Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
Vietnam may remove deposit rate ceiling: official I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
Vietnam may remove deposit rate ceiling: official I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2024 9:25 am by swizzlestick

» ZIGPLACE
Vietnam may remove deposit rate ceiling: official I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
Vietnam may remove deposit rate ceiling: official I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
Vietnam may remove deposit rate ceiling: official I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
Vietnam may remove deposit rate ceiling: official I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
Vietnam may remove deposit rate ceiling: official I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
Vietnam may remove deposit rate ceiling: official I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
Vietnam may remove deposit rate ceiling: official I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
Vietnam may remove deposit rate ceiling: official I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
Vietnam may remove deposit rate ceiling: official I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
Vietnam may remove deposit rate ceiling: official I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
Vietnam may remove deposit rate ceiling: official I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
Vietnam may remove deposit rate ceiling: official I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
Vietnam may remove deposit rate ceiling: official I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
Vietnam may remove deposit rate ceiling: official I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
Vietnam may remove deposit rate ceiling: official I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm by kenlej

» Dinar Daily Facebook Page
Vietnam may remove deposit rate ceiling: official I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 3:34 pm by Ponee

» The Fundamentals of Finance and Pimpy Live
Vietnam may remove deposit rate ceiling: official I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 18, 2024 7:17 am by Dinarhater

» Why Won't the Iraqi Dinar Scam Die?
Vietnam may remove deposit rate ceiling: official I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 17, 2024 5:19 pm by RamblerNash

Vietnam may remove deposit rate ceiling: official

Go down

Vietnam may remove deposit rate ceiling: official Empty Vietnam may remove deposit rate ceiling: official

Post by lexie Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:46 pm

November 21, 2011

Vietnam may remove deposit rate ceiling: official

The 14 percent cap on bank deposit rates is only a temporary measure to ensure safety for the financial system and can be lifted when the market becomes stable, a central bank official said.

The ceiling was introduced in an attempt to prevent unhealthy competition between lenders, Nguyen Thi Hong, deputy director of the Monetary Policy Department at the central bank, was cited as saying in a report on news website VnExpress.

“Interest rates are what banks mainly use to compete with each other in attracting deposits. So when the market is unstable, the lack of a rate cap would likely lead to a race between banks, hurting the system's safety,” she said.

Hong said when interest rates are stabilized, the authorities may consider removing the cap. “I believe after aggressive measures recently taken to deal with banks violating the rate cap, a race among lenders will not happen again.”

The State Bank of Vietnam in September banned commercial banks from paying more than 14 percent on dong deposits in order to bring lending rates down.

Two partly private lenders, Dong A and HDBank, have been found violating the regulation. Central bank inspectors last week asked HDBank’s board of management to dismiss Deputy CEO Dam The Thai from his position as a punishment. Dong A has been banned from opening branches for a year.

Some experts have called for the removal of the cap.

To Kim Ngoc, vice president of the Banking Academy in Hanoi, said interest rates are high in Vietnam because there is a large gap between investment and savings. This is even more noticeable when money supply for the economy is restricted, she said.

“When monetary policies are tightened, interest rates will surge… So why put a cap on interest rates?” she asked.

Earlier this month, Masato Miyazaki, a Washington-based division chief in the IMF’s Asia and Pacific department, had said the deposit cap should be eliminated as "people are likely somewhat discouraged from putting their dong into bank accounts."

http://www.vietfinancenews.com/2011/11/vietnam-may-remove-deposit-rate-ceiling.html

"WHEN THE POWER OF LOVE OVERCOMES THE LOVE OF POWER, THE WORLD WILL KNOW PEACE"
lexie
lexie
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum