Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
Manufacturing In China And Vietnam: A Perspective I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
Manufacturing In China And Vietnam: A Perspective I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2024 9:25 am by swizzlestick

» ZIGPLACE
Manufacturing In China And Vietnam: A Perspective I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
Manufacturing In China And Vietnam: A Perspective I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
Manufacturing In China And Vietnam: A Perspective I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
Manufacturing In China And Vietnam: A Perspective I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
Manufacturing In China And Vietnam: A Perspective I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
Manufacturing In China And Vietnam: A Perspective I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
Manufacturing In China And Vietnam: A Perspective I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
Manufacturing In China And Vietnam: A Perspective I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
Manufacturing In China And Vietnam: A Perspective I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
Manufacturing In China And Vietnam: A Perspective I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
Manufacturing In China And Vietnam: A Perspective I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
Manufacturing In China And Vietnam: A Perspective I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
Manufacturing In China And Vietnam: A Perspective I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
Manufacturing In China And Vietnam: A Perspective I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
Manufacturing In China And Vietnam: A Perspective I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm by kenlej

» Dinar Daily Facebook Page
Manufacturing In China And Vietnam: A Perspective I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 3:34 pm by Ponee

» The Fundamentals of Finance and Pimpy Live
Manufacturing In China And Vietnam: A Perspective I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 18, 2024 7:17 am by Dinarhater

» Why Won't the Iraqi Dinar Scam Die?
Manufacturing In China And Vietnam: A Perspective I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 17, 2024 5:19 pm by RamblerNash

Manufacturing In China And Vietnam: A Perspective

Go down

Manufacturing In China And Vietnam: A Perspective Empty Manufacturing In China And Vietnam: A Perspective

Post by lexie Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:46 am

Manufacturing In China And Vietnam: A Perspective
By Scott Ellyson, CEO, East West Manufacturing

Manufacturing.Net - October 11, 2011

Those of us who work in China have seen numerous changes in just the past decade as the country evolves from an agrarian society to an industrial one. The speed of the transformation has been astonishing, and the process is far from complete. Now Vietnam is emerging as a player in the global manufacturing market, although there are still a number of challenges to be met when working in this country.

Ten years ago, Jeff Sweeney and I co-founded East West Manufacturing (www.ewmfg.com) in Atlanta to bring U.S.-based companies both the cost-savings and speed to market offered by Asian manufacturing, along with the quality control Western companies demand. We began by forging partnerships with a number of manufacturing facilities in China, Thailand, Vietnam, Taiwan and India, and later, we purchased factories for our team to operate in Changzhou, China and Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.

Looking back over a decade, it's interesting to compare the China of the mid-1990's to the China of today. Back then, China's laborers had a well-deserved reputation for their strong work ethic, and the costs of manufacturing were among the lowest in the world. However, the country's poor infrastructure, low-tech suppliers and inexperience with quality control posed difficult challenges. Companies could manufacture products quickly and cheaply in China, but distribution was difficult and product quality was almost never up to U.S. standards.

Fast forward to 2011. In a remarkably short time, China has built modern freeways, high-speed trains, subway systems and five-star hotels to host business travelers from around the globe. There are high-tech suppliers in place who actively promote their capabilities internationally. While the laborers still work extremely hard, there is a new emphasis on work/life balance along with a new focus on product quality. The trade-off? The cost-savings of manufacturing in China versus domestic manufacturing have been cut in half.

Chinese leaders must continue to address the country's population size, income disparity, inflation and corruption. However, the Chinese can be proud of their country's momentum, adaptability and far-sighted government. It's important to note the innovation coming out of China where the average lead time to obtain a patent is 2-3 years, versus the 8-9 year timeframe in the U.S.

As for Vietnam, the country is still in the early stages of its industrial evolution. While labor costs are very low -- approximately one-fourth what they are in China -- the country suffers from poor infrastructure and supplier base, a lack of talented management and engineers and an abundance of red tape. However, Vietnam can be a successful location for some manufacturing as long as companies import their own management and technical expertise.

Moving forward Asian countries will develop special areas of manufacturing expertise, as China is already doing with high tech equipment. Vietnam will follow the example of its neighbor to the west and continue to develop the infrastructure and capabilities needed to compete, probably at the expense of some of the labor cost savings. As for the U.S., our government must incentivize investment and reduce corporate taxes so our businesses can compete successfully worldwide.

Years ago, offshore manufacturing was only feasible for the largest of firms, but now smaller companies are finding value in manufacturing all or part of their products in Asia without sacrificing quality. For U.S. based companies, the cost-savings allow products to be more competitively priced, resulting in greater market share. As China and Vietnam, along with other Asian countries, continue to develop manufacturing expertise, their efforts can spur us to revitalize America's entrepreneurial leadership so we can maintain our historic role as the pace setter in the new global manufacturing market.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About East West Manufacturing

Founded in Atlanta in 2001, East West Manufacturing is a recognized, respected expert in the planning, design and implementation of offshore product manufacturing for original equipment manufacturers and distributors. The company's transparent supply chain, on-site quality control and logistics systems reduce the risks and complexities of offshore manufacturing. Working primarily in China and Vietnam, EW draws on its expertise to act as a customer advocate throughout the manufacturing and supply chain process, including negotiating contracts, providing translation services and navigating cultural differences. Proven systems give East West Manufacturing customers the speed to market, quality and cost advantages essential to succeed in today's competitive markets.

http://www.manufacturing.net/article.aspx?id=276090&menuid=242

"WHEN THE POWER OF LOVE OVERCOMES THE LOVE OF POWER, THE WORLD WILL KNOW PEACE"
lexie
lexie
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum