Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Phony Tony sez: Full Steam Ahead!
US Senate readies to vote on China currency bill I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:51 am by Mission1st

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
US Senate readies to vote on China currency bill I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am by Mission1st

» Russia aren't taking any prisoners
US Senate readies to vote on China currency bill I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm by kenlej

» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
US Senate readies to vote on China currency bill I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» ZIGPLACE
US Senate readies to vote on China currency bill I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
US Senate readies to vote on China currency bill I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
US Senate readies to vote on China currency bill I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
US Senate readies to vote on China currency bill I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
US Senate readies to vote on China currency bill I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
US Senate readies to vote on China currency bill I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
US Senate readies to vote on China currency bill I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
US Senate readies to vote on China currency bill I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
US Senate readies to vote on China currency bill I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
US Senate readies to vote on China currency bill I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
US Senate readies to vote on China currency bill I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
US Senate readies to vote on China currency bill I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
US Senate readies to vote on China currency bill I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
US Senate readies to vote on China currency bill I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
US Senate readies to vote on China currency bill I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm by kenlej

» Dinar Daily Facebook Page
US Senate readies to vote on China currency bill I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 3:34 pm by Ponee

US Senate readies to vote on China currency bill

Go down

US Senate readies to vote on China currency bill Empty US Senate readies to vote on China currency bill

Post by lexie Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:13 pm

October 3, 2011

US Senate readies to vote on China currency bill

The U.S. Senate has taken up a bill to punish China for its alleged currency manipulation, a measure that has divided the Republican presidential field and put the White House in a bind.

The legislation — backed by Democrats and Republicans in the polarized Congress, but opposed by Beijing and potent U.S. business groups — faces a key procedural vote set for 5:30 p.m. (2130 GMT) Monday.

Democratic Senator Chuck Schumer, a key author of the measure, predicted the bill would clear that hurdle easily on the road to an “overwhelming vote” to approve it and send it to the House of Representatives.

“The time for asking China nicely is over,” he said Friday.

But the bill faces an uphill fight in the House, where Republican leaders have no plans to bring it up for a vote unless the issue flares up as a core dispute in the November 2012 presidential races, several aides said.

And while White House spokesman Jay Carney told reporters last week that the administration was “reviewing” the legislation and would not yet take a formal position, Schumer and others have said President Barack Obama opposes it.

The White House and Republican House leaders are likely mindful of stiff opposition to the bill from the business community in the wake of a letter from 51 U.S. industry groups warning it would spark a “counterproductive” trade war.

The measure builds on congressional anger at the refusal by Obama and his Republican predecessor, George W. Bush, to formally designate China as a currency manipulator in annual reports.

It would make it harder to avoid such a diagnosis, while making it easier for U.S. firms to seek retaliatory tariffs against Chinese imports if Beijing is found to keep its currency — and thus its goods — artificially cheap.

With the election season heating up, the bill's backers have tied it to the sour U.S. economy and the high 9.1 percent unemployment rate and said that China's trade policy has cost millions of American jobs.

A recent study by the left-of-center Economic Policy Institute found that the U.S. trade deficit with China has eliminated or displaced nearly 2.8 million jobs since 2001.

But the legislation has split the top two Republican White House contenders, with Texas Governor Rick Perry opposing it and Mitt Romney saying he would make China's currency an issue on his first day in office.

Romney has dubbed China an “economic threat” and vowed to designate Beijing a “currency manipulator,” a step that can trigger retaliatory U.S. sanctions under existing law.

But “this is a free trade issue and Governor Perry does not support this bill,” said a spokesman for his campaign, Mark Miner.

House Democrats hope that anger at the sour economy and at what are seen as China's unfair trade practices will help them force a vote with a little-used parliamentary procedure.

But so far, 174 Democrats — and not one Republican — have signed a so-called “discharge petition” to do just that, leaving it well shy of the 218 signatures it needs, according to House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi's office.

Last year, a similar bill cleared the House by a lopsided 348-79 margin, with 99 Republicans voting yes.

Beijing unsurprisingly opposes the measure: Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Hong Lei last week urged U.S. lawmakers to “reconsider their decision and refrain from pushing through the bill” and warned against “politicizing economic trade issues and resorting to trade protectionism.”

Republican White House hopeful and former U.S. ambassador to China Jon Huntsman told Fox News Channel last week that he “would sign it simply because you need to keep pressure on China” but warned Beijing would retaliate.

“You take action against China, you can expect them to rebut that action with commensurate tariffs,” he said. “During a recession, you don't want a trade war.”

http://www.chinapost.com.tw/business/global-markets/2011/10/03/318537/US-Senate.htm

"WHEN THE POWER OF LOVE OVERCOMES THE LOVE OF POWER, THE WORLD WILL KNOW PEACE"
lexie
lexie
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum