Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
Like it or Not, Regime Change is Coming to Iran I_icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
Like it or Not, Regime Change is Coming to Iran I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2024 9:25 am by swizzlestick

» ZIGPLACE
Like it or Not, Regime Change is Coming to Iran I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
Like it or Not, Regime Change is Coming to Iran I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
Like it or Not, Regime Change is Coming to Iran I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
Like it or Not, Regime Change is Coming to Iran I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
Like it or Not, Regime Change is Coming to Iran I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
Like it or Not, Regime Change is Coming to Iran I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
Like it or Not, Regime Change is Coming to Iran I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
Like it or Not, Regime Change is Coming to Iran I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
Like it or Not, Regime Change is Coming to Iran I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
Like it or Not, Regime Change is Coming to Iran I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
Like it or Not, Regime Change is Coming to Iran I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
Like it or Not, Regime Change is Coming to Iran I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
Like it or Not, Regime Change is Coming to Iran I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
Like it or Not, Regime Change is Coming to Iran I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
Like it or Not, Regime Change is Coming to Iran I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm by kenlej

» Dinar Daily Facebook Page
Like it or Not, Regime Change is Coming to Iran I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 3:34 pm by Ponee

» The Fundamentals of Finance and Pimpy Live
Like it or Not, Regime Change is Coming to Iran I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 18, 2024 7:17 am by Dinarhater

» Why Won't the Iraqi Dinar Scam Die?
Like it or Not, Regime Change is Coming to Iran I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 17, 2024 5:19 pm by RamblerNash

Like it or Not, Regime Change is Coming to Iran

Go down

Like it or Not, Regime Change is Coming to Iran Empty Like it or Not, Regime Change is Coming to Iran

Post by GirlBye Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:01 pm

And it's not because of America.

Like it or Not, Regime Change is Coming to Iran RTS24ZP0

Change is coming to Iran, but it has nothing to do with either the U.S. withdrawelfrom the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (also called the Iran Deal) or the Trump administration’s sanctions regime. Indeed, while U.S. policymakers debate cooperation and coercion at the best strategies to change Iran’s behavior, neither the Trump administration nor its opposition is prepared for the regime change Iran faces: The death of Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei.

The supreme leader is the ultimate power in Iran. Constitutionally, he is the commander in chief of the Iranian armed forces. Theologically, he is also (deputy of the Messiah). While diplomats focus on Iran’s elected leaders and their appointees—President Hassan Rouhani and Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif, for example—the supreme leader monopolizes all substantive decisions. He rules for life.
Khamenei’s life is nearing an end. In 2014, Khamenei had surgery for prostate cancer. Authorities used Khamenei’s account to tweet out a photo of the supreme leader in the hospital, likely an attempt to begin preparing the Iranian public for the inevitable. Khamenei recovered, but today he is 79 years old, and old age is taking its toll. So too is the legacy of a 1981 assassination attempt. When Khamenei dies—whether in a month, a year, or five years, the Islamic Republic will face an unprecedented crisis.

Iran’s Looming Succession Crisis
Since the 1979 Islamic Revolution, there has been only one transition. Revolutionary leader Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini died on June 3, 1989. American may remember Khomeini as an unrepentant revolutionary motivated by anti-Americanism, but he was also a man of deep religious credentials. When, in 1988, politics and theological disputes pushed Grand Ayatollah Hussein-Ali Montazeri aside, Khamenei became Khomeini’s deputy and natural successor. Khamenei was a compromise candidate, however, a weak man chosen because he was acceptable to major political factions. He never enjoyed the religious respect Khomeini had. When, in 1994, the Iranian government suggested Khamenei should be recognized by Shias worldwide as the top-ranking Shia scholar, he was basically laughed off the stage and force to back down. Within the context of the Islamic Republic, however, Khamenei could derive legitimacy from being blessed by Khomeini.

The forthcoming transition will be different, however. While, in theory, the 88-member Assembly of Experts selects the new supreme leader, the 1989 transition shows that they are little more than a rubber stamp body, approving the compromise candidate the Islamic Republic’s various powerbrokers put forward. In the three decades since the last transition, however, the balance of these power centers has shifted. The Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC), for example, has become far more powerful and controls well over 0 pwercent of Iran’s economy. Nor are many of the Islamic Revolution’s founding fathers left. Former President Ali Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani died almost two years ago. Expediency Council chairman and former Judiciary chief Mahmoud Hashemi Shahroudi reportedly suffers from brain cancer. While Khamenei benefited in 1989 from Khomeini’s pre-death blessing, Khamenei neither has the standing nor the charisma to ensure his choice, whoever it may be, will survive the inevitable infighting.

There are other scenarios which could complicate succession. Unlike in Oman, for example, which stipulates a timeline for choosing a new sultan upon the passing of Sultan Qaboos bin Said, there is no constitutional timeline for Iran’s Assembly of Experts to meet, creating uncertainty and an opening for groups like the IRGC to consolidate control.  If the Assembly of Experts does meet, but there is no single consensus candidate, it is possible that the Supreme Leadership could pass to a council instead of an individual. Khomeini repressed—but did not resolve—this political-theological debate and it could reemerge with a vengeance. For the Islamic Republic, however, a leadership council would exacerbate instability as it takes factional fighting to a new level.

The decisions which will shape post-Khamenei Iran

Regime change has become a loaded term, especially in the fifteen-years after a U.S. invasion ousted Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein, but when Khamenei dies, it is inevitable in Iran. Alas, the United States remains woefully unprepared.
How will the United States react, for example, if infighting leads to a civil war inside Iran? That may seem far-fetched, but not too long ago so did civil war in Libya, Syria, and Yemen. Perhaps the nightmare scenario would be the Revolutionary Guards opportunistically seizing power. The result would not simply be a military dictatorship, but an ideological one, resourced with billions of dollars and unbeholden to even the limited check the rest of the Iranian system today provides.

When U.S. SEAL Team Six took out Al Qaeda leader Osama Bin Laden, aspiring leaders competed with each other to stage spectacular attacks. Soon, the United States and Europe will might need to worry not only about clerical factions but IRGC factions as well. Is there a strategy to co-opt certain factions, neutralize others, or snuff out IRGC ambitions entirely? Would Washington, for example, be prepared to guarantee corrupt IRGC leaders diplomatic and financial immunity if they take their families and embezzled billions into exile in Moscow, Istanbul, or Baku?

After nearly forty years of life in an Islamic Republic, most Iranians are tired. Protests which erupted last December continue intermittently, and labor unrest is growing. If Khamenei’s death takes protests to the next level and makes regime change inevitable, what would be the U.S. position? Is Washington prepared to advocate that the Islamic Republic’s civil service will remain, to ensure them that change would not undermine their financial security and perhaps even catalyze positive regime change?

The United States is home to the freest and most prosperous Iranian community on earth. Iranian-Americans are human capital, capable of helping Iran transition even if they must first give up their dreams of governing or supplanting those Iranian civil servants who have arisen under the Islamic Republic. But what has the White House or State Department done to organize and rally them? A referendum ushered in the Islamic Republic. Would Washington support a referendum to restore a constitutional democracy such as Iran briefly enjoyed at the beginning of the twentieth century? What would the wording of that referendum question be? Would the United States support a constitutional convention for Iran? If so, under what parameters?

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/middle-east-watch/it-or-not-regime-change-coming-iran-36157
GirlBye
GirlBye
VIP NewsHound
VIP NewsHound

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum