Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
Exploring Tech in Iraq: ‘Hackasuly – Promoting tech literacy for a new generation of Iraqis’ I_icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
Exploring Tech in Iraq: ‘Hackasuly – Promoting tech literacy for a new generation of Iraqis’ I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2024 9:25 am by swizzlestick

» ZIGPLACE
Exploring Tech in Iraq: ‘Hackasuly – Promoting tech literacy for a new generation of Iraqis’ I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
Exploring Tech in Iraq: ‘Hackasuly – Promoting tech literacy for a new generation of Iraqis’ I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
Exploring Tech in Iraq: ‘Hackasuly – Promoting tech literacy for a new generation of Iraqis’ I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
Exploring Tech in Iraq: ‘Hackasuly – Promoting tech literacy for a new generation of Iraqis’ I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
Exploring Tech in Iraq: ‘Hackasuly – Promoting tech literacy for a new generation of Iraqis’ I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
Exploring Tech in Iraq: ‘Hackasuly – Promoting tech literacy for a new generation of Iraqis’ I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
Exploring Tech in Iraq: ‘Hackasuly – Promoting tech literacy for a new generation of Iraqis’ I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
Exploring Tech in Iraq: ‘Hackasuly – Promoting tech literacy for a new generation of Iraqis’ I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
Exploring Tech in Iraq: ‘Hackasuly – Promoting tech literacy for a new generation of Iraqis’ I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
Exploring Tech in Iraq: ‘Hackasuly – Promoting tech literacy for a new generation of Iraqis’ I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
Exploring Tech in Iraq: ‘Hackasuly – Promoting tech literacy for a new generation of Iraqis’ I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
Exploring Tech in Iraq: ‘Hackasuly – Promoting tech literacy for a new generation of Iraqis’ I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
Exploring Tech in Iraq: ‘Hackasuly – Promoting tech literacy for a new generation of Iraqis’ I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
Exploring Tech in Iraq: ‘Hackasuly – Promoting tech literacy for a new generation of Iraqis’ I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
Exploring Tech in Iraq: ‘Hackasuly – Promoting tech literacy for a new generation of Iraqis’ I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm by kenlej

» Dinar Daily Facebook Page
Exploring Tech in Iraq: ‘Hackasuly – Promoting tech literacy for a new generation of Iraqis’ I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 3:34 pm by Ponee

» The Fundamentals of Finance and Pimpy Live
Exploring Tech in Iraq: ‘Hackasuly – Promoting tech literacy for a new generation of Iraqis’ I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 18, 2024 7:17 am by Dinarhater

» Why Won't the Iraqi Dinar Scam Die?
Exploring Tech in Iraq: ‘Hackasuly – Promoting tech literacy for a new generation of Iraqis’ I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 17, 2024 5:19 pm by RamblerNash

Exploring Tech in Iraq: ‘Hackasuly – Promoting tech literacy for a new generation of Iraqis’

Go down

Exploring Tech in Iraq: ‘Hackasuly – Promoting tech literacy for a new generation of Iraqis’ Empty Exploring Tech in Iraq: ‘Hackasuly – Promoting tech literacy for a new generation of Iraqis’

Post by claud39 Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:55 pm

https://www.iraqbritainbusiness.org/news/exploring-tech-in-iraq-hackasuly-promoting-tech-literacy-for-a-new-generation-of-iraqis

Exploring Tech in Iraq: ‘Hackasuly – Promoting tech literacy for a new generation of Iraqis’

1st Mar 2019

Exploring Tech in Iraq: ‘Hackasuly – Promoting tech literacy for a new generation of Iraqis’ HackaSuly

Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world”. In a country which has seen its fair share of weapon misuse over the last few decades Mandela’s quote could not be more relevant in the climate of present-day Iraq. With a beleaguered state education system and struggling infrastructure, there exists a community within the Tech Sector that is trying to navigate these challenges and promote education of Iraqi youths through the cultivation of digital skills that will help them reach their goals and find meaningful employment.
In the IBBC’s Tech Series: Exploring Tech in Iraq, we speak to some of the innovators and founders of tech organisations making a difference in Iraq.
One such organisation, HackaSuly, is an initiative that aims to promote technology in Sulaimani, Kurdistan and wider Iraq through tech events, hackathons, meetups and to create a network of tech enthusiasts.
We spoke to one of the founders, Hero Mohammed, to find out more about HackaSuly’s events, how they are empowering young Iraqis, the inspiration behind the founding of the organisation and any advice she has to aspiring tech entrepreneurs.

“I believe there is a great potential in Iraq for the tech-industry. The people of Iraq are hungry for stability, innovation and facilities after decades of war and conflict” – Hero Mohammed, Founder of HackaSuly

Growing up in Sulaimani, Iraqi Kurdistan, Hero describes her desire to participate in coding challenges and tech events but due to a near complete lack of opportunities, this simply was not possible. In 2015, she helped organise HackaErbil, the first Hackathon in Iraq, which would inspire her to embark on a journey to help others in the community to have the opportunities her peers did not have as college students. Building on the success of that first event, Hero started by organising the first hackathon in Sulaimani with the help of some friends.
So how exactly does HackaSuly help young coders through its events? HackaSuly is trying to help young coders to develop their skills and match them with the existing tech market demands. In the meanwhile, they are encouraged to update themselves with cutting-edge technologies and tools.
Until now, they have had three different types of events.
[list="margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 20px; margin-left: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-left: 0px; border: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; background-image: initial; background-position: initial; background-size: initial; background-repeat: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; color: rgb(28, 28, 27); font-family: acherus_grotesque_-_regular, Helvetica, Arial; font-size: medium;"]
[*]Meet and code (Co-founded with Razhan Hameed): regular weekly coding meetups for coders and people who are interested in coding to come together, collaborate and share their knowledge and skills.

[*]HackaSuly Hackathon (co-organised with Snur Hamid): an annual hackathon that brings together developers, designers and entrepreneurs to come up with ideas that have a technological implementation, form teams and develop their prototypes over a weekend.

[*]Suli Tech Festival (Co-founded and co-organised with Razhan Hameed in collaboration with five one labs): a day-long tech celebration in Sulaimani. The Festival brought together young innovators and members of the local tech community with leaders and companies in the industry. The goal was to help promote technology, generate more interest in the field, and expand knowledge of career opportunities (from the participant’s side) and potential hires (from the business’ side) in the tech industry in Sulaimani. The Festival contained a number of exciting events over the course of the day, including: a welcome speech by the Deputy Prime Minister of Kurdistan Regional Government, a Coding Challenge, an Intro Workshop to Web Development, a Tech Career Fair and Project Presentations.

[/list]
Exploring Tech in Iraq: ‘Hackasuly – Promoting tech literacy for a new generation of Iraqis’ HackaSuly-Cover-600x400While events of this nature may be common in more tech-developed countries, their establishment in Iraq brings many serious challenges. Hero describes how their ideas and events are new to the society in general and the biggest challenge has being delivering their message. Explaining the events and ideas especially when seeking funds and support have been challenging. When they first started with the HackaSuly hackathon, there was significant difficultly making people within the tech industry, even professionals, understand what a hackathon is.
Support has been key to growing the operation, Hero states great support has been forthcoming from local and international NGOs and private sector companies, especially those that are operating within the Iraqi tech industry, many as part of their Social Responsibility programs. More support is necessary to keep momentum growing, especially government contributions.

“I can imagine HackaSuly in 5 years… A large tech community across the country working together to make technology an important sector for the economic development of Kurdistan and Iraq” – Hero Mohammed, Founder of HackaSuly

Inspired by her strong love of coding and tech, Hero is one of the inspiring young innovators that are driving tech literacy and interest in a new generation of Iraqis. By creating a community of tech enthusiasts in Iraq and Iraqi Kurdistan, HackaSuly is empowering young people to believe in their abilities, learn new skills and create for themselves tech start-ups in Iraq’s fast growing tech Sector.
As Hero states: Access to new technologies can have many benefits for any developing countries. One such benefit is its impact on reducing the costs of production. Other ways technology is helping developing countries is by boosting economies through innovation, SMBs and advanced communication.
IBBC is holding a Tech Conference in Iraq in early 2019, where we aim to bring together the key innovators transforming the digital landscape in the country, explore solutions to better governance and industry reforms using technology and give a platform to young Iraqi entrepreneurs breaking the mould. For more information, and to get involved, please email: London@webuildiraq.org or visit: https://www.iraqbritainbusiness.org/event/tech-conference-in-baghdad.
Alexander Southworth – IBBC
claud39
claud39
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum