Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
Highlights: G20, IMF/World Bank meetings in Washington I_icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
Highlights: G20, IMF/World Bank meetings in Washington I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2024 9:25 am by swizzlestick

» ZIGPLACE
Highlights: G20, IMF/World Bank meetings in Washington I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
Highlights: G20, IMF/World Bank meetings in Washington I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
Highlights: G20, IMF/World Bank meetings in Washington I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
Highlights: G20, IMF/World Bank meetings in Washington I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
Highlights: G20, IMF/World Bank meetings in Washington I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
Highlights: G20, IMF/World Bank meetings in Washington I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
Highlights: G20, IMF/World Bank meetings in Washington I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
Highlights: G20, IMF/World Bank meetings in Washington I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
Highlights: G20, IMF/World Bank meetings in Washington I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
Highlights: G20, IMF/World Bank meetings in Washington I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
Highlights: G20, IMF/World Bank meetings in Washington I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
Highlights: G20, IMF/World Bank meetings in Washington I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
Highlights: G20, IMF/World Bank meetings in Washington I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
Highlights: G20, IMF/World Bank meetings in Washington I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
Highlights: G20, IMF/World Bank meetings in Washington I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm by kenlej

» Dinar Daily Facebook Page
Highlights: G20, IMF/World Bank meetings in Washington I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 3:34 pm by Ponee

» The Fundamentals of Finance and Pimpy Live
Highlights: G20, IMF/World Bank meetings in Washington I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 18, 2024 7:17 am by Dinarhater

» Why Won't the Iraqi Dinar Scam Die?
Highlights: G20, IMF/World Bank meetings in Washington I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 17, 2024 5:19 pm by RamblerNash

Highlights: G20, IMF/World Bank meetings in Washington

Go down

Highlights: G20, IMF/World Bank meetings in Washington Empty Highlights: G20, IMF/World Bank meetings in Washington

Post by lexie Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:48 pm

Sep 23, 2011 17:41 EDT

Highlights: G20, IMF/World Bank meetings in Washington

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The following are highlights of comments by finance ministers and central bankers in Washington this week for meetings of the Group of 20 and the semiannual meetings of the International Monetary Fund and World Bank.

AUSTRALIAN TREASURER WAYNE SWAN:

ON POSSIBLE GLOBAL DOUBLE-DIP RECESSION

"The IMF has outlined its view on global growth, and it says that risk is on the downside. But they are still talking about global growth on the order of 4 percent. I think it is far too early to be making those sorts of dire predictions (of a double dip)."

ON ATMOSPHERE AT TALKS IN WASHINGTON

"There's a pretty somber mood in the meetings here."

ON WHETHER CHINA WOULD ALLOW YUAN APPRECIATION

"China has been a participant in all these discussions, and I believe they come to the table in good faith."

EUROPEAN CENTRAL BANK PRESIDENT JEAN-CLAUDE TRICHET ON RISE OF RISKS:

"Risks to the stability of the EU financial system have increased considerably."

ON EUROPE AT THE CENTER OF A BROADER CRISIS:

"We have in front of us a global crisis of sovereign risk and we are the epicenter of this global crisis."

ON SPREAD OF STRESS:

"Over the past few months, sovereign stress had moved from smaller economies to some of the larger EU countries. Signs of stress are evident in many European government bond markets, while the high volatility in equity market indicates that tensions have spread across capital markets around the world."

ON RISKS OF CONTAGION:

"The high interconnectedness in the EU financial system has led to a rapidly rising risk of significant contagion. This is threatening financial stability in the EU as a whole and adversely impacts the real economy in Europe and beyond."

ON NEED FOR SWIFT RESPONSE:

"Looking ahead, decisive and swift action is required from all authorities."

ON NEED FOR COORDINATED EFFORTS;

"Authorities must act in total unison with a total commitment to safeguard financial stability. Supervisors should coordinate efforts to strengthen bank capital, including having recourse to backstop facilities, taking benefit from the possibility of the European Financial Stability Facility to lend to governments in order to recapitalize banks, including in non-program countries."

FORMER TREASURY SECRETARY AND WHITE HOUSE ADVISER LAWRENCE SUMMERS ON SERIOUSNESS OF SITUATION:

"It's good that there are Bretton Woods institutions at a moment like this. This is the 20th annual meeting I have been privileged to attend. There has not been a prior meeting at which matters have had more gravity and at which I have been more concerned about the future of the global economy."

ON ECONOMIC RECOVERY:

"There has if anything been too much collective belt tightening. Our challenge is ensuring that growth proceeds at a satisfactory rate in the years ahead."

"The notion of expansionary fiscal contraction is oxymoronic and a bit moronic as well."

ON EUROPE'S PROBLEMS:

"The resolution of the situation in Europe in a way that will protect the global economy goes centrally to two questions. It goes to the credit of the large European sovereigns which has come into increasing doubt in the market system. And it goes to the credit of the major European financial institutions, whose ability to provide credit in the future has been impaired by what has happened.

"Without a resolution of that situation, matters in Europe will not be fundamentally changed.

"If a generous sovereign from Mars came down and paid off every penny of Greece's debt tomorrow, the fundamentals of the European crisis would not be altered. And I for one will not believe we have moved past the grudging incrementalist approach to policy that has been so costly so far until the terms of the policy discussion are not principally involving the next payment to Greece, as has been the case in recent weeks."

CITIGROUP CEO VIKRAM PANDIT ON IMPACT ON U.S. BANKS OF A EURO ZONE SOVEREIGN DEBT DEFAULT

"The direct financial exposure to the European banking system is extremely manageable. What's the indirect impact? You're going to have one massive demand shock... The fact is we should all expect some sort of a GDP impact if you have a demand shock that's going to be that significant and that's going to have an impact on business."

SOUTH KOREAN FINANCE MINISTER BAHK JAE-WAN:

"Rather than short-term fiscal consolidation plans, we need credible mid- and long-term ones that can balance short-term risks to growth and fiscal sustainability."

"Emerging economies, for their part, need to step up efforts to mitigate excessive capital flows with strengthened monitoring on capital movements, and the introduction of various macro-prudential measures."

"Financial safety nets should also be established in parallel at the global level to absorb potential external shocks sufficiently."

"The (IMF) fund should further strengthen its capacity to better cope with a crisis in large advanced economies, and to address a systemic risk that could lead to widespread crises. For these reasons, we must expedite the approval process on the fund's quota increase that was agreed last year, and discussion must begin now on the expansion of the Fund's available resources."

Source: Reuters US Online Report Top News

http://www.newsmeat.com/news/meat.php?articleId=119213351&channelId=2951&buyerId=newsmeatcom&buid=3281

"WHEN THE POWER OF LOVE OVERCOMES THE LOVE OF POWER, THE WORLD WILL KNOW PEACE"
lexie
lexie
Elite Member
Elite Member

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum