Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
GCC’s economy continues recovery, seen at 3% in ’19 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 10, 2024 5:58 am by RamblerNash

» CBD Vape Cartridges
GCC’s economy continues recovery, seen at 3% in ’19 I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
GCC’s economy continues recovery, seen at 3% in ’19 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
GCC’s economy continues recovery, seen at 3% in ’19 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
GCC’s economy continues recovery, seen at 3% in ’19 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
GCC’s economy continues recovery, seen at 3% in ’19 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
GCC’s economy continues recovery, seen at 3% in ’19 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
GCC’s economy continues recovery, seen at 3% in ’19 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
GCC’s economy continues recovery, seen at 3% in ’19 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
GCC’s economy continues recovery, seen at 3% in ’19 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
GCC’s economy continues recovery, seen at 3% in ’19 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
GCC’s economy continues recovery, seen at 3% in ’19 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
GCC’s economy continues recovery, seen at 3% in ’19 I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
GCC’s economy continues recovery, seen at 3% in ’19 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
GCC’s economy continues recovery, seen at 3% in ’19 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm by kenlej

» Dinar Daily Facebook Page
GCC’s economy continues recovery, seen at 3% in ’19 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 3:34 pm by Ponee

» The Fundamentals of Finance and Pimpy Live
GCC’s economy continues recovery, seen at 3% in ’19 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 18, 2024 7:17 am by Dinarhater

» Why Won't the Iraqi Dinar Scam Die?
GCC’s economy continues recovery, seen at 3% in ’19 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 17, 2024 5:19 pm by RamblerNash

» Frat President Charged With Stealing $267K to Buy Worthless Iraqi Dinars
GCC’s economy continues recovery, seen at 3% in ’19 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 17, 2024 5:05 pm by RamblerNash

» Fact Check: NO Record 'Quantum Financial System' Exists Beyond Claims In Videos, Online Articles
GCC’s economy continues recovery, seen at 3% in ’19 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 15, 2024 6:15 pm by RamblerNash

GCC’s economy continues recovery, seen at 3% in ’19

Go down

GCC’s economy continues recovery, seen at 3% in ’19 Empty GCC’s economy continues recovery, seen at 3% in ’19

Post by GirlBye Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:36 pm

GCC’s economy continues recovery, seen at 3% in ’19 1054762

Economic growth in the energy-rich Gulf will recover in 2018 from a contraction last year but remains vulnerable to volatility in crude oil prices, the IMF said on Tuesday.

The global lender predicted that an overall energy price recovery from 2015-2016 lows would spur the economies of the six-nation Gulf Cooperation Council to grow by 2.4 percent in 2018 and 3.0 percent in 2019, after a contraction of 0.4 percent last year.

Grouping Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, the GCC states together pump over 17 million barrels per day and depend heavily on crude revenues.

But “the growth outlook for oil exporters remains subject to significant uncertainty about the future path of oil prices,” the IMF said in its Regional Economic Outlook for the Middle East and North Africa (MENA).

After their earlier extended recovery, oil prices have shed a fifth of their value in just one month, with Brent crude trading Tuesday at under $70 a barrel for the first time since April.

The IMF’s director for the Middle East and Central Asia, Jihad Azour, said the decline in oil prices will not impact the lender’s forecasts because they were based on prices of around $70 a barrel.

“It is clear that oil prices are volatile and becoming more so recently,” said Azour, who urged GCC states to consolidate their economic stability.

“If there is one lesson to learn from this it is that countries need to ... use this as an opportunity to increase their (fiscal) buffers, reduce their level of deficit ... and as away to accelerate some of their structural reforms,” Azour told AFP.

He said that oil prices are forecast to further decline to around $60 a barrel.

Azour said that while GCC states have made some progress in economic reforms and the introduction of value-added tax by Saudi Arabia and the UAE, they still need to do more.

They have to rationalize spending, reduce current expenditures used mainly for salaries and defense, redirect subsidies to serve the needy only and raise spending on the infrastructure and education, he said.

The IMF still needs a few months to assess the implementation of VAT in Saudi Arabia and UAE “but based on the feedback we got from authorities it was smooth and the impact on prices was fairly limited,” he added.

The IMF called on GCC states, which are among the few countries with no taxation regimes, to impose corporate and personal income tax in order to diversify their revenue sources.

Azour said that the IMF has not raised this politically sensitive issue with authorities in the Gulf states.

Growth in non-GCC oil exporters in the MENA region, which include Iran, Iraq, Algeria and Libya, is projected to slow to 0.3 percent in 2018, from three percent the previous year, and pick up to 0.9 percent in 2019, the IMF said.

“This largely reflects the expected impact of the re-imposition of US sanctions on Iran, which is likely to reduce Iranian oil production and exports significantly over the next two years at least,” the IMF said.

It projected Iran’s economy will shrink by 1.6 percent this year and 3.6 percent in 2019.

For oil-importing countries in MENA, growth is expected to continue at a pace of 4.5 percent in 2018, before dropping back to four percent next year, the IMF said.

This level of growth is not sufficient to create the required jobs for a region marred by instability and civil strife, it said.

Oil revenues for MENA exporters have increased by about $260 billion (230 billion euros) over the period 2016 to 2018.

This has mostly been due to a price rise generated as a result of production cuts in nations belonging to the OPEC cartel, as well as non-OPEC producers.

The current account balance will turn from a deficit into a surplus and overall budget shortfalls will decline, the IMF said. — AFP

http://saudigazette.com.sa/article/547954/BUSINESS/GCCs-economy-continuesrecovery-seen-at-3-in-19
GirlBye
GirlBye
VIP NewsHound
VIP NewsHound

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum