Dinar Daily
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Phony Tony sez: Full Steam Ahead!
The Real Balancing Rocks on Every Zimbabwe Dollar I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:51 am by Mission1st

» Dave Schmidt - Zim Notes for Purchase (NOT PHYSICAL NOTES)
The Real Balancing Rocks on Every Zimbabwe Dollar I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2024 11:45 am by Mission1st

» Russia aren't taking any prisoners
The Real Balancing Rocks on Every Zimbabwe Dollar I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2024 6:48 pm by kenlej

» Deadly stampede could affect Iraq’s World Cup hopes 1/19/23
The Real Balancing Rocks on Every Zimbabwe Dollar I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 am by Ditartyn

» ZIGPLACE
The Real Balancing Rocks on Every Zimbabwe Dollar I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 am by Zig

» CBD Vape Cartridges
The Real Balancing Rocks on Every Zimbabwe Dollar I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2024 2:10 pm by Arendac

» Classic Tony is back
The Real Balancing Rocks on Every Zimbabwe Dollar I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2024 2:53 pm by Mission1st

» THE MUSINGS OF A MADMAN
The Real Balancing Rocks on Every Zimbabwe Dollar I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Arendac

»  Minister of Transport: We do not have authority over any airport in Iraq
The Real Balancing Rocks on Every Zimbabwe Dollar I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:40 am by Verina

» Did Okie Die?
The Real Balancing Rocks on Every Zimbabwe Dollar I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 am by Arendac

» Hello all, I’m new
The Real Balancing Rocks on Every Zimbabwe Dollar I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:46 pm by Jonny_5

» The Renfrows: Prophets for Profits, Happy Anniversary!
The Real Balancing Rocks on Every Zimbabwe Dollar I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 6:46 pm by Mission1st

» What Happens when Cancer is treated with Cannabis? VIDEO
The Real Balancing Rocks on Every Zimbabwe Dollar I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 8:58 am by MadisonParrish

» An Awesome talk between Tucker and Russell Brand
The Real Balancing Rocks on Every Zimbabwe Dollar I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 31, 2024 12:16 am by kenlej

» Trafficking in children
The Real Balancing Rocks on Every Zimbabwe Dollar I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 7:43 pm by kenlej

» The second American Revolution has begun, God Bless Texas
The Real Balancing Rocks on Every Zimbabwe Dollar I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2024 6:13 pm by kenlej

» The Global Currency Reset Evolution Event Will Begin With Gold, Zimbabwe ZWR Old Bank Notes
The Real Balancing Rocks on Every Zimbabwe Dollar I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm by Mission1st

» Tucker talking Canada
The Real Balancing Rocks on Every Zimbabwe Dollar I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 24, 2024 6:50 pm by kenlej

» Almost to the end The goodguys are winning
The Real Balancing Rocks on Every Zimbabwe Dollar I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 9:03 pm by kenlej

» Dinar Daily Facebook Page
The Real Balancing Rocks on Every Zimbabwe Dollar I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 3:34 pm by Ponee

The Real Balancing Rocks on Every Zimbabwe Dollar

3 posters

Go down

The Real Balancing Rocks on Every Zimbabwe Dollar Empty The Real Balancing Rocks on Every Zimbabwe Dollar

Post by RamblerNash Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:56 pm

The Real Balancing Rocks on Every Zimbabwe Dollar

By Atlas Obscura Contributor

The Real Balancing Rocks on Every Zimbabwe Dollar Zimbabwe_100_trillion_2009_obverse.jpg.CROP.promo-large2
Zimbabwe's old one hundred trillion dollar note with the balancing rocks.
Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe/Public Domain

Atlas Obscura on Slate is a blog about the world’s hidden wonders. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter.

These three balancing rocks were once the main design motif of one of the highest of the high-denomination currencies in the world, the Zimbabwean dollar. Every note issued by Zimbabwe’s Central Bank—from the one-dollar note issued after independence in 1980 to the 100 trillion-dollar banknote (100,000,000,000,000) issued in the hyperinflationary zenith of 2008, has pictured these three stones.

The image of the stones was chosen as a conjoined metaphor for development and environmental protection following the country’s independence from white-ruled Rhodesia. The rocks themselves can be found in a national park with an abandoned feel in Epworth, a suburb in the thinly signposted outskirts of Harare. The stones pictured on the banknotes are the most iconic example of this peculiar geological feature found in many places throughout Zimbabwe: rocks formations naturally situated in perfect balance.

The Real Balancing Rocks on Every Zimbabwe Dollar Fullsizerender.jpg.CROP.promovar-medium2
Worthy of notes: Harare's balancing rocks and the inspiration for Zimbabwe's currency.
Atlas Obscura user gordonpeake

Matopos itself is well worth seeking out. Once inside, visitors can either walk or drive around the Stone Age rock formations with evocative names like the "Giant’s Playground" and "Flying Boat." Even rocks with no honorific convey a silent magnitude. Outside the park, some enterprising residents have built their homes among the giant boulders that pock all of Epworth.  

The Zimbabwean dollar, however, is no more. The government effectively abandoned its currency and was demonetised entirely in 2015. Now, the notes can be found on eBay, on the back of playing cards, in the hands of hawkers trying to sell the dead currency to tourists visiting Zimbabwe, or as props for cautionary tales of the dangers of runaway inflation, devaluations, and mercurial government economic policy.

Nowadays, Zimbabwe has a multicurrency system. Money from almost every continent in the world is legal tender: the Aussie dollar, the British pound, the Botswanan pula, the Chinese Yuan, the Euro, the Indian Rupee, the Japanese yen, the South African rand. However, the most predominant note in circulation is the U.S. dollar, in which prices are quoted in shops, restaurants, and, yes, even parks housing the iconic balancing stones. "Bond coins" of one-, two-, five-, 10-, 25-, and 50-cent dominations are given out as small change.

But the stones are making a making a comeback in the newest type of money in Zimbabwe’s bountiful currency basket. Last year, the Zimbabwean government introduced a "bond note" that is pegged to the U.S. dollar and is illustrated with those same rocks from the old Zimbabwean dollar. Only a two-dollar bond note is in circulation currently, but the government plans to incrementally introduce five, 10, 20, and 50 dollar values over the next few months.

Having a local currency bound to another is unusual but by no means unique. Bosnia-Herzegovina has convertible mark tied originally to the German deutschmark and now one to one with the euro. For 50 or so years, there was de facto parity between the pounds of Ireland and the United Kingdom. But there remains apprehensiveness among many Zimbabweans who remember the old Zimbabwe dollar days. They live in hope that their new money will be as solid, stable, and unwavering as these three majestic rocks themselves.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/atlas_obscura/2017/01/23/these_balancing_rocks_were_on_every_zimbabwean_banknote.html

The Real Balancing Rocks on Every Zimbabwe Dollar 258310255 
>>>TNTBS's YouTube Channel<<<
RamblerNash
RamblerNash
GURU HUNTER
GURU HUNTER

Back to top Go down

The Real Balancing Rocks on Every Zimbabwe Dollar Empty Re: The Real Balancing Rocks on Every Zimbabwe Dollar

Post by roxy22222222 Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:18 pm

:tup:
roxy22222222
roxy22222222
GURU HUNTER
GURU HUNTER

Back to top Go down

The Real Balancing Rocks on Every Zimbabwe Dollar Empty Re: The Real Balancing Rocks on Every Zimbabwe Dollar

Post by Harold4187 Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:30 pm

Yep im going to frame and hang mine on the wall

Harold4187

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum