Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Phony Tony sez: Full Steam Ahead!
APEC CEOs to world leaders: boost trade and growth I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:51 am by Mission1st

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
APEC CEOs to world leaders: boost trade and growth I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am by Mission1st

» Russia aren't taking any prisoners
APEC CEOs to world leaders: boost trade and growth I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm by kenlej

» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
APEC CEOs to world leaders: boost trade and growth I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» ZIGPLACE
APEC CEOs to world leaders: boost trade and growth I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
APEC CEOs to world leaders: boost trade and growth I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
APEC CEOs to world leaders: boost trade and growth I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
APEC CEOs to world leaders: boost trade and growth I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
APEC CEOs to world leaders: boost trade and growth I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
APEC CEOs to world leaders: boost trade and growth I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
APEC CEOs to world leaders: boost trade and growth I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
APEC CEOs to world leaders: boost trade and growth I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
APEC CEOs to world leaders: boost trade and growth I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
APEC CEOs to world leaders: boost trade and growth I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
APEC CEOs to world leaders: boost trade and growth I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
APEC CEOs to world leaders: boost trade and growth I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
APEC CEOs to world leaders: boost trade and growth I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
APEC CEOs to world leaders: boost trade and growth I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
APEC CEOs to world leaders: boost trade and growth I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm by kenlej

» Dinar Daily Facebook Page
APEC CEOs to world leaders: boost trade and growth I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 3:34 pm by Ponee

APEC CEOs to world leaders: boost trade and growth

Go down

APEC CEOs to world leaders: boost trade and growth Empty APEC CEOs to world leaders: boost trade and growth

Post by lexie Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:14 am

Nov 11, 2011 07:59 EST

APEC CEOs to world leaders: boost trade and growth

HONOLULU (Reuters) - Asia-Pacific CEOs will press world leaders on Friday to boost growth and seal a regional trade deal, goals made more urgent by the European debt crisis that has darkened global economic growth prospects.

Business leaders advising the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) summit said a "volatile and uncertain economic environment" was discouraging private-sector investment and could spawn protectionist sentiment.

In a letter to U.S. President Barack Obama, who arrives for the Honolulu talks late on Friday, CEOs called on governments "to liaise closely with business as we work together to stimulate economic growth and create jobs in the short term, and work toward balanced growth in the long term."

With Europe in danger of slipping into a recession and U.S. growth sluggish, Asia represents the best bet for keeping the world economy on track.

Senior officials drafting an APEC communique reached consensus on the need for all member economies to bolster themselves against the potential spillover from Europe.

But there was no sign the summit of countries that account for more than half of global economic output would offer any concrete measures to help the euro-zone cope with its crisis.

APEC leaders, who meet on the weekend, were also expected to keep the heat on China over what many see as an artificially undervalued yuan that hurts competitors like the United States.

The issue has been a major irritant between Washington and Beijing, which has become increasingly assertive in a region where Obama now wants to refocus U.S. attention.

Friday's agenda includes executives from Caterpillar, General Electric and Wal-Mart, as well as Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard and Singapore's Lee Hsien Loong.

A regional trade deal known as the Transpacific Partnership was high on the list of priorities for business executives, and they urged leaders to sign the agreement by the middle of 2012.

"ACT NOW"

Nine countries -- the United States, Australia, New Zealand, Vietnam, Malaysia, Singapore, Brunei, Chile and Peru -- are expected to say on Saturday they have reached the broad outlines of a deal. Japan may also join, giving the pact greater heft.

But even if a deal is reached, it would not address the immediate problem of sustaining global growth should Europe's debt situation deteriorate further.

U.S. Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner urged APEC countries to do whatever they could to boost growth in order to cushion the global economic blow from Europe.

Unlike the United States, where the Federal Reserve has already lowered interest rates to near zero, many Asian countries still have room to reduce official borrowing costs to try to bolster growth.

In addition, China, South Korea and other Asian economies hold more than $4 trillion in foreign reserves, giving them financial firepower to boost government spending.

"There's a very strong rationale for economies that have the capacity to do it to act now to strengthen growth," Geithner said.

China said it would take steps to support growth but appeared to rule out a rapid rise of its yuan, saying it would pursue a stable policy on its currency.

"The Chinese government will continue to adopt a proactive financial policy and stable currency policy," China's Vice Finance Minister Wang Jun said at a meeting of the region's finance ministers, according to the Xinhua news agency.

China would "accelerate the transformation of the mode of economic development, strive to build a long-term and effective mechanism to broaden domestic demand, and boost consumption, while continuing to stabilize and expand external imports", he said.

http://www.newsmeat.com/news/meat.php?articleId=122786919&channelId=2951&buyerId=newsmeatcom&buid=3281

"WHEN THE POWER OF LOVE OVERCOMES THE LOVE OF POWER, THE WORLD WILL KNOW PEACE"
lexie
lexie
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum