Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
Press freedom group slams Iraq's 'disruptive' media decision I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
Press freedom group slams Iraq's 'disruptive' media decision I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2024 9:25 am by swizzlestick

» ZIGPLACE
Press freedom group slams Iraq's 'disruptive' media decision I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
Press freedom group slams Iraq's 'disruptive' media decision I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
Press freedom group slams Iraq's 'disruptive' media decision I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
Press freedom group slams Iraq's 'disruptive' media decision I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
Press freedom group slams Iraq's 'disruptive' media decision I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
Press freedom group slams Iraq's 'disruptive' media decision I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
Press freedom group slams Iraq's 'disruptive' media decision I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
Press freedom group slams Iraq's 'disruptive' media decision I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
Press freedom group slams Iraq's 'disruptive' media decision I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
Press freedom group slams Iraq's 'disruptive' media decision I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
Press freedom group slams Iraq's 'disruptive' media decision I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
Press freedom group slams Iraq's 'disruptive' media decision I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
Press freedom group slams Iraq's 'disruptive' media decision I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
Press freedom group slams Iraq's 'disruptive' media decision I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
Press freedom group slams Iraq's 'disruptive' media decision I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm by kenlej

» Dinar Daily Facebook Page
Press freedom group slams Iraq's 'disruptive' media decision I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 3:34 pm by Ponee

» The Fundamentals of Finance and Pimpy Live
Press freedom group slams Iraq's 'disruptive' media decision I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 18, 2024 7:17 am by Dinarhater

» Why Won't the Iraqi Dinar Scam Die?
Press freedom group slams Iraq's 'disruptive' media decision I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 17, 2024 5:19 pm by RamblerNash

Press freedom group slams Iraq's 'disruptive' media decision

Go down

Press freedom group slams Iraq's 'disruptive' media decision Empty Press freedom group slams Iraq's 'disruptive' media decision

Post by GirlBye Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:09 pm

Press freedom group slams Iraq's 'disruptive' media decision Sng-new

ERBIL (Kurdistan 24) – Iraq’s Communication and Media Commission (CMC) recently called on all the media organizations working in the country to stop what they called abuses against "national and religious symbols," a move a press freedom advocacy group on Thursday described as "disruptive" to the profession's core function.
According to a document issued by the CMC, a government-linked body called on "all licensed media organizations" to "stop any abuses against national and religious symbols."
This wording in the document appears to include all media outlets operating in the country, local as well as foreign press organizations with offices in Iraq.
The exact definition of the term "symbol" in the context of the CMC statement is unclear as some Iraqis often describe party leaders, clerics or officials as such and see offenses towards them as crossing red lines. The CMC’s decision is "based on the authorities given to us by virtue of decree 65 of 2004, which granted our entity the regulation of the media and communication sectors in the country."
Human rights groups and legislative experts have long criticized such vaguely worded and open-ended language in Iraqi legislation and regulations, saying they are prone to loose interpretations that can lead to draconian measures and politically motivated prosecutions.
The Commission called on the media to "adopt objectivity and transparency in covering events, and abide by the principles, codes of the profession, and practice."
"Otherwise," read the document, "legal action will be taken against violators."
In response to the move, the Journalistic Freedoms Observatory (JFO), a media rights watchdog based in Baghdad, said the CMC is attempting to "intimidate local and foreign media."
The decision is "bad" and will prove "disruptive" to the work of the media and journalists, the JFO stated and called on Iraqi lawmakers to stand against the CMC ruling.
The commission had earlier halted the broadcast of international outlets and the closed down offices of television stations in Iraq, among them Al Jazeera and Asharq Al-Awsat. It also maintains a ban on a number of websites.
The decision of the media body "represents a deviation from the democratic customs pursued by Iraq after" 2003, the JFO said.
The Observatory also called on Prime Minister Adil Abdul-Mahdi to "take active and effective steps in the current phase and the future, including stopping the arbitrary measures issued by the [CMC]."
Iraq ranks low on the Press Freedom Index published yearly by Reporters Without Borders, compiling the assessments of a panel of experts on the countries. According to their 2018 rankings, the nation is at 160th place out of a total of 180, placing just four points higher than its eastern neighbor, Iran. 

http://www.kurdistan24.net/en/news/ffd0b81d-58d0-426d-b5da-1958a841ee57
GirlBye
GirlBye
VIP NewsHound
VIP NewsHound

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum