Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
Transparency key to EU debt, China growth: Paulson I_icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
Transparency key to EU debt, China growth: Paulson I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2024 9:25 am by swizzlestick

» ZIGPLACE
Transparency key to EU debt, China growth: Paulson I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
Transparency key to EU debt, China growth: Paulson I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
Transparency key to EU debt, China growth: Paulson I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
Transparency key to EU debt, China growth: Paulson I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
Transparency key to EU debt, China growth: Paulson I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
Transparency key to EU debt, China growth: Paulson I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
Transparency key to EU debt, China growth: Paulson I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
Transparency key to EU debt, China growth: Paulson I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
Transparency key to EU debt, China growth: Paulson I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
Transparency key to EU debt, China growth: Paulson I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
Transparency key to EU debt, China growth: Paulson I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
Transparency key to EU debt, China growth: Paulson I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
Transparency key to EU debt, China growth: Paulson I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
Transparency key to EU debt, China growth: Paulson I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
Transparency key to EU debt, China growth: Paulson I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm by kenlej

» Dinar Daily Facebook Page
Transparency key to EU debt, China growth: Paulson I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 3:34 pm by Ponee

» The Fundamentals of Finance and Pimpy Live
Transparency key to EU debt, China growth: Paulson I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 18, 2024 7:17 am by Dinarhater

» Why Won't the Iraqi Dinar Scam Die?
Transparency key to EU debt, China growth: Paulson I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 17, 2024 5:19 pm by RamblerNash

Transparency key to EU debt, China growth: Paulson

Go down

Transparency key to EU debt, China growth: Paulson Empty Transparency key to EU debt, China growth: Paulson

Post by lexie Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:55 am

Dec 09, 2011 01:00 EST

Transparency key to EU debt, China growth: Paulson

BEIJING (Reuters) - Improved transparency is Europe's quickest route to debt resolution and China's best defense against external economic shocks, former U.S. Treasury Secretary Hank Paulson says.

Paulson's definition of transparency is both broad and direct -- if regulation or legislation gets in the way of clarity and confidence for financial markets, it has to go.

"Complexity is the enemy and complexity is what leads to opacity, the opposite of transparency." Paulson said in an interview during a visit to China with his eponymous Paulson Institute.

"When there isn't transparency it's not always because people are trying to hide the ball, it's just hard to cut through all the underbrush and see it and work toward a solution."

European Union leaders are holding their latest summit meeting to try to bring an end to the near two-year-old debt crisis, but appear to have again been unable to strike a straightforward deal capable of calming volatile global financial markets.

"As I look at Europe - and I hope I'm wrong - I think you've got to assume that the political issues will grind on for a long period of time. So the key that we learned in the U.S. is that you've got to stabilize the banks while that happens," Paulson said.

"The way you do that is with something that is big and powerful and easy to understand and the longer you wait the more expensive it is," he added.

"When regulators are trying to put out fires, there is a huge premium on market stability and market confidence. I think whatever maximizes that is what people will move toward because that is what protects society."

The urge for action and reform clearly understood by markets is clear to Paulson, who in 2008 steered the U.S. economy through its worst crisis since the Great Depression.

"I'm not somebody who sits on the sidelines and criticizes because what we had in one country was difficult. To have multiple countries have to work it through and come together with different political dynamics and economic dynamics is even more difficult," he said.

And it's one reason why Paulson believes a practical approach and the improved transparency it brings would maximise the economic benefits of the U.S.-China relationship.

maximize

FASTER REFORM, BETTER STABILITY

Improving economic transparency in China through more rapid reforms would accelerate wealth creation and underpin stability in the face of external economic shocks, such as that currently caused by sinking import demand from its biggest trading partner -- a desperately debt-ridden Europe.

"When China makes decisions, from what I see, it looks through a lens and the lens is stability," Paulson said.

"I think the argument someone needs to make is what's the path to greater stability? I believe it is getting to the point where there is greater likelihood of sustainable economic prosperity and stability by going faster rather than slower (with reform)" he said.

"They need to accelerate the process and give themselves more tools to defend their own economy from shocks from outside. That's why I would accelerate."

Reform of China's closed capital account is a long-stated desire in Washington, which believes the closely controlled currency gives Beijing an unfair advantage in global trade.

Paulson said a free-floating yuan was in China's interests and would help deliver the rebalancing of the economy that Beijing's leadership says it wants, but that avoiding points of international tension was why his institute focused on business projects and local government relationships instead.

"There will be ups and downs in the U.S.-China relationship, based upon what the issues of the day are and what's happening in Washington and what's happening in Beijing. But a lot gets done outside of that environment," he said.

That approach would become more important still in the face of soaring environmental challenges to economic expansion that both countries face and an area where the Paulson Institute was focusing its activities.

"The Western model, particularly the U.S. model (of economic growth), is flawed as it relates to China. There are not enough resources in the world for 1.3 billion Chinese to live the way we've lived in the United States. So there's no doubt that we need alternative sources of clean energy," he said.

"I say there is probably more mutuality of interest to come together here because this problem impacts both of us. A ton of carbon is equally harmful whether it comes from the U.S. or China and we both benefit from energy

http://www.newsmeat.com/news/meat.php?articleId=124124171&channelId=2951&buyerId=newsmeatcom&buid=3281

"WHEN THE POWER OF LOVE OVERCOMES THE LOVE OF POWER, THE WORLD WILL KNOW PEACE"
lexie
lexie
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum