Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
German Industry Slams ‘America First' After Siemens Is Foiled in Iraq I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 10, 2024 5:58 am by RamblerNash

» CBD Vape Cartridges
German Industry Slams ‘America First' After Siemens Is Foiled in Iraq I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
German Industry Slams ‘America First' After Siemens Is Foiled in Iraq I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
German Industry Slams ‘America First' After Siemens Is Foiled in Iraq I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
German Industry Slams ‘America First' After Siemens Is Foiled in Iraq I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
German Industry Slams ‘America First' After Siemens Is Foiled in Iraq I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
German Industry Slams ‘America First' After Siemens Is Foiled in Iraq I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
German Industry Slams ‘America First' After Siemens Is Foiled in Iraq I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
German Industry Slams ‘America First' After Siemens Is Foiled in Iraq I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
German Industry Slams ‘America First' After Siemens Is Foiled in Iraq I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
German Industry Slams ‘America First' After Siemens Is Foiled in Iraq I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
German Industry Slams ‘America First' After Siemens Is Foiled in Iraq I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
German Industry Slams ‘America First' After Siemens Is Foiled in Iraq I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
German Industry Slams ‘America First' After Siemens Is Foiled in Iraq I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
German Industry Slams ‘America First' After Siemens Is Foiled in Iraq I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm by kenlej

» Dinar Daily Facebook Page
German Industry Slams ‘America First' After Siemens Is Foiled in Iraq I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 3:34 pm by Ponee

» The Fundamentals of Finance and Pimpy Live
German Industry Slams ‘America First' After Siemens Is Foiled in Iraq I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 18, 2024 7:17 am by Dinarhater

» Why Won't the Iraqi Dinar Scam Die?
German Industry Slams ‘America First' After Siemens Is Foiled in Iraq I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 17, 2024 5:19 pm by RamblerNash

» Frat President Charged With Stealing $267K to Buy Worthless Iraqi Dinars
German Industry Slams ‘America First' After Siemens Is Foiled in Iraq I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 17, 2024 5:05 pm by RamblerNash

» Fact Check: NO Record 'Quantum Financial System' Exists Beyond Claims In Videos, Online Articles
German Industry Slams ‘America First' After Siemens Is Foiled in Iraq I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 15, 2024 6:15 pm by RamblerNash

German Industry Slams ‘America First' After Siemens Is Foiled in Iraq

Go down

German Industry Slams ‘America First' After Siemens Is Foiled in Iraq Empty German Industry Slams ‘America First' After Siemens Is Foiled in Iraq

Post by GirlBye Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:09 pm

Germany’s main industry federation said U.S. pressure to quash Siemens AG’s $15 billion power-plant deal with Iraq is unacceptable and shows how President Donald Trump’s “America First” stance is corroding business decisions.

Iraq signed a memorandum of understanding with General Electric Co. on Oct. 15 after U.S. officials warned Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi that U.S.-Iraqi relations would be at risk if his government accepted the deal with Siemens, Bloomberg reported. Adel Jeryan, Iraq’s deputy electricity minister for production and projects, said the country on Saturday had also inked an MOU with Siemens and that both memorandums were non-binding.

“To implement the America First doctrine in this way in the global competition of multinational companies is not acceptable,” Joachim Lang, managing director of the Federation of German Industries, or BDI, told Welt am Sonntag newspaper. Governments and companies should make deals based on business interests, he said.

While a final decision hasn’t been made and the Iraqi government said approval will be based on the nature of the presented proposals, Siemens said it remains committed to its road map for projects in Iraq. The deal would be a milestone for both industrial conglomerates struggling with their power equipment business.

Until the U.S. intervention, Siemens was considered the front-runner. Siemens Chief Executive Officer Joe Kaeser, who has a seat on BDI’s expanded executive board, 
met Abadi in September to discuss plans to revamp Iraq’s power generation and swap out infrastructure built by GE.

German Deputy Economy Minister Thomas Bareiss also lobbied Abadi in September. After the meeting, he touted “long-term contacts and experience in the region by companies such as Siemens” as a way to rebuild the country.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-10-20/german-industry-slams-america-first-as-siemens-foiled-in-iraq
GirlBye
GirlBye
VIP NewsHound
VIP NewsHound

Back to top Go down

German Industry Slams ‘America First' After Siemens Is Foiled in Iraq Empty Re: German Industry Slams ‘America First' After Siemens Is Foiled in Iraq

Post by GirlBye Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:23 pm

Hopes of Siemens' Iraq deal shrink as US steams in

Four weeks ago, Siemens looked to have closed one of the biggest deals in its history. But Donald Trump seems to have elbowed the company into second place, behind General Electric.
German Industry Slams ‘America First' After Siemens Is Foiled in Iraq 0204431874-AFP-iraq-electricity-generation-GE-Siemens-powerThis summer in Baghdad. Source: AFP
A month ago, Siemens was set for one of the biggest deals in its corporate history. CEO Joe Kaeser journeyed to Baghdad to meet the Iraqi prime minister, amid strong rumors of a €13 billion ($15 billion) deal to modernize the country’s electricity system.

On Saturday, Mr. Kaeser returned to the country to sign a “landmark” agreement. “A milestone for the new Iraq,” he announced triumphantly. Siemens signed a preliminary agreement to add 11 Gigawatts to Iraq’s power infrastructure.

Unfortunately there was a catch. On the other side of Baghdad, the Iraqi government was signing another multi-billion dollar deal to modernize the electricity system, with Siemens’s arch-rival General Electric (GE). GE announced that it had a deal to add 14GW to Iraq’s warn-torn grid.

There has been speculation for the last month about whether Siemens or GE would win a contract from Baghdad. Reportedly, rumors suggested that the latter was ahead in the bidding. Now, it seems, Baghdad is two-timing the industrial giants, keeping its options open. Both agreements, Handelsblatt has learned, are non-binding declarations of intent: nice words, but no commitments.

Quote :A great milestone for the New #Iraq, as we signed landmark MoU with @IraqiGovt to explore implementing our roadmap. It’s about #electricity in every home, jobs, #healthcare, skills development & more. Our commitment to the Iraqi people has never wavered. #PowerOfAPromisepic.twitter.com/iSicBBCxWr
— Joe Kaeser (@JoeKaeser) October 21, 2018

It seems that no one single company will win the massive prize of modernizing Iraq’s electricity system, shattered by decades of war. But GE may well be in the stronger position. In recent weeks, as Siemens appeared to pull ahead in the race, the US government exerted massive pressure behind the scenes.

Blood in the ground
“It really became a different ball game,” said one industry source. With American blood in the ground and thousands of US troops still stationed in the country, Washington was in no mood to see a European company win a Iraqi infrastructure project of this size. Promises of federal financing guarantees are said to have been extended to GE.

GE also enjoys practical advantages. US industry sources say Iraq wants to see immediate improvements. Baghdad fears electricity shortages next summer, a possible source of unrest. With 60 percent of the country’s electricity system already using its technology, GE says it can make an immediate impact.

The German government strongly backed the Siemens bid behind the scenes, with Chancellor Angela Merkel telephoning the Iraqi prime minister, and German ministers accompanying Mr. Kaeser on his trips to Baghdad. It was all meant to be an example of German soft power in full effect. But Mr. Trump’s arm-twisting may prove stronger than Berlin’s charm offensive.
Siemens still has hopes of a lucrative deal. Two years ago, the company concluded a wide-ranging “energy partnership” with Baghdad, developing a comprehensive energy plan to develop the electricity system.

Mr. Kaeser says this “road map” will bring immediate improvements to the lives of hundreds of thousands of Iraqis. Within four years, eleven extra gigawatts would bring reliable power to 23 million people.

Siemens is betting on the breadth of its services: the German company wants to plug gaps in the electricity network with mobile transformer solutions, and by connecting the country to neighboring electricity networks using high-voltage direct-current transmission lines. 

Both companies in the running also propose using gas that’s usually flared in oil fields to support the electricity generation. Gas is burned at present because Iraq lacks sufficient infrastructure to make use of the fuel.

There should be plenty of business available: it will cost $150 billion to rebuild Iraq, according to an assessment by the World Bank. Fixing the power infrastructure is particularly important to Baghdad, given the heat in the summertime that has triggered unrest as people suffer in the absence of air conditioning.

In recent years, Siemens built three large power plants in Egypt in record time, and seeks to expand its involvement in international infrastructure mega projects. Hope springs eternal.

https://global.handelsblatt.com/companies/hopes-of-siemens-iraq-deal-shrink-as-us-steams-in-974239
GirlBye
GirlBye
VIP NewsHound
VIP NewsHound

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum