics in England, but since the origin of the song appears to be France, this is unlikely. Best guess? An irreligious parody, perhaps tied to customs around the feast of Epiphany.

Trust but Verify --- R Reagan Suspect

"Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you."1 Thessalonians 5:14–18

This is one Christmas carol that has always  baffled me. 2805820865  This is one Christmas carol that has always  baffled me. 2805820865  This is one Christmas carol that has always  baffled me. 2805820865  This is one Christmas carol that has always  baffled me. 2805820865
Kevind53
Kevind53
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Ponee Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:00 pm

:rudolf:

Ponee
Ponee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum